Nano for Cherrys or Tangerine Tigers
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 11-10-2011, 07:39 PM   #1
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

Nano for Cherrys or Tangerine Tigers

I have a 150 gallon community tank and recently joined GWAPA, where I got a good deal on a nano 2.5 ($5) and a RedSea Nano filter in the box ($6) so I thought I would add a small heater in the filter, either Deep Blue or Hydor, and a little LED if I can get one at a decent price or a desk lamp etc.

I want to just put Red Cherry Shrimp in the tank with a little moss, maybe some tiny cholla, and float a little Riccia. I thought I could breed them here and add adults to my big tank or sell them off if it works out well. I guess I will have to cover the inlet on the nano filter with something to keep babies from getting filtered.

I did want to do something more elaborate with a UGF in a 12 gallon long, the UGF flipped upside down and capped with bio-media "coco puffs" then some stratum, etc. but this little tank came along cheap and I don't want a 2215 on a 2.5 g. tank. But as it stands I will just do Stratum alone.

I would love to hear any suggestions to help me with my setup, I can't pick up the tank and filter until early December at the next club meeting but I would like to have all my extra stuff ready to go, thanks.

Last edited by 150EH; 09-27-2012 at 04:31 AM.. Reason: update
150EH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2011, 07:57 PM   #2
Coursair
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

I use a Fluval foam piece over the intake of my HOB filter. The Shrimp love to graze on it. And no baby shrimp get sucked up. My 10g is stable enough I don't use a heater. But my room is the warmest room in the house in the winter.
Coursair is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2011, 08:45 PM   #3
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

Do me a favor and give a link to the foam piece you use, thanks.

This room is also warm it used to be my office so it has about 10 halogen track lights that get hot, my computer a little more, and my 150 which has light, filters etc., that generate heat, but I would like to be safe. I guess I should see what temp Cherry's like I alway thought it was a little cooler the the community tank like 74 to 76, I know moss likes it a little cool too.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:48 PM   #4
Dgup
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

I bought these.
http://www.amazon.com/Pre-Filter-Spo...sr=1-1-catcorr
Dgup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2011, 10:19 PM   #5
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks, I added it to my Amazon wish list.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:03 AM   #6
madness
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

The first bit of advice that I would give you is to start with the best cherry shrimp that you can get. The price of fire reds (even newer PFR) is getting so low that they are easily affordable.

Otherwise down the road you will decide you want a few dark/solid red ones and then you will be stuck either maintaining multiple strains or mixing them (which will mean that you can't sell the extras at the higher grade).

Azoo has undergravel circulating pipes that I have seen recommended for slightly planted (or shrimp only) tanks that seem like they would suit what you had in mind for the future 12G tank.

http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategor...culating-Pipes

Both shrimpnmoss and mordalphus have shrimp tanks set up along the lines of what you are suggesting (using UGF that are pipes or tubes and which are powered by external canister filters). shrimpnmoss has a pretty good diary of sorts describing it over at shrimpnow and mordalphus has a thread going right now in the inverts sub-forum here about how he just set up the filtration in a re-done shrimp tank. Just some info to help you on your way when you get around to setting up a bigger tank (with UGF).

For cherry shrimp the stratum should be great. You don't need to really soft water and low pH for Neos to thrive so Fluval Shrimp Stratum combined with tap water should work great.

If you have the shrimp nano-tank in a climate controlled room away from windows and doors (drafts) you probably don't need a heater. Finding a nano-heater can be a PITA.
madness is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2011, 05:07 AM   #7
madness
Wannabe Guru

ATI (the Hydro-Sponge company) have a Filter-Max pre-filter that seems to work quite well and is better at resisting clogging than the make-shift sponge pre-filters that people seem to use most of the time.

The downside is that the pre-filters are pretty bulky.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:00 AM   #8
Danimals
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by madness View Post
The first bit of advice that I would give you is to start with the best cherry shrimp that you can get. The price of fire reds (even newer PFR) is getting so low that they are easily affordable.

Otherwise down the road you will decide you want a few dark/solid red ones and then you will be stuck either maintaining multiple strains or mixing them (which will mean that you can't sell the extras at the higher grade).

Azoo has undergravel circulating pipes that I have seen recommended for slightly planted (or shrimp only) tanks that seem like they would suit what you had in mind for the future 12G tank.

http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategor...culating-Pipes

Both shrimpnmoss and mordalphus have shrimp tanks set up along the lines of what you are suggesting (using UGF that are pipes or tubes and which are powered by external canister filters). shrimpnmoss has a pretty good diary of sorts describing it over at shrimpnow and mordalphus has a thread going right now in the inverts sub-forum here about how he just set up the filtration in a re-done shrimp tank. Just some info to help you on your way when you get around to setting up a bigger tank (with UGF).

For cherry shrimp the stratum should be great. You don't need to really soft water and low pH for Neos to thrive so Fluval Shrimp Stratum combined with tap water should work great.

If you have the shrimp nano-tank in a climate controlled room away from windows and doors (drafts) you probably don't need a heater. Finding a nano-heater can be a PITA.
I suck at reading dimensions...the first # is length and then width, correct? Bout to pick one up for my 20L.
Danimals is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2011, 06:37 AM   #9
madness
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimals View Post
I suck at reading dimensions...the first # is length and then width, correct? Bout to pick one up for my 20L.
For the UGF circulation pipes?

I am not sure that it matters really but I think that the 24"x8" would be the model that you would want on a 20L (which is 30" x 12" IIRC). Since it isn't a full tank style plate like a regular UGF I don't imagine that it really matters if the dimensions go all the way to the edge of the tank.

Just remember that people are using a layer of ceramic/sintered glass bio-media both for increased biological area and to help insulate the UGF from the soil in the substrate. Many people use Matrix since it has a decent shape and quality and is available relatively cheaply in decent volumes.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:23 AM   #10
madness
Wannabe Guru

Here is the link to one pretty detailed post on a UGF pipe shrimp tank set-up - http://www.shrimpnow.com/forums/show...ll=1#post65969

Here is a link to Mordalphus' thread over in the inverts sub-forum - http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ter-setup.html

Those links might help people get a feel for the overall process though 150EH seemed to have the gist of it to start with.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:12 AM   #11
Robert H
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)

Quote:
ATI (the Hydro-Sponge company) have a Filter-Max pre-filter that seems to work quite well and is better at resisting clogging than the make-shift sponge pre-filters that people seem to use most of the time.
I think they have more than one size. It is vastly better than any other pre-filter sponge. It is a heavy duty material that lasts a LONG time and has a nice snug fit. Most others have a flimsy sponge that breaks apart in a few months or falls off.
RAOK Club #1
Kindness like love is unconditional
Robert H is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2011, 03:03 PM   #12
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

Is it this one, or maybe you could give me a link, the intake on the Red Sea Nano filter is very small, maybe 1/2 inch thin wall tubing.

EDIT: I did find some smaller ones and came across this with the dual inlets.

I had the idea for the UGF and went to the invert section to inquire about the 12 long I want to build and Mordalphus, shrimpnmoss, and others quickly chimed in telling me about the bio media, etc., but if shrimp like clean water then a tank with a spotless substrate makes common sense and to make it your bio media filter bed is just smart, bigger is better.
Old 11-11-2011, 03:40 PM   #13
madness
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150EH View Post
Is it this one, or maybe you could give me a link, the intake on the Red Sea Nano filter is very small, maybe 1/2 inch thin wall tubing.

EDIT: I did find some smaller ones and came across this with the dual inlets.

I had the idea for the UGF and went to the invert section to inquire about the 12 long I want to build and Mordalphus, shrimpnmoss, and others quickly chimed in telling me about the bio media, etc., but if shrimp like clean water then a tank with a spotless substrate makes common sense and to make it your bio media filter bed is just smart, bigger is better.
I have like 6 of the Filtermax 3 pre-filters that you have pictured here.

Work great, resist clogging pretty well (it is more like pond filter foam than fine pored aquarium filter foam) and the shrimp seem to love to pick at them and feed off of them.

I can just see how some people would not like to look at them. I don't mind one way or another but I don't have show tanks (or even aquascape the tanks) so aesthetics aren't something I can comment on much.
Old 11-12-2011, 04:54 AM   #14
cableguy69846
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Subscribed.
The Fraternity of Dirt #39
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Cable's Madness
Fish tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.
"What the smeggin smeg's he smeggin' done now?!" - Lister
cableguy69846 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2011, 07:38 AM   #15
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

Ok I get the tank & filter 12-4-11, below is the rest of my list this far in no particular order.

This one is supposed to be only 1.75 inches tall and from 64 to 86 degrees.

I think the 4.4 pound bag will be enough substrate and this heater should slide into the filter or I'll hide it in the tank.

The light is fairly sleek and has 3 blue moon lights and 18 white for day and I have no idea at what end of the Kelvin scale, but it should do the trick and last 5 years.

I got some extra filter pads because they were cheap and all this stuff is coming from the same place so shipping is cheap and I decided on this inlet strainer/sponge because it should allow the filter to work unrestricted and it was only $1.05, so....

Now I just need water, I've got the plants in another tank, and I need to buy a few Fire Red Cherry's, I think that's what they are called. If you see anything missing or any problems let me know, thank you.

Oh, I think it's just a standard 2.5 and I was thinking of a deriming then painting the back flat black or a black adhesive background and this is the filter. What beast and rated for tanks up to 3 gallons with such extreme disregard to extra half gallon of filter capacity I can hardly contain myself.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.