Another NPT Conversion "Mezza Luna"
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 08-08-2011, 09:18 PM   #1
frrok
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Another NPT Conversion "Mezza Luna"

***5/2/2012***

Here is a 10 gallon that i converted to a dirt substrate over the weekend. I chose to name it, Mezza Luna (italian for "half moon")
Pics are in this order, the before shot , layout of substrate then final planting . Let me know what you think of the scape, any critiques? Wood is manzanita that i ordered from badcop As far as equipment goes I am using a zoo med 501 for filtration(which I had to return to one petco cuz it was defective) Archaea 27w power compact fixture. Substrate is MGOCPM and Eco complete as cap. Only black gravel I could find that was the close to the size that needed, black and natural. After I planted I quickly realized how light eco was and some plants kept floating up. Very frustrating. I had better luck with super naturals gravel that I used in my 3.5. It's unfortunate that these companies do not make a fine black natural gravel(thats not sand) in 1-3mm. That would be ideal. Anyway, hope you enjoy. As it was a struggle to re-do it, especially with fish. I'm really happy with the outcome. And it is by no means finished. I want to added a few more species of stem plants and I have knock off lily pipes on order as I don't care for the intake and outflow.l on the zoo med. Dirt is awesome!
Attached Images

The Fraternity of Dirt #11
Wabi-kusa Pimp #6

25cm Cube

ADA MINI-M Journal

ADA MINI-M REDUX

Last edited by frrok; 06-05-2012 at 02:57 AM..
frrok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2011, 09:30 PM   #2
Chlorophile
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Looks great! Raise the water level on that baby though!
Chlorophile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2011, 09:39 PM   #3
frrok
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chlorophile View Post
Looks great! Raise the water level on that baby though!
Ah ha! Thanks! I think I took that pic before I topped it off... Like I said I still have some finishing touches. I'm so impatient I wanted to take a pic and throw it up. I will post another pic once I have everything the way I want it.
Wabi-kusa Pimp #6

25cm Cube

ADA MINI-M Journal

ADA MINI-M REDUX
Old 08-11-2011, 06:09 PM   #4
frrok
Wannabe Guru

Here's some more picks. Tank was dirted on Saturday. Water is just now starting to get cloudy. Not bad for freshly dirted tank. I didn't mineralize per se. But I did soak and drain the dirt a few times and left it out to dry one day. Plants are melting a bit but I chalk that up to being freshly submersed in new conditions. Water change is planned for the weekend. Enjoy.
Side note: I ordered some black 2mm fine gravel from substratesource.com. I want to lay a very thin layer over the hairgrass to keep in place a little better. Some of it floated up a few times. Taking a risk with the hairgrass with no co2 and ferts. But I've seen pics of it growing well in Eco complete with nothing else. What do you guys think?
Attached Images

Wabi-kusa Pimp #6

25cm Cube

ADA MINI-M Journal

ADA MINI-M REDUX
Old 08-13-2011, 06:20 AM   #5
madness
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

I definitely like the scape on this one better than on the 3.5 gallon.

Nothing wrong with the other one, this one just reflects a more mature style I guess.

Is that the Marineland 10g half-moon? If so, what are your thoughts on it? I have been debating taller (but still relatively small volume) tanks that are more 'display' friendly and that is one of the few tanks that fits the bill.
madness is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2011, 09:54 AM   #6
sewingalot
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)

That was a cute non-planted tank, it's was very interesting. But now it's fabulous! Are you worried about your betta jumping? I've lost my fair share to carpet surfing. I like the half moon look.
Old 08-13-2011, 04:31 PM   #7
driftwoodhunter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)

Wonderful transformation! I'm really liking the darker substrates people are using, I'm going to add a small amount of the blacker FloraMax on top of the FloraMax/pea gravel cap I have on my 55 dirt tank. My fish will show up on it better, and it is a more harmonious look, in my eyes.
Love your tank - all these lovely dirt tanks have really motivated me to redo my 40b - but I'll wait until I can get the schematics of a Hobbit home down pat! lol (hey, I love old-timey ceramic decorations, too. Campy can be chic! - in my mind, anyway lol)
The Fraternity of Dirt # 7 - Daughter of the Dirt - Canon Club #018
Twin 29g Dirt Tanks on an Iron Stand - DIY 3D Backgrounds
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...stand-pic.html
The Behemoth - 125 dirt tank
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=199772
driftwoodhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2011, 05:23 PM   #8
harrow
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Really glad to see other halfmoon tank owners. I see that you upgraded your light and filter, how do you like the zoo med canister and what light is that.
harrow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2011, 03:27 AM   #9
firefiend
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewingalot View Post
That was a cute non-planted tank, it's was very interesting. But now it's fabulous! Are you worried about your betta jumping? I've lost my fair share to carpet surfing. I like the half moon look.

you know, almost 20 years I've never had a betta jump out of its tank... I've lost gold fish that way, and an african dwarf frog once... but that's it, haha.
firefiend is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2011, 06:00 PM   #10
frrok
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by madness View Post
I definitely like the scape on this one better than on the 3.5 gallon.

Nothing wrong with the other one, this one just reflects a more mature style I guess.

Is that the Marineland 10g half-moon? If so, what are your thoughts on it? I have been debating taller (but still relatively small volume) tanks that are more 'display' friendly and that is one of the few tanks that fits the bill.
Thanks. That's exactly how I feel. My little tank was sort of an experiment. Work out the kinks until I learned more then move on to something nicer. So no offense at all. I love this tank, but it is a challenge to scape and challenge to pick the right fish. Since taller than it is wide. I have one glo fish in there but he should probably be in a longer tank. But the small footprint helps. I live in small apt at the beach in nyc. I dint have much room for bigger tanks. The stand is DIY as well btw. It's epai(sp?) wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewingalot View Post
Thanks! I really worked hard on it. I still have a way to go but I'm happy on how this started so far.
I'm more worries about my Siberian kitten getting to the fish then the betta jumping out! Lol!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrow View Post
Really glad to see other halfmoon tank owners. I see that you upgraded your light and filter, how do you like the zoo med canister and what light is that.
So far I really like the zoo med. It's quiet and it's functional. I didn't like the intake and outakes so I swapped them out for fake lily pipes. I had to rig them to fit the zoo med tubing tho. See next post. I will post a pic of it.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:11 PM   #11
frrok
Wannabe Guru

Excuse the poor quality. For some reason the app won't let me post the high quality version even tho I'm on wifi. Anyway. You can see how I had to rig the lily pipes. I needed to get reduction valves so the tubing would fit. The materials were cheap but it was a hassle putting it all together.

Side note. Water is still a bit cloudy after a pwc this weekend. I may do another one today or tomorrow. Excess nutrients most likely from dirt + Eco. I actually drained and dried the Eco before I added it as a cap to the dirt. Frogbit has already doubled!
Attached Images

Wabi-kusa Pimp #6

25cm Cube

ADA MINI-M Journal

ADA MINI-M REDUX
Old 08-15-2011, 06:18 PM   #12
harrow
Algae Grower

Those lily pipes look a lot better then the stock ones.
harrow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2011, 06:24 PM   #13
frrok
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrow View Post
Those lily pipes look a lot better then the stock ones.
Oh and the light is a 27w archaea power compact. Gift for my bday from the gf.
Wabi-kusa Pimp #6

25cm Cube

ADA MINI-M Journal

ADA MINI-M REDUX
Old 08-15-2011, 06:31 PM   #14
nonconductive
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

nice tank!
The Fraternity of Dirt #2
nonconductive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2011, 01:31 PM   #15
frrok
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonconductive View Post
nice tank!
Thanks! It's really alot of fun. I got in there last night and trimmed the hairgrass. Man that was a pain! Lol
Wabi-kusa Pimp #6

25cm Cube

ADA MINI-M Journal

ADA MINI-M REDUX

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.