My First Completed Planted Tank/Bowl (REDO!)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 10-27-2011, 02:27 AM   #1
TheJadeShrimp
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

My First Completed Planted Tank/Bowl (REDO!)

This is my first ever completed planted tank. I am very proud of it. Soul credit goes to Newman's Shrimp Bowl for the inspiration. Tell me what you think!

Equipment:
1 Gallon Glass Bowl
Filtered Light From 5 Gallon

Substrate:
Black Sand

Decorations:
DHG

Original Setup:

Just my animals: 0.2 Cornsnakes, 0.2 Bearded Dragons, 1.0 Water Dragon, 0.2.1 Crested Geckos, 1.0 Tiger Salamander, 2.0 Anoles, 0.0.2 Red Eared Slider Turtles, 0.0.1 Map Turtle, 0.0.1 Hermit Crabs, 1.0 Hamster, 1.0 Rabbit, 0.1 Horses, 2.2 Dogs, 0.2 Cats, Chickens, Ducks, Oscar Tank, Planted Bowl, 2x 10 Gallon, 2x 0.5 Gallon, 5 Gallon, and Planted 25 Gallon Tank....Is that it?

Last edited by TheJadeShrimp; 01-19-2012 at 01:15 AM.. Reason: More info
TheJadeShrimp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2011, 02:49 AM   #2
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)

Consider how much water you actually have since the bowl itself in 1 gallon, subtract the rock and sand volume. I'd say you're working with around 0.75 of a gallon. This will have quite large temperature changes between day and night and would kill off any CRS you get. I suggest starting with RCS in such a small tank since they are much hardier.
diwu13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2011, 02:49 AM   #3
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)

I forgot to add how cute those little moss balls are !
diwu13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2011, 02:54 AM   #4
TheJadeShrimp
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwu13 View Post
Consider how much water you actually have since the bowl itself in 1 gallon, subtract the rock and sand volume. I'd say you're working with around 0.75 of a gallon. This will have quite large temperature changes between day and night and would kill off any CRS you get. I suggest starting with RCS in such a small tank since they are much hardier.
Oops! I meant RCS! I was reading another thread. lol
Just my animals: 0.2 Cornsnakes, 0.2 Bearded Dragons, 1.0 Water Dragon, 0.2.1 Crested Geckos, 1.0 Tiger Salamander, 2.0 Anoles, 0.0.2 Red Eared Slider Turtles, 0.0.1 Map Turtle, 0.0.1 Hermit Crabs, 1.0 Hamster, 1.0 Rabbit, 0.1 Horses, 2.2 Dogs, 0.2 Cats, Chickens, Ducks, Oscar Tank, Planted Bowl, 2x 10 Gallon, 2x 0.5 Gallon, 5 Gallon, and Planted 25 Gallon Tank....Is that it?
Old 10-27-2011, 03:06 AM   #5
Newman
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

yes, just make sure this is in a room that gets constant heat. set the house thermostat to at least 70F and the cherry shrimp will be fine. after you breed good amounts of cherries in this bowl, and its all lush and green, then you should move on to crystals (keep in mind that they require soft water, so likely you'll have to at least use distilled water, re-mineralized with something like Mosura mineral plus.
At one gallon for about $1 or less, that will likely last you for 2-3 weeks, Water changes are not very expensive for 1 gal bowls lol.
But while you're keeping cherries, you can just use tap water for WCs.

I also recommend that you get some dwarf hairgrass for this bowl.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:42 AM   #6
TheJadeShrimp
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newman View Post
yes, just make sure this is in a room that gets constant heat. set the house thermostat to at least 70F and the cherry shrimp will be fine. after you breed good amounts of cherries in this bowl, and its all lush and green, then you should move on to crystals (keep in mind that they require soft water, so likely you'll have to at least use distilled water, re-mineralized with something like Mosura mineral plus.
At one gallon for about $1 or less, that will likely last you for 2-3 weeks, Water changes are not very expensive for 1 gal bowls lol.
But while you're keeping cherries, you can just use tap water for WCs.

I also recommend that you get some dwarf hairgrass for this bowl.
Okay thanks! The thermostat stays at 75F and no one touches it. And my living room stays warm.
I was going to get some Dwarf Hairgrass, but at the LFS it didn't look good. The only thing they had lush and overbearing was the Amazon Swords and Baby Tears. I am not a fan of the Crystal Reds, but I love the blues!

P.S. Looking for some small forceps or needle nose pliers to decorate it!
Old 10-27-2011, 03:47 AM   #7
Newman
Planted Tank Guru

see if you can get dwarf grass off someone on this site.
when you keep crystal shrimp, just be aware that they like the temps lower so your thermostat would have to go to about 73F (assuming your light heats up the water a few degrees.)
Old 10-27-2011, 04:01 AM   #8
TheJadeShrimp
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
see if you can get dwarf grass off someone on this site.
when you keep crystal shrimp, just be aware that they like the temps lower so your thermostat would have to go to about 73F (assuming your light heats up the water a few degrees.)
Okay, I defiantly look into it ordering from someone on her. Got any recommendations?
Old 10-27-2011, 04:02 AM   #9
Newman
Planted Tank Guru

not right now, but search in the SnS section and post up a wanted thread for it.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:37 AM   #10
TheJadeShrimp
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
not right now, but search in the SnS section and post up a wanted thread for it.
Okay thank you!
Old 10-28-2011, 01:59 AM   #11
TheJadeShrimp
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Darn! Haven't had this up for 24 hours and already having problems. My outlet stopped working! lol
Old 10-28-2011, 06:08 AM   #12
cableguy69846
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJadeShrimp View Post
Darn! Haven't had this up for 24 hours and already having problems. My outlet stopped working! lol
Sorry to hear that man. The bowl looks good so far though.
The Fraternity of Dirt #39
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Cable's Madness
Fish tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.
"What the smeggin smeg's he smeggin' done now?!" - Lister
cableguy69846 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2011, 06:47 AM   #13
TactusMortus
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

Although I understand the attempt to keep the water warm I think this is taking it to the extreme! That has got to be a fire hazard as well.
Old 10-28-2011, 02:26 PM   #14
Newman
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TactusMortus View Post

Although I understand the attempt to keep the water warm I think this is taking it to the extreme! That has got to be a fire hazard as well.
looooool, i got it...
Old 10-28-2011, 02:33 PM   #15
TheJadeShrimp
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy69846 View Post
Sorry to hear that man. The bowl looks good so far though.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TactusMortus View Post

I'm not trying to keep it warm or anything. Wait, Really?!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.