"Blue Oasis" Update 9/11 Solids vs Rilis Post #98
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 11-02-2011, 03:34 AM   #1
ren
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (24/100%)

"Blue Oasis" Update 9/11 Solids vs Rilis Post #98

Tank: 5.5 AGA

Lighting: Fluval Ebi PC 13w

Filtration: Marina internal filter+ Toms Mini Canister Reverse UGF

Substrate: Fluval Stratum + Ceramic + dirty sponge juice

Water Change: 1/2g WC 50/50 mix distilled and tap

Flora:
Fissiden Fontanus
Christmas moss
Mini Xmas moss
Notocyphus luscens
Pellia
Water Spangles
Duckweed
Mystery Crypt

Flauna: CRS/CBS

Tank: 10 AGA

Lighting: AGA Full hood with Zoo Med Compact Fluorescent Bulb

Filtration: Toms Mini Canister UGF + Sponge Filter

Substrate: Fluval Stratum + Ceramic Rings + dirty sponge juice

Flora:
Fissiden Fontanus
Flame moss
Duckweed

Flauna: Full Blue Rili/Blue Velvet CRS Assassin Snails

Tank: 5.5 AGA

Lighting: Fluval Ebi PC 13w

Filtration: Marina S15

Substrate: Fluval Stratum + Ceramic + dirty sponge juice

Flora:
Fissiden geppii
Mystery moss (possible willow moss)
Rose moss
Notocyphus luscens
Mini pellia
Water Spangles
Duckweed

Flauna: Blue/Green Rili & culls

Last edited by ren; 09-11-2013 at 08:34 PM.. Reason: update
ren is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2011, 03:36 AM   #2
ren
Planted Tank Obsessed

Bonus If your wondering why I have an inverted water bottle with an airstone I'm trying to hatch a batch of eggs from a mother that kicked the can.

Last edited by ren; 09-11-2012 at 04:07 AM.. Reason: moving photos
Old 11-02-2011, 03:38 AM   #3
shrimpnmoss
Shrimpsanity

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to shrimpnmoss

Looks good. You don't have to sandwich your moss like that. Just use one mesh and secure the moss with fishing wire. This way you can grow twice as much moss compared to now. Maybe some on the walls too.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:40 AM   #4
Newman
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

do i see a blind shrimp in one of the photos? doesn't look like it has any eyes o_O
Old 11-02-2011, 05:15 AM   #5
ren
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpnmoss View Post
Looks good. You don't have to sandwich your moss like that. Just use one mesh and secure the moss with fishing wire. This way you can grow twice as much moss compared to now. Maybe some on the walls too.
yeah i know i didn't have fishing line at the moment so i just said what the hell just weight it down with the other piece and wait for it to grow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newman View Post
do i see a blind shrimp in one of the photos? doesn't look like it has any eyes o_O
oh yeah that picture.. no its just the glass needs some scraping damn algae. I think that shrimplets the oldest out of the dozens that are in there.

Any suggestions on what other moss can be used for a moss wall besides xmas moss?
Old 11-02-2011, 11:02 AM   #6
h4n
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (713/100%)

Looks like a nice start. I'm getting one for my birthday to! i'm gonig to do a moss wall also. I just started making/growing them yesterday.
h4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 01:21 PM   #7
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ren View Post
Any suggestions on what other moss can be used for a moss wall besides xmas moss?
You can really use any moss to your liking. Xmas and flame will grow out more fluffy but I use Taiwan moss and it grows out to cover the SS mesh just as well.
diwu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 05:57 PM   #8
ren
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by h4n View Post
Looks like a nice start. I'm getting one for my birthday to! i'm gonig to do a moss wall also. I just started making/growing them yesterday.
thanks! i tried growing a wall of fissidens but that was taking forever to happen. from when i first started the tank until a week ago the fissiden wall only had a few leaflets coming out of the mesh that i had them in. so i decided to take it out, besides the mesh looked all yellow from the algae.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwu13 View Post
You can really use any moss to your liking. Xmas and flame will grow out more fluffy but I use Taiwan moss and it grows out to cover the SS mesh just as well.
yeah i figured, maybe when the little shrimplets get bigger i'll just rip of the xmas off the breeding tube and turn that into a wall. but i kind of want a different type of moss... i'm opened to more suggestions

Update: looks like the eggs are coming along nicely (knock on wood). its been 2+ weeks since i put them in the bubbler. for the most part the eggs all have eyes, they should pop soon.

On another note i found a fresh molted shrimp that has frayed antennae should i be worried about it? is there anything i should do?
Old 11-02-2011, 06:01 PM   #9
Rainboy
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

very cool!! I love the tank!
Rainboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:39 PM   #10
ren
Planted Tank Obsessed

update 11/7

well nothing much has happened besides the babies growning super fast! another note some eggs that were in the bubbler have hatched i counted 9. i'm sill waiting on the rest.

Anyone have any ideas for food? for some reason my shrimp dont like the give food i drop in (algae wafers, shrimp cuisine, shrimplab ) even if its a tiny piece. i also try to feed spinach bokchoy and squash every now and then.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:43 PM   #11
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
update 11/7

well nothing much has happened besides the babies growning super fast! another note some eggs that were in the bubbler have hatched i counted 9. i'm sill waiting on the rest.

Anyone have any ideas for food? for some reason my shrimp dont like the give food i drop in (algae wafers, shrimp cuisine, shrimplab ) even if its a tiny piece. i also try to feed spinach bokchoy and squash every now and then.
Mine go nuts over the fluval shrimp food or Omega One all natural kelp and spirulina flakes.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
GeToChKn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:40 PM   #12
johnny313
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (36/86%)

just got my blue rili's from Niki today! where did you get yours?
johnny313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:05 PM   #13
jasonpatterson
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
On another note i found a fresh molted shrimp that has frayed antennae should i be worried about it? is there anything i should do?
Nope, nothing you can really do about it. It should look normal after a molt or two.

Quote:
update 11/7

Congrats on the bubbler working! That's awesome. If your shrimp are pooping and molting then they are eating something in the tank. It could be that there is more than enough for them to pick at on the walls/plants, or they could be eating the food you give them in stealth mode. As long as you aren't overfeeding them you ought to be fine. You can also just try feeding them regular flake fish food. I have yet to find a shrimp that won't eat it.
jasonpatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:42 AM   #14
ren
Planted Tank Obsessed

UPDATE 2/6

So fast forward into the new year after losing most of the parents, my tank started to break in. The f1 babies grew out and are showing more color than their parents. Some can range from a full head to tail sky blue and the regular rili with blue in the clear parts. I'm hoping as time goes on and babies are born that the color deepens. As of now the f1s are starting to pump out f2s . Right now I have 3+ mothers, ones about the release her clutch while the other 2 have a while until they are ready.

Tank wise much hasn't changed besides the moss growing out and the brood getting bigger. I temporaily moved the shrimp into my 10g with the bee shrimp that I got a few days ago. Equipment wise I ditched running the inline filter and add a marina s15 instead. I also added an airstone and pump to keep the water aerated, wouldn't help to have more O2 in the water would it? Originally I was going to seed the marina and move the mini canister to the 10g to run an inline again. Then I realized that this tank would be susceptible to nitrates so I just left it in. Anyway, I felt the other filter could be used for something more productive than wasting it so I put it on my 10g thats been up and running. With all the talk about UGF so I took the plunge more on that later.

excuse the glass haven't cleaned the tank in a while

Old 02-07-2012, 01:57 PM   #15
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru

Ok that answered my question in the other thread. So the F1 generation is definitely more colorful than the parents you had.

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆ Twin 10G Shrimp Tanks & 20L Grow Out Tank
diwu13 is offline   Reply With Quote