"Best" pH and CO2 dosing ?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 08-06-2003, 04:35 PM   #1
Guttboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to Guttboy

Hi everyone....

Well the CO2 system and pH (milwaukee) controller are working GREAT on my tank.

The pH gets down to 7.0 at night now and around 7.2ish in the day.

Right now it is at 7.1 with a KH of 5 degrees.

Using Chucks calculator...it states I am at 11.91 ppm for CO2.

Is this good? Should I allow the pH to go down more? Perhaps to 6.9 or so? I have fish in the tank...right now 8 White Cloud MM's and 7 Ottos, 40 glass shrimp.

Mike

PS....My temps go from 72 in the evening to 75 in the daytime if that helps as well.

10 Gallon...20 Endler's live bearers planted, peat/kitty litter/sand substrate

15 Gallon...Just Schultz Aquatic Plant soil
Guttboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2003, 04:48 PM   #2
Saluki
Algae Grower

Send a message via Yahoo to Saluki

I would let the pH drop a little more. The ideal CO2 concentration is about 15ppm. Your fish are all well-suited to more acidic water. Just be careful to keep your CO2 below 25 ppm. At that level, O2 levels drop to a point where it becomes harmful to your fish.

With a KH of 5, your ideal pH would be 6.9 to 7.0.
Saluki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 04:54 PM   #3
Deuce868
Algae Grower

How long did it take for your CO2 level to get up there Guttboy? I started my CO2 last night and I am trying to see how long I should wait for the PH to drop before i crank up the CO2 some more.
Deuce868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 05:07 PM   #4
Guttboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Deuce,

What system for dosing are you using? I have a milwaukee sms 122 controller and the Milwaukee setup for regulator with a reactor 1000.

Ok when I started it off I was doing 5 bubbles per min with really no luck. I turned up the velocity on the filstar to make the reactor better? Well then I upped the CO2 to a bubble per min. This dropped the pH slowly from 7.6 to 7.4 to 7.3....you get the pic...got up several times during the night to watch. Now I noticed this morning (had a late night flight so could not monitor) that the pH was 7.0...got up and left the bubbles at 1 per sec. pH after having the lights on for now 5 hours has risen slightly to 7.1.

I will keep it on 1 per sec til I see a change tonight...got a late flight so will check in AM.

I am sure this is way too much co2 bubbles but we shall see

Some of the plants are pearling pretty well...couple of bubbles here and there.

Mike

Comments everyone? would appreciate the help.

Old 08-06-2003, 05:12 PM   #5
Deuce868
Algae Grower

I have to set it manually. No controller here. So I am teaking the fine tuner on my setup. I have it around 1 bubble per sec and left it over night, but I did not see a drop in the ph this morning. You can see a pic of my powered reactor in my journal posts. The reactor is on the left side of the tank.

I think I need a new ph test so I will grab that on the way home today and check it out.
Old 08-06-2003, 05:20 PM   #6
Guttboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Doomer,

I have to say that the pH controller was the BEST money spent so far...now there is no guess work in the CO2 dosing. From what I have read that the CO2 levels do NOT effect the KH only if it gets to the pt that they will start causing rocks to leach (same principle in my marine tanks with a calcium reactor....co2 makes carbonic acid in the water which in turn causes the calcium to release into solution). I dont have such substrate so I am ok.

Id love to know if guys are dosing CO2 and what their counts are?

I am not familiar with your reactor...saw the pic in there...new to plants myself.

Mike

Old 08-06-2003, 10:28 PM   #7
Steve Hampton
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saluki
I would let the pH drop a little more. The ideal CO2 concentration is about 15ppm. Your fish are all well-suited to more acidic water. Just be careful to keep your CO2 below 25 ppm. At that level, O2 levels drop to a point where it becomes harmful to your fish.
No, this isn't quite right. CO2 and O2 levels are independent of each other. High levels of CO2 can causes fish problems relating to the inability to rid CO2 from their blood through the gills into the tank water. A tank with CO2 levels of 100ppm or more can still have O2 levels well above 100% too. The important part to understand is that CO2 doesn't displace O2 in water...in air yes, in water no. But, the warning is still valid, keeping CO2 levels under 25ppm is a very good recommendation especially to someone just beginning with CO2 injection. Later, if you have moderately hard water you may find that pushing CO2 to 30-35ppm works fine too, but it's extremely wise to limit CO2 to 25ppm at the start.
Steve Hampton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 11:00 PM   #8
rossi32s
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to rossi32s Send a message via AIM to rossi32s

Steve I was just about to write the smae exact thing :lol:
rossi32s is offline   Reply With Quote