105g Craigslist find! 11-26 Video of baby Guppies, 11-26 updates!! - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 10-11-2011, 09:19 AM   #31
tonytrout2001@hotmail.com
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
Send a message via MSN to tonytrout2001@hotmail.com Send a message via Yahoo to tonytrout2001@hotmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot100% View Post
What light is that, it seems pretty bright...I need something like that on my tank.
I think it's just one of those desk lamps with the flexible neck, probably (but maybe not) with the bulb changed out. Looks really good in that setup.

Are you stationed in Japan, or did you move over there? I had an Uncle that was stationed there in Okinawa? (I think) while in the Air Force through Wright Patt A.F.B. I always wished I could have found a way to go see them over there, and to discover the different culture and scenery you get to see from tv, but wished you could see in real life. Long gone, but not forgotten, is the money they brought back to me to show how different their culture was from ours. It is definitely one place I want to get to before I die.
The Fraternity of Dirt #15
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech.
Updated 9-7 Check me out. 10g Rimless. My 105g Journal. 105g YTubeAction ETnAC President.
tonytrout2001@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2011, 11:48 AM   #32
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to tonytrout2001@hotmail.com Send a message via Yahoo to tonytrout2001@hotmail.com

Hard to tell in the pics, but this is how this tank is planted:

The light green is Italian Vallisneria, dark green is Vallisneria Gigantae, white is Apogenoton sp', Red is Ludwigia Glandulosa, yellow is Stargrass, black is Rotala Nanjenshan, pinkish/purplish is Sunset Hygro. I've also got some Limnophila Sessiloflora that will grow in behind the Hygro.
Here are some things that are still left to do:

Left; big brown circle for needed wood piece, red and orange circles for alternating Rotala Rotundifolia and Rotala Nanjenshan. Right; green oval for needed Downoi I want to line my "beach area with, tan oval for needed sand.

Just messing around to see how it might look when I get it done and the plants grow in;

You can kinda get the idea, can't you?
Updated 9-7 Check me out. 10g Rimless. My 105g Journal. 105g YTubeAction ETnAC President.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:23 PM   #33
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150EH View Post
The way you have the path with the arch in the back reminded me of this really cool nano tank, see what you think

Whom is it by?
Hilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 07:14 AM   #34
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Should have some baby Apple snails soon. Opened the door and seen my Apple laying eggs.

Just had to share this pic of my Fiddler crab. They are my second favorite inhabitant, next to the Angels of course They are so cool to watch and I just LOVE them! This one, though, almost scared the crap out of my wife when she opened the door. I, in turn, almost peed a little laughing at her so hard!!!
Old 10-13-2011, 02:25 PM   #35
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

Tony you should check Kathy's journal and the way she has the screen around the overflow you don't have to clean it every day because if the top gets clogged the water can still find it's way under so the overflow continues to function. Even if you do yours differently it may give you a good idea how to do it without clogging up the mix, good luck.
150EH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 04:31 PM   #36
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150EH View Post
Tony you should check Kathy's journal and the way she has the screen around the overflow you don't have to clean it every day because if the top gets clogged the water can still find it's way under so the overflow continues to function. Even if you do yours differently it may give you a good idea how to do it without clogging up the mix, good luck.
Thanks for that, just went and checked it out. Then realised it had been awhile since I looked at that journal, and also that I didn't post about it the first time but made it a point to this time Kathy's got a pretty awesome tank there.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:48 PM   #37
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I got my sand in yesturday:

And a side view:

I am probably going to switch out some of the rocks for a couple bigger ones. Then I am going to get down to the lake before it gets too cold to look for me another piece or two of wood. Then, when I get some Downoi, this will be done. I already have some microsword on the way, so I am close to getting there. I am really pleased with it, too. What do you think?
Old 10-18-2011, 11:27 PM   #38
Bradleyv1714
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Love the hermit crabs! I have been looking at getting one but I don't know if they would eat my fish or what they would eat...

pm me if you have any info please.
Bradleyv1714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:32 PM   #39
cableguy69846
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Not bad man. I like it. Especially the first pic with your kids hand in it, it really puts the tank into perspective and shows how huge it is.
The Fraternity of Dirt #39
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Cable's Madness
Fish tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.
"What the smeggin smeg's he smeggin' done now?!" - Lister
cableguy69846 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:48 PM   #40
nalu86
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

Tank looks awesome!
I love the 2 feet deep and 21 high, perfect dimensions.
How are the fish doing? With all your fish it still looks empty on those pics
2x 75g+ 40B Tilapia outgrow tanks
20H Philippine blue Angelfish breeders + fry
20L CPD and Shrimp tank
10g Apisto Gibbiceps

Bengal: Meisje
Savannah Cat: Kimchee
nalu86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:25 AM   #41
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy69846 View Post
Not bad man. I like it. Especially the first pic with your kids hand in it, it really puts the tank into perspective and shows how huge it is.
Thanks, man. My scape makes the tank look pretty small, doesn't it? I really wanted a long tank but wasn't having any luck, so I took the first one I was offered that was over 100g. I think it will turn out pretty nice though, once I get it done. I wasn't really going for depth, but rather a nice scape to showcase my fish. Maybe one day I'll get a long one and be able to do something else with that one. For now, my boy and I have been having LOTS of fun doing this one.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:05 AM   #42
cableguy69846
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytrout2001@hotmail.com View Post
Thanks, man. My scape makes the tank look pretty small, doesn't it? I really wanted a long tank but wasn't having any luck, so I took the first one I was offered that was over 100g. I think it will turn out pretty nice though, once I get it done. I wasn't really going for depth, but rather a nice scape to showcase my fish. Maybe one day I'll get a long one and be able to do something else with that one. For now, my boy and I have been having LOTS of fun doing this one.
I feel ya on that one. I would love to have a 10 foot tank or something like that. A whole wall. But until then, I have to make do with what I can afford and what fits.
The Fraternity of Dirt #39
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Cable's Madness
Fish tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.
"What the smeggin smeg's he smeggin' done now?!" - Lister
cableguy69846 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:24 AM   #43
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalu86 View Post
Tank looks awesome!
I love the 2 feet deep and 21 high, perfect dimensions.
How are the fish doing? With all your fish it still looks empty on those pics
This tank is alright, for now. My perfect tank would be like your 125 you have going with your DSM, which should be awesome when done , BTW. I just cannot achieve much depth with this tank to save my life. I am now, between checking TPT, trying some other things in there to better achieve the look I am going for.

The fish are all doing great, and get along better every day, since realizing they don't have to compete for food with each other. I keep threatening to get a video, but have just been busy lately with kids, my club, getting my scape just right, and Fall yardwork that I just haven't felt like doing it. I was going to get a video of my Fiddler Crab riding the back of my Apple Snail, but couldn't fing the stupid camera I guess I left it out and the kids got ahold of it, no doubt. Either that or the wife hid it to try to teach me a lesson It is, afterall, her camera

It does still look really bare, doesn't it? It looks LOTS better in person, but in the pics the fish just disappear. The Angels and the tiger Barbs, I know, will get bigger. Because of that I don't know if I should get more fish or not, so I think I'll just wait and see. I am working on getting some shrimps though!
Old 10-19-2011, 01:26 PM   #44
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytrout2001@hotmail.com View Post
Thanks for that, just went and checked it out. Then realised it had been awhile since I looked at that journal, and also that I didn't post about it the first time but made it a point to this time Kathy's got a pretty awesome tank there.
I wanted you to see the screen she used around the overflow, it's a good way to do it without it getting clogged and after you've seen it the ideas of how to do it so it's less intrusive come pouring in.
150EH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:08 PM   #45
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradleyv1714 View Post
Love the hermit crabs! I have been looking at getting one but I don't know if they would eat my fish or what they would eat...

pm me if you have any info please.
Will send a pm as well, but figured to benefit my readers, I would post some info here as well.

Like alot of beginners in the hobby, I impulse bought these crabs, loving the way they moved in the tank at the LFS. I just bought them, acclimated them as I did the rest of the fish, and threw them in there. Never, was I thinking about the way these needed to be kept. Stupidly, I thought, "They were in his aquarium and will look awesome in my bigger tank."

Come to find out, after researching them (unfortunately after I bought them), I learned that they will only survive short-term in an aquarium setting like I have. They need MUCH more than I am currently providing, and willing to provide at this time.

First of all, these guys need SALT! They CAN survive in freshwater for a short time, but prefer brackish to salty water. My tank will be heavily planted and I am not willing to add salt just to be able to keep these guys, and risk losing all my plants.

Apparently, these guys also like to root in sand, and will actually bury themselves in it for periods of time. The sand in my tank is only around 3/4ths of an inch deep, and I cannot add more without the risk of ruining my scape by having a huge sand pile in it.

Fiddler crabs also like to get out of the water for awhile and just sun themselves. While my wood does stick out of the water, and I have seen them using it quite frequently, I am not so sure it will suffice enough to keep these guys going strong.

The moral of this story? I will either be getting rid of these guys, or buying a little riparium set I seen on Craigslist earlier.

BradleyV, these guys will eat small fish and things. I just got a bunch of Guppies to try to keep them from eating my other fish I want to keep.

Tags
105, diy, metal halide, overflow, sump