Got my Filstar XP3!!!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 08-07-2003, 01:10 AM   #1
SNPiccolo5
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

I got my XP3 today at around 5:00 Central time. I thought it wasn't going to be until tomorrow, but surprisingly, UPS cut it right to 5:00, good for me though!! Anyway, the ease of setting it up was pretty simple, especially the priming it and starting it. I guess that is supposed to be hard for canisters, but as this is my first, I'd say it is easier than my Emperor 400 was at first, so it was simple.

The noise is MUCH LESS than my emperor 400 is, and I am extremely satisfied with all the room for media, and especially the options for outake styles. However, this is where one thing comes into concern. I picked the spray bar, and changed it a little (don't worry, I just didn't add the output extension tube or whatever it is called). So, the spraybar is aranges vertically instead of horizontally, I figured this will help tank circulation more.

Everything here works fine, but the filter is a little too strong, I mean, I think I have it situated in a situation that is good, but is it normal to have some plants "blowing" in the water? It really isn't a sway. When I had it arranged to blow accross the back (like Rex said he had his), it practically blew this one plant over (well, the plant that is normally about 12" tall became horizontally fixed and was about 3-4" tall). I adjusted it a little, and it seems to be under control, but I don't really know where all the strong current it since my tank isn't the heaviest planted tank, in fact it is quite lightly planted- stupid algae... Any tips to reduce the flow, or force with wich the water comes out (like making the holes on the spray bar bigger?).

I am going to keep my emperor 400 on the tank for a couple of days before I take it off (I will be SOOOOOO happy), it is such an eye sore in the tank right now....

All I have to say, is that even though it is my first canister filter, I'd be surprised if I was further impressed by an Eheim or other (unless it was an Eheim pro, but those are in a different price range). I am completely satisfied with my first canister filter, and would highly recomend *sp* this filter to anyone who is considering it! (I can now officially change my signature)

-Tim
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2003, 01:20 AM   #2
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

As soon as the sponges build a bacteria colony the current will decrease. Or you could add a reactor to the output.
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 01:54 AM   #3
clearASmud
Algae Grower

how much you have paid for them?
clearASmud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 01:44 PM   #4
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

Paid for what?
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 02:35 PM   #5
SNPiccolo5
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If you mean the filter, it was $94.99 at Big Als Online. As far as media is concerned, it came with 1 bag of ceramic rings, two of the course sponges, two of the medium ones, one micro filter, and one bio-chem zorb pouch (it's like carbon, I'm not using it).

-Tim
Old 08-07-2003, 02:38 PM   #6
digger
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to digger

SNPiccolo: I have some free 2" pvc sections big enough for a reactor if you want to build an external one. Also free bioballs to fill it with.
digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 02:48 PM   #7
Guttboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Guttboy

SNPiccolo,

I am running TWO XP3's in my 100 gallon....the one has a co2 reactor on it...the other one has just the little pads in it no media yet thats in my other. I do have swaying AND blowing kinda. I rigged both spraybars to blow horizontally about 3/4 inch under the water to the front of the tank. The surface is not agitated much. I also turned down the flow on the spraybar on the no CO2 reactor one.

Remember you have that knob that can reduce flow. Another option is to drill more holes in the spraybar. BUT I have not done this.

Mike

10 Gallon...20 Endler's live bearers planted, peat/kitty litter/sand substrate

15 Gallon...Just Schultz Aquatic Plant soil
Guttboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 04:16 PM   #8
SNPiccolo5
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Anyone have good suggestions for how to build a DIY external CO2 reactor? I tried one, but the bubbles ended up getting squirted out the other end, was a Rio 600 too powerful for that? I'd like a Reactor 1000, but if I can do it DIY, that might work better....

-Tim
Old 08-08-2003, 06:13 PM   #9
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Check out this thread.http://www.plantedtank.net/forum/vie...hlight=reactor

Marcel
FILSTAR Pimp #2

75 gal heavily planted,50/50 Black beauty,Eco-complete substrate, Pressurised CO2 with solenoid, ph controller, AB Reactor 1000, 330 watts 9325K GE PC lighting,Ehiem Liquidoser, 2-Filstar xp3 canisters.
m.lemay is offline   Reply With Quote