Wattage Measurement Question
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 11-11-2011, 01:27 AM   #1
KookScape
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
Question

Wattage Measurement Question

Why is it that in order to determine the level of lighting, you need to measure the watts? I hardly ever hear anything about the importance of temperature in tank lighting. Couldnt you have a 36 watt bulb, yet the temp was way off, making the bulb less effective for growing plants? I might not be making ANY sense but if i am, feel free to reply.
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2011, 02:01 AM   #2
Crispino L Ramos
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (456/100%)

Being a resident of the lower desert in Arizona, I take lighting temperature into consideration whether choosing the light fixture or fluorescent tube Kelvin. I like light fixtures with exhaust fans (as long as they're not noisy), external ballasts and fluorescent tubes with lower Kelvin.
Old 11-11-2011, 02:40 AM   #3
1aqumfish
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Check out hoppy's work, actually measured and explains.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/li...t5-t12-pc.html
The Fraternity of Dirt #48
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech
1aqumfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2011, 03:41 AM   #4
dbosman@msu.edu
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

The question is valid. The answer can be very complicated and confusing. Or simple.

Any light that will produce sufficient PAR (photosynthetically active radiation) will grow plants.

Ignoring the evaporation, a 96 watt actinic on a 10g tank probably won't grow anything a freshwater plant enthusiast would want to grow and look at.
So, yes, a 36 watt of the wrong temp (degrees kelvin) could be way off.

Hoppy's chart has gained wide acceptance here and while it does mention wattage, the more important part is low light, medium light, and high light for a given combination.
dbosman@msu.edu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2011, 04:09 AM   #5
HypnoticAquatic
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbosman@msu.edu View Post
The question is valid. The answer can be very complicated and confusing. Or simple.

Any light that will produce sufficient PAR (photosynthetically active radiation) will grow plants.

Ignoring the evaporation, a 96 watt actinic on a 10g tank probably won't grow anything a freshwater plant enthusiast would want to grow and look at.
So, yes, a 36 watt of the wrong temp (degrees kelvin) could be way off.

Hoppy's chart has gained wide acceptance here and while it does mention wattage, the more important part is low light, medium light, and high light for a given combination.
id beg to differ on the actinic with low light plants like anubius, ext, ext ive dont it and that was with stock t8's so you might be surprised at what they can grow, its just not very pleasant to look at for most people. so there are better options out there but that doesnt mean actinic is useless!!
HypnoticAquatic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2011, 04:35 AM   #6
dbosman@msu.edu
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

I'll clarify my post by saying pure actinic lighting probably won't grow anything a freshwater plant enthusiast would want to grow and look at, while the lights are on. Many of us find actinic lighting it a bit harsh, outside a saltwater environment.
dbosman@msu.edu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
conspiracy, lumens, measurement, temperature, watts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.