Newman's Shrimp Bowl - Page 13
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 07-27-2011, 11:58 PM   #181
Flyin Hawaiian
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)

Thanks for the quick reply. I have a 1 gallon bowl just lying around and your thread is definitely inspiring. Thanks for all the awesome pics and updates!
Flyin Hawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2011, 01:57 AM   #182
Newman
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

Shrimp doing well, but any females that get berried dont keep the eggs for too long. I'm going to wait patiently till winter, when temps cool off and stay constant. Then I bet I'll have nice CRS broods. I'm assuming that SS grade CRS being very sensitive to temps is very true.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:04 PM   #183
madness
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

*bump*

Count me as another person who was inspired by Newman's shrimp bowl success.

I have had the bowls and substrate for a month but had not gotten around to filling them yet. I just got done planting and filling my 30gal XH and decided to keep on going and fill the shrimp bowls as well.

Thanks for sharing your experiences and inspiring others.
madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:27 AM   #184
jdm68
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

So I haven't started a thread about my shrimp bowl, but I do have some questions/requests for ideas. I've got a 2 gal bowl, with 6 adult(4F,2M) and 2 baby RCS(kind of a fluke, you can check "Twin Shrimps" thread if you want). Right now, ALL of the females are berried, with two of them showing eyes and one of those showing a saddle, so I'm very close to the first brood. I know that you netted out your juveniles Newman, but what about making a mini shrimp trap. Like, instead of the 20oz bottle "funnel," I could make a small funnel of plastic and put it inside a film canister(they still make those?!?). What other way(s) might I be able to move the juvies from the bowl to prevent overpopulation? Thanks for any help from anyone, and thanks especially to Newman for passing the shrimp bowl idea on; it is a super fun project and a very cool tank to keep.
jdm68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:30 AM   #185
Newman
Planted Tank Guru

thanks for following madness and jdm68.
that trap idea sound like it would work well. i remember once i tried to get snails out of a planted 10 gal with a trap made of rubber, clear hose with some shrimp pellets inside. didn't get many snails but got tons of RCS out with it lol.

Unfortunately for my bowl, i left on a two week vacation and apparently the temps got really hot in the house during this time, so i lost 3 of my crystals(they vanished): one female and the two males. All i have left now are two no-entry sign females (one is berried, but i doubt anything will happen with that).
Since I plan on moving to an apartment sometime early next year, I have to get rid of all my tanks including this bowl. I was thinking of selling the plants (with the plants from my 40 gallon too), but idk of anyone who will buy two crystal shrimp lol.
I returned from my vacation expecting to easily be able to sell the 5 crystals (4 sold and one being an extra) but now its going to be much tougher...

So in conclusion, eventually this bowl will be no more =/
Old 09-06-2011, 01:49 PM   #186
audioaficionado
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

I would think in an apartment a shrimp bowl would be something you could keep. Sorry to see this one go

45 gal tall high-tech : 2-23-12 update
Complete CO2 Leak Test : How to build a CO2 regulator

Never argue with a fool. Onlookers often can't tell the difference.
Growing older is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My advice is free and worth every penny.
audioaficionado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 05:31 PM   #187
jdm68
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Did the apartment say you couldn't have the bowl? Will they allow houseplants? That seems pretty ridiculous to me, almost like, "You can't drink out of glasses larger than 12oz!"
jdm68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 06:55 PM   #188
madness
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

It might just be that the move is going to be so difficult that he isn't willing to fight with moving over any active fish tanks.
madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:00 PM   #189
Newman
Planted Tank Guru

no, i have no idea what the apartment will allow yet. but the decision to get rid of my tanks includes this bowl. I too am sad to let this go, and idk what i should do with it.

As of right now, the only tank i am taking with me is my 3 gal reef tank. i feel like that would already be a handful to maintain when i am on my own. i don't even pay for the electricity all my tanks use up right now lol.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:52 AM   #190
Jorge_Burrito
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (30/100%)

Sorry to see that you are going to let your bowl go, we all have to make tough decision sometimes though. If you price your shrimp cheap enough someone will take them. I would take them for $10 shipped
(priority) if all else fails.
Jorge_Burrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:16 AM   #191
Newman
Planted Tank Guru

ok, i'll keep you in mind, burrito.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:16 AM   #192
Geniusdudekiran
Prodigious Plant Pundit

PTrader: (44/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge_Burrito View Post
Sorry to see that you are going to let your bowl go, we all have to make tough decision sometimes though. If you price your shrimp cheap enough someone will take them. I would take them for $10 shipped
(priority) if all else fails.
LOL He'd make approximately $1 for that deal

Have you tried selling the whole bowl, shrimp and all? I'm sure somebody local would be thrilled to have this boss bowl!
Old 09-08-2011, 11:53 PM   #193
Jorge_Burrito
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (30/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geniusdudekiran View Post
LOL He'd make approximately $1 for that deal

Have you tried selling the whole bowl, shrimp and all? I'm sure somebody local would be thrilled to have this boss bowl!
Well i did say if you price them cheap enough
Jorge_Burrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 12:12 AM   #194
shrimpnmoss
Shrimpsanity

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to shrimpnmoss

Newman,

Don't you have any other tanks? It's a shame that they keep on berrying and you're not getting anywhere. You should take the berry out and see if she releases the babies in another tank.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:37 PM   #195
Newman
Planted Tank Guru

no, i dont have any other tank with soft water that they like. this bowl is my only soft water tank. my other FW tank has pH around 7.6 and extremely hard water. all my other tanks are SW.
it is a shame that i still can't get babies. if this berry doesn't produce anything, then I will try to sell the shrimp to a friend who is buying some other stuff from me. but then again, if he can't accommodate a soft water shrimp, then i wont sell them to him =P