too much or too little?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 08-30-2011, 04:26 PM   #1
joekidwell
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

too much or too little?

Hello everyone, im just curious if im dosing too much or too little cause of all the algae on my rocks and starting on the glass. Its a 46gallon bowfront fully planted 2.34 wph of t5 ho sitting on the tank.

The it has three different carpet plants and a few different background plants. I do 25% waterchanges twice a week (wed-sun) and 45ml of nutrafin plant grow once a week (sun) and flourish root tabs throughout the tank. I don't have test strips or this would be alot easier, just looking for ur thoughts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6360_journalimg1c.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	34301  

SunSun Pimp #57
joekidwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2011, 04:33 PM   #2
joekidwell
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

Photo period is 9am to 9pm 2 hour siesta 12pm to 2pm 10 hours a day
SunSun Pimp #57
joekidwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:30 PM   #3
jstehman
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

If you're dosing nutrients with that light, you're gonna need CO2. Even DIY would help.

What type of rock is that?
jstehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:39 PM   #4
Higher Thinking
So good my algae pearls!

PTrader: (23/100%)

Given the wpg you supplied I'm assuming you are using 2 48" T5HO light bulbs? That is way too much light for your needs. Without CO2 being supplied I wouldn't even be using one of those. The WPG rule is totally useless and certainly should NEVER NEVER be applied to HO lighting. I would get rid of that light or raise it up off the tank quite a bit. The current trend is showing that 2 T5HO bulbs with individual reflectors is high lighting for a 75 gallon tank that has CO2 supplementation and fertilizing. Depending on various factors, tanks typically see about 6-10 hours of light per day.

Also, it is not an over abundance of nutrients that is causing your algae (which I can't really see in the picture so I can tell what kind it is). Really it looks like nothing more than your everyday bit of green algae that develops throughout tanks. Too much light, not enough CO2, that is what is causing algae. People have been successfully dosing their aquariums via the EI Method and that has produced tremendous results with little to no algae.
Higher Thinking is online now   Reply With Quote