Iron Precipitating
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 08-30-2011, 04:40 AM   #1
Chris767
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Iron Precipitating

So, I have a little 2.5 gallon that I'm working on. Plants only for now. My question is, does anyone else see a noticeable precipitation of iron when they add fertilizers containing it? When I do, I chunks of brown fall out of solution. I haven't noticed any laying around on the sand, so I assume it dissolves eventually. Is this common?
Chris767 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2011, 04:51 AM   #2
Cboss
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (13/100%)

Is it actually precipitating out or could it just be pieces that were never dissolved well to begin with?

Are you using pre-mixed liquid ferts or dry dosing?

Some people don't dose macro and micro nutrients at the same time to prevent the iron from combining with the phosphorus and forming a precipitate. Although, I've never tested this so I can't say it's important.
Cboss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2011, 05:46 AM   #3
Chris767
Algae Grower

My dry ferts for EI are on order, who knows when they'll show up. I'm currently dosing Tetra FloraPride and Nutrafin Plant Gro, which from what I can tell has at least the micros and potassium. The substrate is Laterite, which, from what I've gathered, has iron. Between the pride and plant gro, I might actually have reached saturation with what ever iron chelate is introduced. Neither bottle indicates what the iron is chelated with, if they're both chelated with EDTA, it could be that the water just won't hold any more.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:30 PM   #4
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (75/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris767 View Post
My dry ferts for EI are on order, who knows when they'll show up. I'm currently dosing Tetra FloraPride and Nutrafin Plant Gro, which from what I can tell has at least the micros and potassium. The substrate is Laterite, which, from what I've gathered, has iron. Between the pride and plant gro, I might actually have reached saturation with what ever iron chelate is introduced. Neither bottle indicates what the iron is chelated with, if they're both chelated with EDTA, it could be that the water just won't hold any more.
If you are anywhere near saturation with any of the nutrients you are dosing 10 times too much. At near saturation the water is brackish and the plants and fish will suffer. I think it is safe to assume that you are far from saturation.

Some trace element mixes can get gunky after sitting in the bottle for several days. Exactly what the gunk is I don't know, but I just ignore it, and haven't seen a problem doing that.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:31 PM   #5
Chris767
Algae Grower

Found the problem, I used laterite under sand for the substrate. This left a very thin film of red dust. As I was adding the liquid ferts, it was clumping amd being pushed under.

Thanks for the input!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.