Lucky Clover??
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 05-02-2005, 09:49 AM   #1
compulsion
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to compulsion

Lucky Clover??

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MakeTrack=true

what do you guys make of this. ill check out the plant after ive posted but has anyone kept this.. it says high and low light, at 2.7WPG this should do allright i guess but thats only if its genuinly both and not just high light.

he will only sell 1 sprig the tight git. ive asked him if he can possibly send more for the price. a bit cheeky i know but 1 plant...
2.7WPG 160W 10,000k 5xNO T8's
Sand+Eco Clay, CSM+B Baby Steps + Pres.Co2
compulsion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2005, 01:07 PM   #2
BSS
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

That plant looks pretty similar to my Marsilea quadrifolia...frequently called aquatic clover. Under high light, the plant usually produces short, single lobed, dark green growth (similar to glosso, I believe). But, when it gets shaded, it sends up higher plants, frequently producing 4-leaf clovers.

Getting a single piece/stem would be problematic. The plant took quite a while to get established in my tank (likely slowed down because of some large, shade producing plants I originally had in my tank). I'd be pretty impressed if you could get a whole foreground going off of a single sprout.

Look around. You can likely find a better sized bunch of it for much cheaper if you look around. I seem to recall the place I got mine sells is for $3-$4US. It frequently is sold as emersed growth, where the 4-leaf clovers are 3-4" in height. When you plant it in the tank, the older, long growth dies off and the shorter, single spaded growth eventually surfaces.

Regards,
Brian.
Old 05-02-2005, 02:26 PM   #3
compulsion
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to compulsion

thanks bbs, ive allready found a bigger bunch now for about the same price (the seller said incase some die off.. which i doubt the previous one has considered) so i might buy some.. my only other question is... is it definatly a carpet grower and not a floating plant.. from what i found its a floating plant or doesent like to grow to deep.
2.7WPG 160W 10,000k 5xNO T8's
Sand+Eco Clay, CSM+B Baby Steps + Pres.Co2
compulsion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2005, 02:39 PM   #4
BSS
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Unless you can get a latin name for the plant, it's likely a bit of guesswork. The Marsilea quadrifolia is definitely a foreground, carpet-like plant. Though there aren't any good close-ups in my journal (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ghlight=BSS%2A), I've got it mixed with a grass-like plant in the front center of my tank. You can also get a glimpse of it here: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ighlight=pelia. And this is the site where I purchased mine originally: http://www.floridadriftwood.com/product.asp?3=246.

So, assuming it is Marsilea quadrifolia, you can get a sense for what it should look like. If it is a different 4-leaf clover, then all bets are off.
Old 05-02-2005, 03:16 PM   #5
Stu
Planted Tank Obsessed

Greenline sell Marsilea quadrifolia for 2.50/bunch or 2.95/pot.
Also sell Marsilea crenata for 2/5, 7.50/25, 2.50/bunch, 2.95/pot

Very good service from these guys.

Eheim Pimp #121

80 litre "Planted" tank
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2005, 03:17 PM   #6
nimmat
Algae Grower

That is Marsilea quadrifolia and this guy is selling it at a very high price. I got some for half that price from another ebayer called "paceysmum". I think they changed their ID recently, so when I get time. I will trace it up.

She sent a ok sized potted bunch most of which died in a few days but they did send out runners that are now starting to spread a bit(3 weeks).

I got some from greenline as well about a year ago but sadly, they were all grown emerged and none survived when submerged

Nim
nimmat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2005, 08:26 PM   #7
eds
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Assuming it is m.q. really high price for the original "tight git."
It has an interesting growth pattern, with roots anchoring the runners which spread above the substrate.

30gal - 55W AH, ecco 2232, flourite/gravel, DIY CO2 w/ Hagen ladder

3gal - endlers/cherry shrimp
4W cf, Red Sea deco nano, flourite
eds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2005, 04:28 PM   #8
aquaphish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (53/98%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by compulsion
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MakeTrack=true

what do you guys make of this. ill check out the plant after ive posted but has anyone kept this.. it says high and low light, at 2.7WPG this should do allright i guess but thats only if its genuinly both and not just high light.

he will only sell 1 sprig the tight git. ive asked him if he can possibly send more for the price. a bit cheeky i know but 1 plant...
This is nothing short of a big ripoff!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.