105g Craigslist find! 11-26 Video of baby Guppies, 11-26 updates!! - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 10-09-2011, 12:44 AM   #16
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

Look good but it's going to cloud up again when you add more substrate, but you got your float on and ur ready to go, it cleaned up nice!

The way you have the path with the arch in the back reminded me of this really cool nano tank, see what you think

150EH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2011, 01:07 AM   #17
cableguy69846
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Looks good so far man. Keep it up.
The Fraternity of Dirt #39
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Cable's Madness
Fish tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.
"What the smeggin smeg's he smeggin' done now?!" - Lister
cableguy69846 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 12:54 PM   #18
tonytrout2001@hotmail.com
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
Send a message via MSN to tonytrout2001@hotmail.com Send a message via Yahoo to tonytrout2001@hotmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150EH View Post
Look good but it's going to cloud up again when you add more substrate, but you got your float on and ur ready to go, it cleaned up nice!
Yeah, but with sand it shouldn't be too bad so I can deal with that. Thanks, it had better, after it taking me 3 days to clean it and causing countless blistered fingers! There is a few things in the top that need attention like a little staining and chipping of paint.

Also the inside of the bottom could use some attention, but it will do for now. Besides, it looks better than what it did and it functions.

And here is a very bad and very cloudy FTS cuz you all were as patient to see the pics as I was to take them Got my Gigantae in front of the overflow and the Italian Vals on the left. Then placed my Apogenoton sp' to conceal the top of the "tunnel"

And, a side view from the left.

My Crypts planted. Noticed offshoots, will hopefully fill this in.

All in all, I'm starting to love this tank. I think it'll be great once I get it all planted.

Quote:
The way you have the path with the arch in the back reminded me of this really cool nano tank, see what you think

That is an AWESOME tank! Thanks for sharing that. It is pretty close to what I was going for. I already have the rest of my rocks.

Until then, enjoy some pics of the new inhabitants Went to the fish store in M-town (Fish Fair) and spent $65. I'd say I got an AWESOME deal for what I got, what do you think?
3 Black Skirt Tetras

1 (Kissing?/Kisser?) fish

17 Tiger Barbs, free from a guy who had them with his 2 Kissing fish and they wouldn't leave them alone Didn't know that until I got there to get them, but haven't had a problem with that in my tank. They have claimed the Gigantae's as theirs I think

Also got 3 GloFish from the same person.

2 Blue Metallic Guppy's, really pretty!

15 Guppies, some with Red in their tails. Will get a better pic later.

2 Fiddler Crabs, I love these guys. Well, 1 male and 1 female.

My Beta, still not sure what to think of everything after being released from that tiny cup.

Pleco and Apples doing their thing.

Had to rescue this dwarf frog from the sump.

The other wont come out yet.

And for the piez de resistance. 3 Green Marble Angels! Will probably NEVER get another pic of these guys all together like this. Was quite pleased You can also kinda see the 6 Zebra Danios there as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy69846 View Post
Looks good so far man. Keep it up.
Thank you, should turn out really nice when it's done.

Thanks for looking. Will get better in time so come back!
The Fraternity of Dirt #15
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech.
Updated 9-7 Check me out. 10g Rimless. My 105g Journal. 105g YTubeAction ETnAC President.

Last edited by tonytrout2001@hotmail.com; 11-11-2011 at 05:17 AM..
tonytrout2001@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 01:31 PM   #19
Patriot
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to Patriot

Quote:

What light is that, it seems pretty bright...I need something like that on my tank.
SUNSUN PIMP #41
The Fraternity of Dirt #50
What Can Dirt Do For You?
Nikon Club Member #35
Patriot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 04:04 PM   #20
cableguy69846
Planted Tank Guru

Wow, dude. That tank is really getting filled. Nice fish.

Cable's Madness
Old 10-09-2011, 09:29 PM   #21
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

Tony the tank is comming along and I'd say you gotta good deal on all those fish, it's hard to fill a tank of that size all at one time, it's even hard to figure out what you'll need. Keep up the good work!

No Idea on the light Patriot.
150EH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 10:10 PM   #22
zenche
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

can i ask how much you got the setup for? curious

also, not cycling the tank before fish? i've used fish before as part of the cycle process...but not nice fish like some that you got.
zenche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 11:18 PM   #23
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to tonytrout2001@hotmail.com Send a message via Yahoo to tonytrout2001@hotmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenche View Post
can i ask how much you got the setup for? curious

also, not cycling the tank before fish? i've used fish before as part of the cycle process...but not nice fish like some that you got.
I traded my 55g setup for it, girl was selling her ex-husbands stuff and I got lucky

Not cycling, or testing, or any of that. I am reusing my dirt, gravel, and about 25 gallons of water from my other tank. I also used the old dirty water from my established filter and even wrung out the filter media into the sump to jump-start the cycle. I then added my plants and turned the heater and stuff on and let it run for 2 days before adding the fish. I plan on seeding some water and doing a 20 or 30% w.c. every 2-3 days to try to control excessive bio-matter until the "good" stuff can keep up with the "bad" stuff from the stocking of the tank. No deaths yet, and the fish appear really healthy and happy.
Updated 9-7 Check me out. 10g Rimless. My 105g Journal. 105g YTubeAction ETnAC President.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:49 PM   #24
zenche
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

ah, nice. i literally rearranged my living room today, moving 3 72"x33" bookshelves, and now have space for another tank :P can fit one 5' long in what used to my be 'library' nook now. hoping to score some good deals so i can make it happen. your tank looks great makes me jealous.
zenche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:14 AM   #25
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenche View Post
ah, nice. i literally rearranged my living room today, moving 3 72"x33" bookshelves, and now have space for another tank :P can fit one 5' long in what used to my be 'library' nook now. hoping to score some good deals so i can make it happen. your tank looks great makes me jealous.
Nice, I tried to do multiple tanks but the wife wasn't lettin that happen It's ok though, I am more than happy with what I got now. Thanks, I am trying to get it the rest of the way planted to see what it's gonna look like. Should have more pics up later.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:44 AM   #26
cableguy69846
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytrout2001@hotmail.com View Post
Nice, I tried to do multiple tanks but the wife wasn't lettin that happen It's ok though, I am more than happy with what I got now. Thanks, I am trying to get it the rest of the way planted to see what it's gonna look like. Should have more pics up later.
If you arrange the area under you stand, you can fit some small tanks in there. Lol. Just a suggestion. Or you can do like I do. Just put it up and don't tell her till it is half full.

Cable's Madness
Old 10-10-2011, 07:13 PM   #27
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy69846 View Post
If you arrange the area under you stand, you can fit some small tanks in there. Lol. Just a suggestion. Or you can do like I do. Just put it up and don't tell her till it is half full.
Haha, was thinking about incorporating a refugium area into the sump just so I could have another tank A sheet of acrylic is cheap!

While planting this, it looked to me like the less tall plants the better, what do you think?

There are tall plants around the perimeter of the hardscape, and some behind as well. When it grows out, it should make the illusion of having a tunnel there. While the "tunnel" itself is not that sightly, I have a quart-sized pickle jar (or bigger) FULL of Java Moss I am sure will cover that up nicely.

To me, this seemed like enough planting in here for now. Gonna look for another piece of wood, try to find some sort of carpeting plant and some Downoi to line my sandy "beach" area, and then this tank will be done. I want there to be some hiding places, but also wanted LOTS of open area to view my fish from. Any suggestions would be appreciated, and praise is always welcome
Old 10-10-2011, 08:13 PM   #28
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2in10 View Post
Sump surging is caused by your pump running faster than you overflow can work or the over flow not having the correct mix of air and water. You can insert airline down the overflow tube to inject air and even out the flow. It should help with the gurgle also.
It was the wrong mix of air and water, as you suggested. I inserted a straw in it (pic up above), wrapped one of my kids' hair ties to keep it from falling in, and now it works flawlessly. I wish I had another way to keep critters from falling into the overflow, the window screen I siliconed on it gets clogged 10x's a day. Maybe when the junk from my compost gets filtered out it won't be so bad.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:45 PM   #29
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

I found out real fast long ago you cannot put window screen directly on the teeth of the overflow. It reduces the flow too much and fast. I have found that making a screen 'slipcover' that stands away from the teeth keeps stuff from clogging the teeth and doesn't reduce the flow. You could either make a band that goes 1" underwater and 1" above water around the teeth about 1" away for plant debris or attach a whole thing somehow with magnets or suction cups or something that stands away from the teeth for critters. I see reef tanks with very coarse scrubby type stuff there which might work but after my scary window screen incident years ago I really don't want anything touching the overflow teeth at all.

I have a HOB overflow so take out the box and put on a cover that is an inch too large all the way around. If the part at the water surface gets clogged water just flows from lower down. Haven't lost any fish since using this thing but snails find their way in. I suspect baby fish will get through too but that is fine as the outflow goes into water now, not into bioballs, scrubbies or other wet dry media.
Kathyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:48 AM   #30
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathyy View Post
I found out real fast long ago you cannot put window screen directly on the teeth of the overflow. It reduces the flow too much and fast. I have found that making a screen 'slipcover' that stands away from the teeth keeps stuff from clogging the teeth and doesn't reduce the flow. You could either make a band that goes 1" underwater and 1" above water around the teeth about 1" away for plant debris or attach a whole thing somehow with magnets or suction cups or something that stands away from the teeth for critters. I see reef tanks with very coarse scrubby type stuff there which might work but after my scary window screen incident years ago I really don't want anything touching the overflow teeth at all.

I have a HOB overflow so take out the box and put on a cover that is an inch too large all the way around. If the part at the water surface gets clogged water just flows from lower down. Haven't lost any fish since using this thing but snails find their way in. I suspect baby fish will get through too but that is fine as the outflow goes into water now, not into bioballs, scrubbies or other wet dry media.
I hate having to scrub the screens 4 or 5 times a day. Would definitely like to come up with another way to do this, but what I have done is working as long as I can keep my hands out of the tank and I dont disturb the substrate. This has been happening alot since I am just basically getting this tank planted. I hope it lets up now that I'm done, or that I can find an alternative solution to the overflow. Will definitely check out your recommendations and let you know how it goes, thank you.

Tags
105, diy, metal halide, overflow, sump