LED add-on advice
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 08-31-2011, 04:20 PM   #1
chriscenter1
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

LED add-on advice

Hey guys, I'm working on upgrading my light fixture (its the Edge w/stock lighting). I've come across some options but since I'm new at this I would love to get some opinions. I'm on a bit of a budget here, so I'm sure I won't be able to get the best, but I'd at least like something decent. Anyways here's a few options that look promising, let me know what you think!

1)The walmart light zip-tie add on It looks pretty simple and I got it off this forum. Essentially its the little incandescent bulb from walmart hooked on the outside of the fixture. I'll probably do this and something else...

2) LED's Here's where I'm really looking for people with experience since I'm hoping not to waste my money too much

http://www.environmentallights.com/W...ite_P3935.aspx

This is a sample kit from this company, but it's 12" long which is I think all i would need to wind it around up by the light fixture or something.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Shoreline-...White/16606419

http://www.suntekstore.com/24cm-flex...ite.html?s0002

and these last two are the cheaper options.

With the led strips what kind of installation am I looking at here??

I saw on here that somebody rigged up a desk lamp to fit his Edge, but it sounded like algae exploded pretty soon after. Anybody tried anything like that? Oh, one detail that I omitted, I'm adding plants to this tank thats why I'm upgrading. Plants will be determined by how much light I can get.
chriscenter1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2011, 03:43 AM   #2
dbosman@msu.edu
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

There is a long thread on Edge tanks. One of the features is swapping out the stock lights for off the shelf LED lamps (lots of emitters on one lamp).
dbosman@msu.edu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
aquarium, edge, fluval, led, planted

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.