Which LEDs for planted tank? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 11-05-2011, 03:03 AM   #16
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

I've looked at few PAR38 bulbs most are 1000+ Lumens. What I can not seem to find is info on how high to mount them over a 15" deep tank (12" to the substrate.)
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2011, 04:37 AM   #17
WingoAgency
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to WingoAgency

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
I've looked at few PAR38 bulbs most are 1000+ Lumens. What I can not seem to find is info on how high to mount them over a 15" deep tank (12" to the substrate.)

Please check post #12, you will find a chart of 6,700K PAR38 bulb with high reference. However, all values are in PAR not lumens because lumen is a unit for human eyes not grow light.
WingoAgency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:29 PM   #18
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingoAgency View Post
Please check post #12, you will find a chart of 6,700K PAR38 bulb with high reference. However, all values are in PAR not lumens because lumen is a unit for human eyes not grow light.
I did look at that and while I do appreciated the help, I do not understand chart chart at all.

I simply would liked to hang two PAR38 6500K bulbs from pendants above my rimless 40gal tank 37x15x18 and I just need to know how high.

I'm sure from an enters standpoint all this is great info. But, I think a lot of it is lost on most of the readers.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:53 PM   #19
HypnoticAquatic
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

ive been lookin at getting a new led one that ive liked is a plug an play with blue an white looks good from seeing it set up. its made by sunshine systems you could do a 90w raised up or two 32w panel. ive got a 90w thats just red/blue works great but would rather have a white/blue as its much much easyer on your eyes! it has more output than i need on my 40b *well more light than i can use with proper co2 levels an fauna surviving* my lfs has the 90w about 12"+ an its got perfect coverage for me on a 40b
HypnoticAquatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 01:36 AM   #20
WingoAgency
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
I did look at that and while I do appreciated the help, I do not understand chart chart at all.

I simply would liked to hang two PAR38 6500K bulbs from pendants above my rimless 40gal tank 37x15x18 and I just need to know how high.

I'm sure from an enters standpoint all this is great info. But, I think a lot of it is lost on most of the readers.

Do you know how much PAR you need or want? Or, at least do you what light demand plants you want? The first chart in this sticky shows you the PAR value and their corresponding labels of "High Light", "Medium Light" and "Low Light". Once you define that(the type of plants you want to keep), then someone can chime how much PAR you will need with or without CO2. Before that is defined, I cannot assume what you want.

I can help you understand my chart in post #12. The light is set above the center of the circle, the first value that reads 245 in black means PAR value when the light is 18" from the bottom of the tank(i.e your substrate surface in your case). The value 89 in orange is the PAR value when the light is set at 30" above the center. When you move along the arrow where it says 9", that the distance from the center of the tank where the light is hang. So 9" from the center of your tank horizontally will give you PAR of 49 when the light is set at 30" above the center of the tank.

In conclusion, if you set 2 PAR 38 15x1W LED with 60 degree lens at height of 30" from the surface of your substrate it is still consider high light range of planted tank and you should use CO2.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:55 AM   #21
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
...In conclusion, if you set 2 PAR 38 15x1W LED with 60 degree lens at height of 30" from the surface of your substrate it is still consider high light range of planted tank and you should use CO2.
The Bulb Product info says:
• Includes twelve 1 watt Cree LED emitters
• Optimum PAR 65K Daylight emitters
• 95 lumens per watt
• 8 inch x 8 inch light spread at 8-12 inches from aquarium
• Simple operations as it fits into a standard household E26/E27 incandescent socket
• The PAR 38 LED is 5 inches wide by 4 inches with a light spread of about 12-13 inches when light is mounted 8-10" above water surface
• Focused Lumen Output

So, now I wonder is I really only need 1 PAR38 bulb?

The tank is only 15 deep and will house low light plants. If I go this route I'll use a track light pendant to mount the light so height adjustment or even adding a 2nd pendant is a non issue.
Old 11-06-2011, 04:39 PM   #22
WingoAgency
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
The Bulb Product info says:
• Includes twelve 1 watt Cree LED emitters
• Optimum PAR 65K Daylight emitters
• 95 lumens per watt
• 8 inch x 8 inch light spread at 8-12 inches from aquarium
• Simple operations as it fits into a standard household E26/E27 incandescent socket
• The PAR 38 LED is 5 inches wide by 4 inches with a light spread of about 12-13 inches when light is mounted 8-10" above water surface
• Focused Lumen Output

So, now I wonder is I really only need 1 PAR38 bulb?

The tank is only 15 deep and will house low light plants. If I go this route I'll use a track light pendant to mount the light so height adjustment or even adding a 2nd pendant is a non issue.

Because of the coverage, I think you will need 2 eventually and you can adjust the height when needed. A sign of too much light is algae growth faster than your plants

A lot of my clients use the cord from Ikea that looks like this:
[IMG] Flickr 上 WingoAgencyWhite E26-27 Light Bulb Extension IMG_1770[/IMG]
Pretty stylish when dangling from the ceiling.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:59 PM   #23
Naekuh
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_heb View Post
and i really want the shimmer effect LOL. But i havent found anything of LEDs and plants.

I can't upload a picture from my iphone. Once i have access to a pc i'll post one

Cheers
have you entirely skipped out DIY section?

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/di...-5050smds.html

I was playing with 10W LED's 5050SMD LED's... and 3W 660nm led's...

The hard part is, constant current vs constant voltage... I am playing with constant voltage... i want to play with constant current after i finished my stress tests on the 10W.

Do a little studing... red filled my thread with a bunch of info on LED's.

But an array is not hard to make... and the LED's are fairly cheap if you get them from hong kong.

The hardest part will be trying to get your heat sink array to look nice.

But u can see here, its not hard.. very simple:

My take...

10W LED's are nice... they are super bright... however at the same time they are super HOT.
How hot? they will burn out in 5-7 seconds unless u have a heat sink attached.

Not only that they will turn a stock intel cpu heat sink HOT if u dont have an active fan in 15 min.

3W LED's are nice... i havent fully gotten a chance to play with cree's tho on a constant current driver.
12V-10W LED's wont last long especially the 10W versions (1yr if your lucky), because they draw more then 900mA on 12V = 10.8W!!! which is bascially overboosting it.
But they costed me 4 dollars each, cover roughly 2 sqr ft with intensive light.... and being able to hotswap with those disconnects wont leave me crying when one does burn out.

20W, 50W, and 100W... man.... im scared on the heat output alone on a 10W's.. id hate to imagine the 50, and the 100W.
Naekuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 08:51 PM   #24
dbosman@msu.edu
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Quote:
Go for it. Hang them temporarily and raise them until the tank is lit the way you want it to be. That might be lighting most of the bottom or lighting all of it with some spill though the glass unto the floor.
They make really nice cichlid tank lighting.

Quote:
Yes, but if you read enough of the posts, long enough, the info starts to make sense. After a while you'll be one of the gurus posting info.

Please let us know, with pictures, how your two pendants work out.
dbosman@msu.edu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 08:56 PM   #25
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Because of the coverage, I think you will need 2 eventually and you can adjust the height when needed. A sign of too much light is algae growth faster than your plants

Thanks for the IKEA link.

I'm thinking I'll get the Dimmable bulb that will allow me to fine tune once I get my height close.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:42 AM   #26
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbosman@msu.edu View Post
Please let us know, with pictures, how your two pendants work out.
Trust when this is finally up, my pic posts will be more boring than Uncle Elmo & Aunt Silvia's Caribbean Cruse pics.

1st I need to do some wiring, install a switch box, dimmer and put a box in the ceiling. I think I'll put in mechanical timer inline near the breaker box too.
That ought to keep me busy for a few days.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:15 AM   #27
Jaguar
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to Jaguar

Where are you buying PAR38 bulbs? The only ones I've found are like 3,000k...
Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 01:56 AM   #28
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

Google search 38PAR LED gives you several sites

So far I think this is the one I want:
http://www.ledliquidatorsinc.com/PAR...light_bulb.php
Old 11-07-2011, 02:16 AM   #29
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

Saw several lights at Lowes today that could be used for a single PAR38 LED bulb.

Like this one: http://www.lowes.com/pd_353922-47842...3D3&facetInfo=

I don't think you could use the shade. The bottom of the goose neck is 52" off the floor. The PAR 38's are 5" long. so the bottom of the bulb would be 47" off the floor. So for a 30" tall stand with a 16" high tank you are only 1" off the surface of the water. To use this light you would have to:

>>Easy way>> set the light on a 2' high box behind the aquarium
>>Harder way>> remove the base and attach the light pole to the aquarium stand.

Or look at this light that could be mounted on the stand:http://www.direct-lighting.com/displ...m-base-BO-6133
Old 11-23-2011, 05:08 PM   #30
el_heb
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Right now i just saw a new ecoxotic panorama module on their site, it says panorama freshwater kit, it looks like the older model, with 1w per led

http://www.ecoxotic.com/catalog/prod...s/category/17/

And according to ecoxotic they recommend 1 module per 12" length it seems, and i thought of using only 2 modules for a 48" long tank to get low-med light

Would it be better the newer Pro module? The newer one is like 2-2.5 w pero module

Anyone has any experience with these?
el_heb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boostled, led, par30, truelumen pro