105g Craigslist find! 11-26 Video of baby Guppies, 11-26 updates!!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 10-05-2011, 11:34 AM   #1
tonytrout2001@hotmail.com
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
Send a message via MSN to tonytrout2001@hotmail.com Send a message via Yahoo to tonytrout2001@hotmail.com

105g Craigslist find! 11-26 Video of baby Guppies, 11-26 updates!!

Well, I traded my 55g and 10g setup for a 105g

It's dimensions are: 4'L x 2'D x 21"H. Came with LOTS of things, one thing being 2 Coralife 10,000K x 175w metal halides (1 of which blew the second I turned it on) hung horizontally 31" above the substrate. It turned out to be the transformer/ballast, so I replaced that side with a 23 watt 6,500K CFL hung horizontally 31" above the substrate. Also has some 46" blue Actinics, but switched one for a 46" 28watt T5 Flourescent lamp measuring 3,500K also hung horizontally 31" above the substrate. My lights are on a timer and run for 12hrs on, 12 hrs off. All the lights run at the same time, but am looking into running the actinic set differently using a Coralife timed powerstrip I got with the setup.

Also came with an 11g ALSS sump pumped by a Rio 2500 submersible pump. The water free falls down an in-tank overflow box and is cleaned by simple bio-balls and filter floss. The sump also houses my WON Pro 350w heater, which I keep set at 81*f.

My flora is: LOTS of apogenoton bulbs from Wally World: Aponogeton Crispus, Aponogeton ulvaceus, and Aponogeton undulatus. Also Italian Vals, Vals Gigantae, rotala rotundifolia, rotala colorata, rotala nanjenshan, ludwigia glandulosa, Hygrophila polysperma var. Rosanervig, cryptocoryne walkeri 'lutea', heteranthera zosterifolia 'Stargrass, Pennywort, Parrot Feather, and Limnophila Sessiliflora. My floaters are: Salvinia auriculata 'Eared Watermoss', Hydrocharis morsus-ranae 'Frogbit, Pistia Stratiotes L.'Water Lettuce, and Azolla caroliniana 'fairy moss
The Fraternity of Dirt #15
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech.
Updated 9-7 Check me out. 10g Rimless. My 105g Journal. 105g YTubeAction ETnAC President.

Last edited by tonytrout2001@hotmail.com; 08-17-2012 at 05:51 PM.. Reason: Fauna changed
tonytrout2001@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2011, 11:51 AM   #2
devlyyn
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Awesome find! What are the dimensions? Have you ever had a sump before? I just got one with my latest craigslist find and it's been working great.
devlyyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:30 PM   #3
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to tonytrout2001@hotmail.com Send a message via Yahoo to tonytrout2001@hotmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by devlyyn View Post
Awesome find! What are the dimensions? Have you ever had a sump before? I just got one with my latest craigslist find and it's been working great.
Not positive on the dimensions right now, will measure it when I get it out of the van. Got it home last night around midnight, so I will be getting it out today and start cleaning it up.

Never had a sump before, but I do not anticipate any problems. Pretty sure it will be better then the canister filter I was using. I just have to get all the salt and sand out of it.
Updated 9-7 Check me out. 10g Rimless. My 105g Journal. 105g YTubeAction ETnAC President.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:03 PM   #4
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by devlyyn View Post
Been busy cleaning this former saltwater tank up, but did finally get the dimensions. They are: 4'L x 2'D x 21"H.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:10 PM   #5
Sd760
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/50%)

That is awesome. Have fun with that bad boy
Sd760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:11 PM   #6
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

According to my calculator it's 104.88 gallons, are you sure about the measurement. No matter it's a great deal, are you going to keep the over flow box in the tank or strip it out and go with the no hose drilled bottom look?

Is iy acylic or glass?

I checked out your club, what do you focus on mainly fish, plants, cichlids?
150EH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:33 PM   #7
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sd760 View Post
That is awesome. Have fun with that bad boy
Thanks! Unfortunately, the only fun I have been having has been cleaning it and resealing it. I thought I was going to have it planted and filled today, but while cleaning I found some bad spots in the silicone, causing me to want to re-do the silicone. I know it didn't leak but I figured I'd better be safe then sorry down the road.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:44 PM   #8
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150EH View Post
According to my calculator it's 104.88 gallons, are you sure about the measurement. No matter it's a great deal, are you going to keep the over flow box in the tank or strip it out and go with the no hose drilled bottom look?

Is iy acylic or glass?

I checked out your club, what do you focus on mainly fish, plants, cichlids?
Yes, I just measured it for the dimensions, thanks for the heads up. Never had a chance to get to the calculator, so you are probably right. I was just told over the phone it was a 130. 105 is still cool and should suit my needs just fine, for now!!

I am keeping the overflow and sump as I traded my canister with the other system. Not only that, the overflow is built in with a big hole in the back glass of the tank. Yes, it is glass. The sump is acrylic, and I believe, so is the overflow.

ETnAC focuses on freshwater, any and all types in any configuration as long as it's fresh.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:07 AM   #9
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

Sorry about the size thing but it's still a great buy, well the sump is great for good bacteria and well oxygenated water so it should be a nice tank and I can't wait to see what you do with it!

That's cool I just recently joined the GWAPA but my first meeting was a lot of fun and I came home with a whole bag of plants for $22, so I really liked it. Plus metting other people with the same interest was also cool, it's kinda like a motorcycle club, cause my wife and kids just walk by and pay no attention.

Well you have to go back and tell the guy he owes you 25 gallons or your going too #$#%%&^!! in his*%&$@!??<>!!

I want to try a dirt tank are you going MTS here or undeceided?
150EH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 05:41 AM   #10
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Sorry about the size thing but it's still a great buy, well the sump is great for good bacteria and well oxygenated water so it should be a nice tank and I can't wait to see what you do with it!
The water level in the sump surges up and down and is gurgling, so I'm still researching on it alot as I am pretty sure thats not normal. I LOVE the idea of having it, it houses all my equipment and things and I like that. It makes for a much cleaner look in the tank. I even tried to set up the stuff in the bottom really nice too, and I'm quite proud of it. It looks MUCH better than when I got it.

Quote:
That's cool I just recently joined the GWAPA but my first meeting was a lot of fun and I came home with a whole bag of plants for $22, so I really liked it. Plus metting other people with the same interest was also cool, it's kinda like a motorcycle club, cause my wife and kids just walk by and pay no attention.

Well you have to go back and tell the guy he owes you 25 gallons or your going too #$#%%&^!! in his*%&$@!??<>!!
Haha, I would only he was a she, and she was cute. Like you said, though, it was still a really good deal so I'm pleased.

Quote:
I want to try a dirt tank are you going MTS here or undeceided?
I finally got it all cleaned and set up. Today I put in my dirt and gravel. I just reused the compost I had in the other tank, just mixed some new with it. Then I also reused my gravel from the other tank, just had to add some extra to it. The scape, of course, is done a little differently and I will also be adding some sand to give that a try. Will pick that up tomorrow on my way to the fish store (Like I need a reason to go). I would post some pics of it but the waters really cloudy, so I will wait. It shouldn't be that long, I wouldn't think.
Old 10-08-2011, 04:06 PM   #11
2in10
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Sump surging is caused by your pump running faster than you overflow can work or the over flow not having the correct mix of air and water. You can insert airline down the overflow tube to inject air and even out the flow. It should help with the gurgle also.
2in10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 04:12 PM   #12
londonloco
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Subscribed, pics please....
londonloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 05:14 PM   #13
cableguy69846
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Dude, awesome find man. That sump should work out great for it.

I would deep six the metal halides though unless you are going to suspend them above the tank pretty high. I would imagine those will be way too much light. And get rid of the blue bulbs. They will be useless on this tank. Keep the 10,000K and replace the actinic (blue) with a 6500K, then you should be good. An other thing on the lights, you can use the fluorescent bulbs for your main light and have the halides come on as an extra burst of light in the middle of the lighting period for a few hours. That will take some tweeking though. And with that much light, I would suggest CO2 and some type of fert regiment to keep algae at bay. Also, lots of plants to start with.

Looking forward to seeing more of this. You have me subscribed.

P.S. - What happened to the pics?
The Fraternity of Dirt #39
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Cable's Madness
Fish tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.
"What the smeggin smeg's he smeggin' done now?!" - Lister
cableguy69846 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 05:56 PM   #14
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Never had any luck with the airline tube thing although I have one stuck in there at the moment! Try using the lever on the pump return to reduce the flow a little, that worked right away for me. Those surges are something. Adjusting the prefilter sponge helps with gurgles too.

Sumps are amazing, someday I will have them all figured out..............
Kathyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 12:26 AM   #15
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Sorry all. I had a reply wrote out to you all but set the keyboard down to keep a dwarf frog from jumping into the overflow, and when I came back all the responses I typed were gone Don't worry, will get back on and answer them later on tonight. For now enjoy a couple pics

Hardscape, minus the sand that will fill in the bare spots in the bottom.

Just to show the slight difference I made in the sub, and the path I put in.

Got some fishies today too More on that later, when I can remember what all I got. More pics later too, as I have started planting and the water is REALLY cloudy. Will hopefully have the majority of the planting done tonight, and should be able to take some pics tomorrow of them and the fish and stuff.

Tags
105, diy, metal halide, overflow, sump