another lighting question
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 05-27-2005, 09:27 PM   #1
triple red
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)

another lighting question

I have a 30 gallon tank with an all glass aquarium double light hood containing
two 25 watt 8000k tubes. I was thinking that maybe i should step up to 30 watt tubes so that i would be up to 2 watts per gallon. Would the extra 10 watts really make a difference? I was also wondering if i should mix different tubes together..The tank contains amazon, ozelot, red melon, and narrow leaf chain sword plants, java fern, anubis, and ludwigia reopens..i also dose with seachems flourish.
thank you, j
triple red is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2005, 10:04 PM   #2
malkore
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

10 watts on a 30 gallon will make a difference. However its the ballast that drives the bulbs, so if you don't have a load sensing ballast (and I've never seen an all-glass normal output fluor. fixture that did), then you're stuck at 25watts per bulb.
Filstar XP2 PIMP #3
Visit my aquarium pages - see specs on my tanks, and photos of how they've evolved
malkore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2005, 10:10 PM   #3
bharada
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

That's a lot of swords for a 30g tank. I had a single Red Rubin nearly take over a 40g breeder. When I finally pulled it out it had a canopy of 18" long leaves with a root mass of similar diminsion. Adding more light to the tank will probably force you to remove them in the not too distant future.
Old 05-28-2005, 12:48 AM   #4
triple red
Planted Tank Enthusiast

thanks for the replys..the back of the fixture says that its rated for 63 watts ,at least thats what i think it means.. do you have any suggestions for replacement tubes? as for the swords , i hope that by pruning them that i can keep them small
thanks again. j
Old 05-28-2005, 01:41 AM   #5
Canoe2Can
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

What exactly are the tubes that you have in there right now in terms of length and diameter? If you have two 36" T-8 tubes (these typically run at a lower Wattage), then stepping up to 36" T-12 tubes will not be an improvement. Thinner tubes produce more light because they have less restrike.

On the other hand, if you have two 30" tubes (don't know if they even make these, but typically T-12s are rated at 10 Watts/foot, so maybe), then going up to two 36" tubes will definitely help.
Canoe2Can is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2005, 03:28 AM   #6
triple red
Planted Tank Enthusiast

the tubes in there right now are 36 inch t-8 8000k 25 watt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.