what plants for low low lighting?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 05-23-2005, 02:17 PM   #1
TigerLilly
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

what plants for low low lighting?

I just want to use the lighting that came with my tank. Since I don't have money for anything else right now. I'm not at home right now so I can't check how many watts it is. They are floursent lights. One on each hood, and its a 55gallon. Its the one wal-mart sells. If anyone knows the wattage of those tanks. What plants can be kept with them? When I get home I'll check the wattage and post.
TigerLilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2005, 03:30 PM   #2
jmelnek
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)

where in michigan are you?

MiAPG (Michigan Aquatic Plant Group) - Join today!
jmelnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 03:53 PM   #3
RobD
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Gee, it's an all-Michigan post!

The WalMart light, I believe, is two 24" bulbs at 20Watts apiece. So that gives you 40Watts, 55 gallon, or 0.72wpg.

As to what plants to pick, I'm not an expert on that. I'm just starting to get into this light/watts/plants thing. I just bought some of the HomeDepot shoplights to put on my used but not setup yet 90gallon tank. I'm going from 4x24" bulbs to 4x48" bulbs on it. My wpg just doubled, so I'm up to 1.7wpg. If I do the ODNO modification, that would give me 2.6wpg and I'd have to go with a CO2 system once I get over 2.5wpg. I can't afford that kind of setup yet.

So, where in Michigan are you? Me and Josh share the same city and currently the same tank style (46gallon bowfront), yet have never met.
Member #147 of the Eheim Pimp Club, 4x2026s.
150 Gallon at home, Mostly South American community
55 Gallon at work, African Cichlids
RobD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 04:15 PM   #4
sarahbobarah
LOTR BFME

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to sarahbobarah

For a lolo, I would suggest anubias, crypts, and javas.

They all thrive with very little light.

Best Dressed Member of SVAS, SFBAAPS. (I sit at the cool kids' table)
sarahbobarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 11:16 AM   #5
TigerLilly
Planted Member

I'll probably have to ship those to me as the only plants that are avaiable in pet stores in my area are require high to very high lighting. Which doesn't make any sense since the average newbie doesn't have high lighting on their standard aquarium.
TigerLilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 12:27 PM   #6
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

You may not even be able to keep the above mentioned plants alive due the the very low intensity of your light.

For around $110 you can get two AH Supply 55 watt kits with bulbs and install them in your strip lights and grow a surprising number of plants.
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 03:10 AM   #7
g8wayg8r
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I started with 0.72 wpg and did nothing but turn my plants into mush.

My advice: keep the tank and plan of replacing everthing else but START with the light recommended by Rex. If you don't have your substrate purchased, you may want to read up on soil substrates so you won't have to mess with the CO2. Otherwise, a high-pressure system will be in your future.

This message is always under construction: 75-gallon tank; 2, Eheim 2026 filters - one twice broken; Tek Light with 4, 54W T5s (6000K) ; Sand on top of 4:1 sand:clay mixture; Milwaukee CO2 controller; PlantGuild vortex CO2 reactor; pH = 6.6, kH=70mg/l, GH=120mg/l; EI; Flourish excel on 50% weekly water change: AGA Member.
g8wayg8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 04:26 AM   #8
bharada
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Well, if the fish listed in you signature are in this tank then the amount of lighting you have over it may be irrelevant as Convicts, Oscars, and Goldfish are very hard on plants.

If it's a new tank you're setting up, the you should be able to keep at least Anubias alive, but I would suggest you add at least a DIY CO2 generator. I say this because in my 125g, high-light, high-tech tank I had an Anubias coffeefolia completely buried by a massive head of Java Fern for several months. I had actually forgotten it was even in the tank. When I finally got around to removing the Fern I was surprised to see that not only was it still alive, but flourishing with a lot of gorgeous (and algae-free) new growth. This tank is dosed daily and has CO2 injection so the Anubias had conditions in its favor even without getting light.
Old 05-25-2005, 03:45 PM   #9
malkore
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLilly
I'll probably have to ship those to me as the only plants that are avaiable in pet stores in my area are require high to very high lighting. Which doesn't make any sense since the average newbie doesn't have high lighting on their standard aquarium.
It makes perfect sense for the LFS. They sell the plants, they die in 3 weeks due to bad lighting, so the customer comes back and buys a different plant. Rinse and repeat. Cha-ching!
Filstar XP2 PIMP #3
Visit my aquarium pages - see specs on my tanks, and photos of how they've evolved
malkore is offline   Reply With Quote