excel melting plants?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 07-03-2011, 11:49 PM   #1
szymon328
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

excel melting plants?

i just bought some excel just to try it out and im worried about it killing my java fern. i remember reading somewhere that theres a way to still dose and keep the java fern from disintegrating but i dont remember where i read it, and i basicly bought it to test it out in my smaller planted tanks before i add it to my 180g which i dont want to run co2 on because of the cost and im running a sump. im eventually hoping to use metricide for soluble co2 in the 180 but again i want to make sure that my plants will be ok. is there any way to slowly dose the tank and avoid the java fern from dieing?
szymon328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2011, 12:51 AM   #2
PinoyBoy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

I double dose my tanks with java ferns and they're still doing great. I think the best way to do this is just dose by what it says on the bottle, then slowly increase it daily so the plants will be slowly accustomed to it. By the way metricide and other glutaraldehyde based products are just carbon substitutes, not soluble co2. If you're going to dose with SeaChem's direction, just remember that there are different strength levels for metricide/cidex compared to Excel.
Old 07-04-2011, 04:27 PM   #3
szymon328
Algae Grower

thats what i was thinking to just slowly dose up to the level seachem recomends. and ive been reading up on metricide and its 2.5 times stronger or something like that than excell so thats about half the dosing thats required with excel right?
Old 07-05-2011, 07:01 PM   #4
jrman83
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

I've never had a problem with Java Ferns and Excel. They are pretty tough. None of those products will replace CO2, especially if the lighting is of a certain level. In the long run CO2 may be cheaper anyways, if you're using the Excel brand.
Eheim Pimp #448
jrman83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:42 PM   #5
szymon328
Algae Grower

not using excel thankfully... moved on to matricide lol i need it for my 180 and it has a sump which makes pressurized co2 out of the question
Old 08-30-2011, 12:21 AM   #6
jart
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by szymon328 View Post
i need it for my 180 and it has a sump which makes pressurized co2 out of the question
You may want to research this further. I have never had a sump but I know I have read posts from people that do (with CO2). You would have to find a way to limit gas exchange from the sump, but it has been done. Just a thought. And I agree with the above posters... java fern is tough!
jart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 12:29 AM   #7
2in10
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

I have run Excel at 3.4X the recommended dose with no problem with java fern.
2in10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 05:48 AM   #8
astrosag
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I use Excel with a needle leave java fern and it hasn't been an issue. I recently rechecked excel dosing when I bought some Anachris to fill the back of my tank - Anachris is notable for melting with Excel.

The only exception I read is being diligent with it - begin with small dose and bump it up and people have not had even notoriously non-Excel friendly plants die on them. I' kept up my dosing even with the anachris and so far no signs of melting.

I think its worth a shot at the very least. Chances are, though, your fern will be quite alright.
astrosag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 07:47 AM   #9
DerangedCorgi
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

My downoi is doing pretty well with excel. I was spot dosing some equipment next to it and it didn't melt.
DerangedCorgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:45 PM   #10
szymon328
Algae Grower

yea ive been spot dosing with metricide to get rid of the bba i have and the ancharis i have is doing great ive just slowly bumped up the dosing. as for pressurized co2, i dont think its worth it because the pipe leading down to the sump is like a 5 foot waterfall lol all the co2 would just gas off. my tanks pretty low tech too. i just grabed some lights from my basement, just the slandered 40 watt fluorescent and i have 4 bulbs over it at the moment.... i might upgrade the lighting soon and shoot for 2.5 watts per gallon or more and get stronger bulbs to boost the intesity. o and lastly, have u guys used excel on val. gigantea? im sure that if u dose slowly then build it up it should be fine... but im still a bit worried
Old 08-30-2011, 03:51 PM   #11
szymon328
Algae Grower

this is why im worried. im looking to buy some vals and treetom responded saying he'll sell me some after his plants regrow from this

Metricide 14. Excel did not melt my Vals (Spiral or Italian) but Metricide 14 took the beauties to there knees. I had OD for algae control with the Excel and had minor damage to the Vals, but on small doses of Metricide 14 I found them to show significant signs of damage but shrugged it off to other factors. Not until I gave a full dose of Metricide 14 did I see what horrible things it could do. After first night the plants looked semi translucent, by day two they were falling apart, and by day 3 it was a complete break down of the plant nearly to the root. I will send current photo's to show the current growth. I would sell some now but am afraid they would be overly stressed and die. Hopefully they send off runners soon and I can spread the plant to more that want them.