DIY glass cleaning methods?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 09-03-2011, 08:58 PM   #1
Planted.
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

DIY glass cleaning methods?

I was wondering if there are any cleaners out there that are safe for the aquarium but are still able to clean lily pipe glass, drop checkers, diffusers, thermometers and hosing?

Does Ammonia the pure stuff, work or what about bleach as long as I rinse it thoroughly before putting it back in the tank?

I have seen stuff that you can purchase for this exact purpose but I was wondering if there was a cheaper alternative in the long run.

Thanks for any input!
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2011, 09:54 PM   #2
Sharkfood
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

Both of those work. Vinegar works well on hard water/calciferous deposits.

In all cases, you want to rinse everything off and let it evaporate dry before putting it back in the tank.
Sharkfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 10:32 PM   #3
DarkCobra
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Bleach is fine on non-porous things like glass. Rinse it well and it's gone.

Plastic may be a little porous. Rinse well, but add a bit of dechlor to the tank to mop up any trace of bleach that leaks out.

Really porous things like wood and glass diffusers require hours of soaking in dechlor to remove bleach. So if I want to get them quickly back into the tank, I use 3% hydrogen peroxide instead. It's not as good a cleaner as bleach, but traces of it won't harm your tank. In fact, it can be used in your tank as a spot treatment to clean things, at 1-2 tbsp. per 10G of water.

A nice set of bottle brushes are invaluable for cleaning hoses and other things.
DarkCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 10:33 PM   #4
In2wishin
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkfood View Post

In all cases, you want to rinse everything off and let it evaporate dry before putting it back in the tank.
I really dislike the smell of vinegar so I use citric acid (sour salt) dissolved in water for any hard water stains or build-up. I don't want to take a chance even wiping down the glass sides with regular glass cleaner so I use the same mix in a spray bottle.
In2wishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 11:06 PM   #5
Sharkfood
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

Pretty much any acid will work. Vinegar is just water with some amount of acetic acid in it of varying strength. Hard water deposits are basic, so they react easily. I've even heard of people using lime away on empty aquaria, but there are much less toxic alternatives that work just as well.
Sharkfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 11:21 PM   #6
WallaceGrover
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm assuming you mean disinfecting?

If you mean mineral stains I have hard lemon juice works wonders...
WallaceGrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 11:32 AM   #7
In2wishin
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planted. View Post
I was wondering if there are any cleaners out there that are safe for the aquarium but are still able to clean lily pipe glass, drop checkers, diffusers, thermometers and hosing?

Does Ammonia the pure stuff, work or what about bleach as long as I rinse it thoroughly before putting it back in the tank?

I have seen stuff that you can purchase for this exact purpose but I was wondering if there was a cheaper alternative in the long run.

Thanks for any input!

When I use bleach to disinfect I always use a dechlorinator in the final rinse, then air dry thouroughly.
In2wishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 01:52 PM   #8
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

It seemed to me the OP was talking about cleaners that could be used during water changes and weekly maintenance, filter maintenance, etc. or is it pre clean at set up.

I use some really harsh cleaners on glass tops to remove calcium (CRL) but it's done away from the tank and would clean deposits from any glass items but I'm not sure I would use it on anything that's going back into the water. On those items I just use a tooth brush & water to scrub and I wipe everything down with paper toewls, but I clean weekly so this may not work for folks doing bi-monthly water changes.

But even in the tank I use a stiff bottle brush to remove algae and dirt from the silicone and corners with only water and a Magfloat for the glass, on the outside it's Windex or what ever. The same for filter intakes just the bottle brush and water even if they are removed from the tank during filter maintenance I try not to use anything but water with the exception of old or stained hoses, I have used Clorox in stained hoses to make them look new again and I rinse and repeat to make sure there is not residue going into the tank.

The dechlorinator as a final rinse in a good idea but we have well water so it's not an item I would have on hand but a rinse with water while using your hands or a brush to wipe any residue will work. I try never to even get close to my tank with any chemicals while there are fauna & flora in the tank.
150EH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 05:22 PM   #9
Bettatail
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (87/98%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkfood View Post
ketchup.
and it can stick on the glass where the stain is, leave it there until it is dry or the stain gone.
Bettatail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 07:01 PM   #10
Planted.
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Thanks everyone!

150EH was correct in that I was asking for weekly maintenance purposes. I just wanted to know what to use to take the algae and crud off my glass pieces like the lily pipes, drop checker, diffuser, and thermometer. I now know what I need to do and will commence doing so hahaha.

Tags
cleaner, co2, diy, glass, solvent