Awesome store - Vance's in Bucksport
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Maine

Old 11-14-2008, 09:29 PM   #1
DrDragun

PTrader: (0/0%)

Awesome store - Vance's in Bucksport

Hey guys,

I am a native on Bangor and through my travels I found Vance's tropical fish in Bucksport. It is an excellent store and worth a little drive to get to. Usually Vance will be around the store and introduce himself to customers, very nice and knowledgeable guy.

The store is not particularly big, and the emphasis is on live stock more so than equipment. In fact the equipment section is almost nonexistant although I think Vance does a lot of custom carved tank furniture. However the live fish and plants are kept very healthy and there are a lot of things you won't find at the chain stores, plus you might be able to arrange custom orders.

However the place is an experience. Vance has recently started travelling to Hawaii and making his own handcarved Hawaiian guitars, and the entire store is thoroughly decorated with a Hawaiian beach feel. He has a big display lagoon that takes up an entire room and was formerly the home of a nurse shark though I think it's smaller fish now. There is a shallow open-topped display reminiscent of a touch tank full of shrimps and crabs and interesting critters. He also displayes his hand carved wooden guitars, tank furniture and such.

Very cool place overall (although it's pretty small) and a very honest businessman. I've been a fan for about 10 yrs now and even though I live in Mass I try to make it over there when I'm up visiting my folks.

-Colby
DrDragun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2011, 06:34 PM   #2
MaineAquatics
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I've bought my entire rainbowfish collection from Vance, he's great to deal with and I've heard nothing but the best from other customers of his as well!

The shop is a bit small but it packs a punch lol, he's got more stuff crammed in there (fish selection-wise) than even the biggest box stores..

but as I said, I've bought my entire rainbowfish collection from him, why? because he's the ONLY store in the state that could get the harder to find well-colored rainbows.

Yes, you will pay LFS prices.. but he's a straight shooter.

He also is always getting in quite rare tetras.. which may not sound very exciting until you see them, I was never a tetra fan until I went to his store.
MaineAquatics is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2011, 09:22 PM   #3
fermentedhiker
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

Vance has always treated me good. I only wish I could make it up there more often.
Old 11-11-2011, 02:07 PM   #4
sink
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Hehe, yeah for those of us in the south it's quite literally quicker to go to Boston. That said, I hope to take a road trip and check the place out sometime this season.
sink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.