29 Gallon Low Tech & DIY Stand (56K!) Retired see pg 3 for new look - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 07-29-2011, 01:19 AM   #31
kamikazi
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

eggs are gone
kamikazi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2011, 12:18 PM   #32
Wingsdlc
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Wingsdlc

Sorry about the eggs. This was their first go at it. Some times it takes them a couple of times to get it right (hopefully we do better in our own parenting!).
Wingsdlc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2011, 02:30 PM   #33
kamikazi
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsdlc View Post
Sorry about the eggs. This was their first go at it. Some times it takes them a couple of times to get it right (hopefully we do better in our own parenting!).
True that!
Old 10-04-2011, 07:18 PM   #34
kamikazi
Planted Tank Guru

Default Update

Update time.

After killing the BGA in this tank things are really starting to look good.

I began dosing according to Tom Barr's "EI Dosing Light for Less Techy Folks" combined with daily dosing of Excel.

Plants have been changed and moved around some since the last post. But this big difference is in the water sprite and pretty good difference in my amazon sword. The angelfish destroyed the parrots feather. I put Alternanthera reinecki in its place and its doing great.

Fish are all doing well. The angelfish have had two unsuccessful breeding sessions. I'm not really want to breed them, but it would be cool to see fry hatch at least once.

Anyways, the pictures (really should have taken these after I did my tank maintenance but I was impatient.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:22 PM   #35
kamikazi
Planted Tank Guru

Default Update

Old 10-04-2011, 08:29 PM   #36
2in10
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

very nice tank, plants and animals
2in10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2011, 10:30 AM   #37
Wingsdlc
Wannabe Guru

Nice shots! I really like the stress line through the ram's eye. Only one of mine has that.

A nice planting of stems down the middle, kept thick and about mid height would look nice.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:30 PM   #38
kamikazi
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Nice shots! I really like the stress line through the ram's eye. Only one of mine has that.

A nice planting of stems down the middle, kept thick and about mid height would look nice.
yeh, I'm thinking of taking the clips from the water sprite and lining it down the middle and move the blyxa to outer edges. Maybe take the alternanthera and put it in the middle as well giving some contrast the the water sprite. The water sprite is doing really well now that the BGA is gone.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:50 PM   #39
DrewWoodside
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikazi View Post
yeh, I'm thinking of taking the clips from the water sprite and lining it down the middle and move the blyxa to outer edges. Maybe take the alternanthera and put it in the middle as well giving some contrast the the water sprite. The water sprite is doing really well now that the BGA is gone.
I'm just wondering, does your Bolivian ever chase after one of the angels? I"m guessing probably not since it's a pair of angels and they are noticeably bigger. Just wondering. Mine does from time to time
DrewWoodside is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2012, 03:46 PM   #40
kamikazi
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewWoodside View Post
I'm just wondering, does your Bolivian ever chase after one of the angels? I"m guessing probably not since it's a pair of angels and they are noticeably bigger. Just wondering. Mine does from time to time
Turns out the Bolivian ram is now dead. The angelfish beat him up pretty bad during one of their spawns, unfortunately I was unable to save him. To answer your question, no he never bothered them except if there was a wafer at the bottom he would chase them away from it.

Update on the tank....
Water Sprite is now spread in a line down the middle of the tank. The angelfish spawn every couple weeks. So far none of the babies have survived much beyond a week after becoming free swimming. I'm not trying to be a breeder so its not the end of the world.

Everything else is going as normal. Need to get some new pictures up.
Old 02-25-2012, 12:58 AM   #41
Wingsdlc
Wannabe Guru

Sorry to hear about your ram. One of these days I should hook you up with a couple of mine. I am starting to think that the six in my 75 might be too many. I would also like to do some Apistos at some point.

How about this, before March 1st we update pictures of our tanks? I need to do the same. Mine is a bit of a mess right now though.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:01 PM   #42
kamikazi
Planted Tank Guru

Default Big Picture Update!

These pics are about a month or two old now but aside from plant growth and trimming nothing has really changed. The big alternanthera is now growing up and horizontally across the tank at the water surface The angelfish spawns never grow up. They spawn about every two weeks and end up eating the fry, letting them be eaten or they die...I haven't actually witnessed the demise of a spawn yet. But thats ok I don't have room for raising angelfish.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:05 PM   #43
kamikazi
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Sorry to hear about your ram. One of these days I should hook you up with a couple of mine. I am starting to think that the six in my 75 might be too many. I would also like to do some Apistos at some point.

How about this, before March 1st we update pictures of our tanks? I need to do the same. Mine is a bit of a mess right now though.

At this point I'm not sure where I would put a Bolivian Ram, I guess in my 40 with the Asian fish since its likely any in the 29 would just get harassed by the angelfish parents. I'd happily take a couple off your hands I love bolivians.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:41 PM   #44
Wingsdlc
Wannabe Guru

Well it looks like I failed at my own challenge. Will try and snap a few shots of the tank tonight.

Really like the shots of the angle fish fry. Breeding fish is a blessing and a curse all at the same time. Sometimes it is really hard to get rid of baby fish when you don't have room for them.

Looks like your tank is turning into a jungle. Doesn't take long sometimes.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:46 PM   #45
kamikazi
Planted Tank Guru

Default time for another update 4/25/12

Another big update, as you can tell I have run out of room for plants in the tank, so I decided to look into ripariums. I also drew inspiration from the Planted HOB thread.

I got the planters (shower caddies) for like 2 bucks at dollar general. The foam for the peninsulas I had lying around from electronic packaging.

I'm waiting to get some hydroton for the planters. I'm also on the look out for additional plants for the foam peninsulas and the one planter.

Here is what the tank looks like now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.