I need a new bulb..help
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 05-31-2005, 02:15 AM   #1
ScottyDont
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I need a new bulb..help

I have a 30in light strip that came with my tank, I have this bright yellow bulb....I haye it...its soooo yellow.....im looking for something crisp white maybe with blue....if anyone knows a bulb 30In 30W I would apperciate it

thanks Jon
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2005, 03:47 AM   #2
bharada
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Not sure what you really have as there aren't any 30" fluorescent tubes, only 24" and 36". 30w NO fluorescent tubes are 36" long.

If this was a strip for a 29g (30" wide) tank then it typically houses a 24" bulb. There are a multitude of bulb types that you can substitute that'll range from greenish white (6700K), to bright white (10000K) to pink/purple (Gro-Lux, 9235 AquaRay, Hagen Power-Glo)
Old 05-31-2005, 01:32 PM   #3
ScottyDont
Algae Grower

Ty so much, I measured my bulb its between 22" - 23" is this right? kinda confused,,,
Old 05-31-2005, 02:35 PM   #4
Oqsy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Oqsy Send a message via MSN to Oqsy Send a message via Yahoo to Oqsy

that sounds like a 20 watt 24" t12... if you can find "daylight" bulbs at your local canadian tire, etc. that will fit the fixture, they should make you happier than your current setup. typical "daylight" bulbs range from 5000K to 7500K, with the lower numbers looking more yellow, and the higher numbers moving from greenish blue toward purplish/pink (9325K bulbs are often described as "pink" or "purple" when viewed against a flat white background) 10,000K bulbs are the most impressively "white" in my opinion, and to my eyes, seem to illuminate the tank more. if your goal is for the tank to "look" brigher, then those are the way to go. if your goal is for the plants to receive more light that plants can use in photosynthesis, then anything from 5000-10,000k should suffice, but those with specific phosphors (coating that gives bulbs their "color") for plant growth (full spectrum, plant & aquarium, gro-lux, etc) are specifically designed for their output in the photosynthetic range for most plants. red plants require more light (wattage, not color temperature) than green plants to keep their color and stay healthy.

choosing light bulbs is tricky, as everyone likes things to look a little different in their tank. I used to use strictly 10,000k and 6,700K lights in my 29g tank, and while it looked VERY BRIGHT and the plants grew well, after a few months, I got very tired of the glowing white box and thought that it looked a bit unnatural and switched to GE Plant & Aquarium bulbs. These have no listed color temperature, but put out light that's probably somewhere in the 8,000K range or the 4,000K range in "apparent color temperature" as it can look like a comination of purplish and orange. (most likely spikes in both of those regionsof output for these bulbs). My plants do just as well if not better with these bulbs, which are cheaper, and have a much more "mellow" appearance. here are a few links on color temperature, the theories behind it, and misuse of color temperature designations by bulb manufacturers:

http://www.gamonline.com/catalog/col...romaticity.php
http://www.cameraguild.com/technology/kelvin.htm
http://www.phototechmag.com/previous...ane/lane1.html
http://www.3drender.com/glossary/colortemp.htm
http://www.fototreks.com/Pages/ARTIC...ortemp-jz.html
http://www.aquarium-lighting-guide.c...lighting_guide

I hope this helps. If your bulb is indeed 20w and not 30, you'll need to decide if you need a 20w t12 bulb, or an 18w t8 bulb (most ballasts these days can handle either, and all should be able to handle a t12. t8's are "newer", but have been around for quite some time now, and should be handled just fine by your ballast)

Oqsy
Eheim Pimp #171
55 gallon jungle in progress; Eheim 2217, TurboTwist UVS, Seachem Onyx / Black T-grade ColorQuartz, 2x55w AHS CF, BeverageFactory.com CO2 Regulator with Clippard accessories

"If you ask me, you've got too much imagination. Everything's all loop-de-loops and flibbertigibbets." - Hank Hill
Oqsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 03:19 PM   #5
ScottyDont
Algae Grower

the light is infact a 20W and its over a 35G my plants are growing just fine...im looking for something white, I'm used to seeing whitew in my salt setup and just have grown parcial to it, so im guessing im looking for 10,000k I'll have a look at my LFS and at canadien tire, thanks alot for all your info, helped alot
Old 05-31-2005, 03:34 PM   #6
Oqsy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Oqsy Send a message via MSN to Oqsy Send a message via Yahoo to Oqsy

canadian tire won't have the 10,000k bulbs. the best thing you'll find there will be 6,000-6,700K "daylight" "natural daylight" or "sunlight" bulbs. Be prepared to pay much more for a 10,000K bulb from the LFS than at a chain (petco, petsmart, big als, etc)

Oqsy
Eheim Pimp #171
55 gallon jungle in progress; Eheim 2217, TurboTwist UVS, Seachem Onyx / Black T-grade ColorQuartz, 2x55w AHS CF, BeverageFactory.com CO2 Regulator with Clippard accessories

"If you ask me, you've got too much imagination. Everything's all loop-de-loops and flibbertigibbets." - Hank Hill
Oqsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 07:27 PM   #7
ScottyDont
Algae Grower

when I saw Lfs i ussally mean big als:P