Fish compatibility
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 11-08-2011, 05:04 AM   #1
Albatross

PTrader: (0/0%)
Smile

Fish compatibility

I currently set up a 30 gallon planted aquarium. With baby tears, wisteria, and java moss. I have 5 large yellow snail and 2 neon tetras. The others dies . I am ready to add more fish but don't know what to get. I don't want any aggressive fish or fish that harass snails.

Ps do I need to feed the snails

Any ideas.
Albatross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2011, 05:30 AM   #2
Snowflake311
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Snails will eat left over food and algea. So when you feed your fish you are feeding your snails. Algea wafers or green veggies are a good idea.

Stick to small fish. If you want to keel your neons get more. A school of 6 or 8 would be good. Dwarf Cory cats love HC. I have some Corydoras habrosus with my HC and they love to dig in is but never do any damage. I am in love with sparkling gouramis. I have a breeding pair right now. They are so much fun to watch and so pretty. I have some rams horn snails with them no problems.

I am a SA cichlid person my self I have 8 different kind right now. Apistogramma borelli are a dwarf cichlid I have always wanted to keep. I have rams instead. But Apisto. Are small shy fish that tend to stay near the bottom. They might tug on your HC during spawning but are plant safe. killi fish are neat but are best kept in a tank just for them.

Neons are so inbred they are not very hardy any more. If you do get some that survive they will live a few years. Like the ones that lived might never die. Mine all died off and now I keel Galaxy danios that are far better and healthy.

I would do
3 Apistogramma. Of any kind 2 female one male
8 Corydoras habrosus
8 emperor tetras ( best tetras I ever kept. They are pretty and fun)
Maybe a 5 glass catfish because I have never had them and they look so cool.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:38 AM   #3
garfieldnfish
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

Glolight tetras, peaceful and also very pretty and if you do not what to get more neons than the glolights will most likely accept your 2 remaining tetras in their group. Hastatus or habrosus cories (bottom), hatchet fish (top).
garfieldnfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2011, 06:35 PM   #4
Java Moss
Planted Member

Go cheap: Tetras, Platies, Mollies.
The longer I'm involved in this hobby the more & more I'm convinced that Bio-Type species tanks are the way to go. Plants and fish/inverts live together in nature for a reason. I find the less I try to fight nature the better my tanks look.

- DogFish 1.24.12
Java Moss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2011, 08:40 PM   #5
Udenlo
Algae Grower

I agree with going cheap, especially if this is your first tank or your first one in a long time.
Udenlo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
fish, neon, planted aquarium, snail, tetra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.