5G Low Tech, Rocks and Stems...Updated 6-8-2012
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 07-28-2011, 12:47 AM   #1
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

5G Low Tech, Rocks and Stems...Updated 6-8-2012

This is the first small tank I have had. It is actually my girl friends tank but I set it all up, do all the maintenance, etc. It started off as basically no tech, just a light, no heater, no filter, etc. It is just over a year old. It is also the first time any aquatic animal I have had has a name. She is Liby, aka Liby Liberty as we got her on the 4th of July

This tank has been awesome as it has been the easiest tank ever. I have had no algae except a tiny bit of GDA on the glass, and I mean tiny amount. I only paid about $30 for everything, tank, top and gravel. The light and filter were left over. Pretty much all plants were from my other tanks.

Specs:
-AGA 5 gallon
-Home made light fixture using 2 CFLS (15 watts x2)
-Zoo Med 501 filter
-No Heater
-Critter cage top
-Petco gravel

Ferts:
Food and Excel when I remember

Fauna:
1 Dwarf African Frog

Flora:
Misc Stems

This is really hard to photograph due to where the tank is, the light fixture, and the fact I don't have a tripod here. I did my best but it looks better in person. Probably time for a trim

Last edited by talontsiawd; 06-09-2012 at 08:16 PM..
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2011, 01:58 AM   #2
PinoyBoy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

Nice scape for the tank, it looks larger than a 5G if the shells aren't visible. How long has the red plant been in your tank? It looks like a red tiger lotus and I thought they get huge.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:38 AM   #3
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

The tiger lotus has been in for about 4 months. I trim it back constantly. Honestly, I used to trim it so the leaves where only about .5in. My GF likes the bigger leaves so I keep it about the size it is with that size leave. You can keep them small with trimming.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:00 PM   #4
FIT BMX
Planted Member

Looks really good, great job!
FIT BMX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2011, 06:36 PM   #5
Aphyosemion
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Aphyosemion

A very nice looking low maintenance jungle tank. The only thing that seems to be lacking is a good foreground. You could try some low light options like mosses to fill it in. I'll bet there are some others that might work as well, depending on how much light is getting to the front. I think that would really complete your tank and give it a little extra something.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:08 PM   #6
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphyosemion View Post
A very nice looking low maintenance jungle tank. The only thing that seems to be lacking is a good foreground. You could try some low light options like mosses to fill it in. I'll bet there are some others that might work as well, depending on how much light is getting to the front. I think that would really complete your tank and give it a little extra something.
I have tried a few foreground plants. HC was the first, then I tried two types of grasses. The light is not the issue, the frog rips it up. HC was too fragile, anything that throws out runners gets pulled up as the new runners don't root deeply enough.

Right now there is some glosso, about 1/3 of what I originally planted. I am hoping that it will be durable enough. It is just starting to spread but I may buy some more to have it fill end more quickly.

I totally agree with you, it really needs something, I didn't take the frog's behavior into account on previous attempts.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:14 PM   #7
firefiend
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Absolutely gorgeous! Great work.
firefiend is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2011, 12:42 AM   #8
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Small update. I trimmed and put in some Blyxa. I am planning to add some more Glosso, it really needs a foreground

Old 08-16-2011, 12:50 AM   #9
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Sooo, unfortunately Liby died. I am not sure what happened, my girlfriend had been working a lot and I had been sick so I wasn't over there for a week. I tested the water and everything seemed fine, don't know what happened.

I also had to tear out all the plants in the back to find the body. I didn't take pictures but it will have to "grow into itself again". I am thinking it will look back to normal in about 2 weeks. The good thing is I made more room for new plants.

My question. We are not sure if we want another frog, or fish. As much as my girlfriend likes frogs, I think fish will bring a lot more life to this tank.

What would you suggest for a 5 gallon? I don't want to break the bank with something rare or exotic. A frog costs $2. A LFS has some cool varieties of Endlers which are appealing to me as I like the colors. I really would just go for guppies but they will be too big for the tank. I am just looking for something colorful that can deal with the small size. The smaller, the better.
Old 08-16-2011, 01:18 AM   #10
shrimpnmoss
Shrimpsanity

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to shrimpnmoss

Make it a shrimp tank!
Old 08-16-2011, 01:20 AM   #11
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpnmoss View Post
Make it a shrimp tank!
As much as I love the idea, it's my GF's tank and she doesn't like shrimp. Frog or fish.
Old 08-16-2011, 02:46 AM   #12
shrimpnmoss
Shrimpsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post
As much as I love the idea, it's my GF's tank and she doesn't like shrimp. Frog or fish.
Whatever you get, you can always throw 10 cheaper nice looking shrimps in for her...she might like them eventually. Fire Reds are about a buck or so on SnS. Lot of people keep fish with shrimps and eventually decide that the shrimps were much more fascinating to look at and turn to the dark side.
Old 08-16-2011, 02:57 AM   #13
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Whatever you get, you can always throw 10 cheaper nice looking shrimps in for her...she might like them eventually. Fire Reds are about a buck or so on SnS. Lot of people keep fish with shrimps and eventually decide that the shrimps were much more fascinating to look at and turn to the dark side.
Right now I have GBR in the tank I have at my house that I wanted for shirmp. I have some Fire Reds in there but the GBR's keep them hiding. I may move them and them my Fire Reds will start breeding. I will say I have too many. That's probably the only way she will do it. But I now have a plan
Old 08-16-2011, 03:00 AM   #14
shrimpnmoss
Shrimpsanity

once you move your fire reds over...they'll do nice in that jungle of hers....that's a good size tank for shrimps too...plus it is a mature tank so they'll do great...GBR chow shrimps like nobody's business..at least mine did....
Old 08-16-2011, 03:17 AM   #15
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
once you move your fire reds over...they'll do nice in that jungle of hers....that's a good size tank for shrimps too...plus it is a mature tank so they'll do great...GBR chow shrimps like nobody's business..at least mine did....
Yeah, the GBR wasn't a good choice but I had no choice. I was sold 2 males for a different tank and they were going to kill each other. I bought 2 females and separated them. They were only going to be in this tank for a bit but they ended up hiding so much I don't know how to catch them. Someday I will get to that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.