My Review: SunSun "Outside Filter" HW-302 - Page 35
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 07-27-2011, 09:46 PM   #511
19ginger90
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

It worked! I forgot to check my prefilter! Thanks!
19ginger90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2011, 11:25 PM   #512
phorty
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Has anyone used the AquaTop branded versions of these filters?
phorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:37 AM   #513
nalu86
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorty View Post
Has anyone used the AquaTop branded versions of these filters?
Looks the same, except you get more filter media (Filter cotton, bamboo carbon and bio balls) with it.
2x 75g+ 40B Tilapia outgrow tanks
20H Philippine blue Angelfish breeders + fry
20L CPD and Shrimp tank
10g Apisto Gibbiceps

Bengal: Meisje
Savannah Cat: Kimchee
nalu86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:38 AM   #514
andrews02r
Algae Grower

Mine is an AquaTop (model CF-400UV), same exact filter, all the way down to the art on the box. The only difference is the name.
andrews02r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:25 PM   #515
Patriot
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to Patriot

so do anyone know where to get replacement spray bars, mines is cracked or cracking.
SUNSUN PIMP #41
The Fraternity of Dirt #50
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech.
What Can Dirt Do For You?
Nikon Club Member #35
Patriot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:13 PM   #516
wespastor
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/67%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot100% View Post
so do anyone know where to get replacement spray bars, mines is cracked or cracking.
See if you get a spray bar for a Marineland C. The intake works as a replacement for me so I figure ...

Except for the impeller for the SunSun I have not found any other replacement parts.

I have the same problem as you. I figure that if the small crack I have gets any worse I'll either do a DIY spray bar or order a spray bar from some other Manufacturer. If you have the 302 the tube is 7/8" ID( I believe). You can work from there to figure out what you need or want to do.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,
Wes
Old 08-10-2011, 05:04 PM   #517
skynyrd

Would this filter AquaTop CF-400UV work with a small backyard pond?
It would sit slightly above the waterline in an enclosed box to protect it from the elements and brought in during the winter.
I dug this out when the paint was fresh on the shed.
About 5x5 18inch deep. Waterlily's are in pots and come back every year.
This year I added some goldfish (they will come inside for the winter) and was thinking of going wider n deeper next spring.
Maybe add something fancier after that.
What do you all think?
And underwater lights are going to be added soon!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0043.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	148.6 KB
ID:	33636  

skynyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 01:17 AM   #518
m00se
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot100% View Post
Why not make one? CPVC at Lowes/Home Depot, a drill, some cement, a couple of hose barbs and maybe a ball valve. Get fancy and spray paint it whatever color you want (I like black) with Krylon Fusion. This way you can customize it to fit your tank perfectly and get what YOU want rather than what comes in the box. Sorted.

Cheers
m00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 06:48 PM   #519
thtsapaddlin
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Default Giving up on SunSun?

Hey all,

I've been battling with this filter for a year (see posts dated from 8/24/2010). Tank water has always been "clean," but never crystal clear.

I left town for 2 months, and was forced to tear down (well, sort of -- I just took out my driftwood and all plants -- livestock remain) my 50t when I returned because it had gotten out-of-hand. I vacuumed, but pulling all the plant material from the tank really stirred up a lot of gunk. Now, nearly 24 hours later, the tank still has "large" pieces of organic material floating around, even with the Koralia powerhead running.

I have dispensed water from the filter into a clear glass, and there is clearly unfiltered material floating in this efferent water. There's a bypass issue somewhere, and I haven't figured it out in over a year.

Anyway, I value your opinions and I trust that if you are all happy with your 304's, and everyone is experiencing crystal-clear water, maybe I ought to buy another SunSun and hope it's not defective like my first 2 have been (first one leaked around the lid).

If not, I guess I'll have to upgrade from Chinese equipment to an Eheim 2217.

SunSun owners, could you share your thoughts? Are your 304's "sufficient" or are they "excellent?"
thtsapaddlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 07:22 PM   #520
KH2PO4
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by skynyrd View Post
Would this filter AquaTop CF-400UV work with a small backyard pond?
It would sit slightly above the waterline in an enclosed box to protect it from the elements and brought in during the winter.
I dug this out when the paint was fresh on the shed.
About 5x5 18inch deep. Waterlily's are in pots and come back every year.
This year I added some goldfish (they will come inside for the winter) and was thinking of going wider n deeper next spring.
Maybe add something fancier after that.
What do you all think?
And underwater lights are going to be added soon!
Can be forced into service but risky. Most canister filters with pump built-in
are designed to operate below an aquarium, or at least a bit lower than
the tank's waterline.

Placing it above the waterline creates negative pressure in the canister
and risks air accumulating in the canister. The pump may run dry.
KH2PO4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 07:33 PM   #521
KH2PO4
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by thtsapaddlin View Post
Hey all,

I've been battling with this filter for a year (see posts dated from 8/24/2010). Tank water has always been "clean," but never crystal clear.

I left town for 2 months, and was forced to tear down (well, sort of -- I just took out my driftwood and all plants -- livestock remain) my 50t when I returned because it had gotten out-of-hand. I vacuumed, but pulling all the plant material from the tank really stirred up a lot of gunk. Now, nearly 24 hours later, the tank still has "large" pieces of organic material floating around, even with the Koralia powerhead running.

I have dispensed water from the filter into a clear glass, and there is clearly unfiltered material floating in this efferent water. There's a bypass issue somewhere, and I haven't figured it out in over a year.

Anyway, I value your opinions and I trust that if you are all happy with your 304's, and everyone is experiencing crystal-clear water, maybe I ought to buy another SunSun and hope it's not defective like my first 2 have been (first one leaked around the lid).

If not, I guess I'll have to upgrade from Chinese equipment to an Eheim 2217.

SunSun owners, could you share your thoughts? Are your 304's "sufficient" or are they "excellent?"
Crytal-clear water is not brand-dependent. It's about bio-filtration and the state
of your tank.

Debris in efferent water can be from the hose pipe or parts in the filter itself.
When I turn off my filter for a while, I see it too when I turn it back on.
The action somehow dislodges some biofilm.
KH2PO4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 07:37 PM   #522
thtsapaddlin
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KH2PO4 View Post
Crytal-clear water is not brand-dependent. It's about bio-filtration and the state
of your tank.
Agreed, but this particular brand of filter is spewing out chunks of material in "filtered" water, 24 hours after the filter was touched. And I'm trying to figure out whether THAT is brand-dependent.
thtsapaddlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 07:58 PM   #523
HolyAngel
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via AIM to HolyAngel

Shouldn't be, I haven't had an issue out of two 302's myself in over a year of having them.. What filtration materials are you using? Any fine filter pads? Place em at the top and your water should be crystal clear.. Ive had small particles come out of you use only biomedia and no pads, but even then they're teeny tiny, nothing large by any means.. I hope you get it figured out.. And it will leak if you don't have the baskets in all the way and/or you never lubed the rubber ring with Vaseline, which is something you should make sure of with any filter..
Old 09-05-2011, 08:08 PM   #524
mach_six
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

The media determines the effectiveness.

I used sponges from XP 1 that aren't correctly sized for it just to trap some particles, I bought it for the built in UV.

I also have an Eheim Pro3 running with only bio-filter because the maintenance on it is such a pain. The main intent of the SunSun was to kill the free floating bacteria or virus that was infecting my fish.

Now that the fish are healthy again, I will re-use the XP 1 w/ mechanical pads that was temp replaced by the Sun Sun. The XP 1 is easier to maintain due to the size and the Sun Sun barelyu fits in the cabinet opening. It's also a pain in the ass to start up. The priming pump is worthless but it does give my arms a good workout when it eventually pumps all the air out... It's nothing like the ease of the Eheim Pro3 primer where I only need to use a few fingers and slight pressure and I don't break out in a sweat.
mach_six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 08:19 PM   #525
joekidwell
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thtsapaddlin View Post
Agreed, but this particular brand of filter is spewing out chunks of material in "filtered" water, 24 hours after the filter was touched. And I'm trying to figure out whether THAT is brand-dependent.
Do the hoses need cleaned?
SunSun Pimp #57
joekidwell is offline   Reply With Quote