2.5G - [UPDATE 3.12.12 photo on last post] - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 07-21-2011, 11:57 PM   #16
gnod
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)

quick update:

i feel like in the last 3 days i've had more visible growth then the last 2 weeks or so.

fts:

i can't tell if the m. minuta is rooting or not... small nodes have browned and died, others are still green. :X

right side

left side

the red plant im not sure about - in only 3 or so days, i already see growth!

this is anubias petite that i had left over. i cut the original portion smaller but had trouble growing this one... once i moved it into this tank however, i think i've seen new leaves every other day so far. amazing how light is so important.. i know the position of the anubias may not be the best, and i sorta feel that way too. so if you have a suggestion, please share with me.

finally - i can't tell if my glosso is rooting and spreading runners.. i know that usually, they grow upwards and i have to trim them. do i have to do this now so that they send out runners? i'm almost tempted to go co2 with this tank... i want my glosso carpet! :P

thanks ya'll!
gnod is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2011, 03:08 AM   #17
home grown
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

looks good so far
Old 07-26-2011, 12:01 AM   #18
gnod
Wannabe Guru

quick update:
fts

glosso is growing well, but more vertical than horizontal.

i added a mystery snail to see if it'll help with the dusty/fungus sheet on top of parts of my substrate. i cleaned most of them out but they're still there.

should i trim and replant the glossos' that have the longer, taller stem?
Old 07-27-2011, 04:07 AM   #19
gnod
Wannabe Guru

dang.. no comments still? i thought everyone loves photos
Old 07-27-2011, 04:30 AM   #20
JoraaÑ
"Tirèd~about to Retirë "

PTrader: (338/100%)

In new set up it comes and goes in no time...wait..what filter u using? co2?
JoraaÑ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 06:47 AM   #21
shrimpnmoss
Shrimpsanity

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to shrimpnmoss

I like your snail. Shrimps keeps your sub clean.
shrimpnmoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:56 AM   #22
gnod
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joraan View Post
In new set up it comes and goes in no time...wait..what filter u using? co2?
haha i am using red sea nano filter and no co2 yet. i initially didn't want to use any co2 but i may try DIY co2, and reactor - looks fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpnmoss View Post
I like your snail. Shrimps keeps your sub clean.
yea i think that snail was the only option i had of putting anything in there. it's too warm still to put anything else in there :X

my glosso is still growing upwards... i guess i have to trim and replant those
Old 08-02-2011, 03:48 AM   #23
gnod
Wannabe Guru

quick update:
trimmed the red plant i still don't know the name of, lol
glosso is growing well but i can't tell if it's spreading its runners yet
the m. minuta is somewhat stagnant? some of them have been browning a bit

some photos:

why does my m. minuta have 3 leaf clovers? haha

one other note - i think i'm going to stay away from fluval stratum. as someone who enjoys slightly tweaking the scape here and there, the substrate is too volatile in terms of cloudiness. ill stick with eco or something else. :P

i'm feeling impatient as i want to see some signs that glosso is spreading... and also because i want to rescape my tank. i got some awesome new driftwood ill be adding to my new 5.5G but... any suggestions for this one is welcomed.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:06 AM   #24
gnod
Wannabe Guru

hmm something just came across my mind but, do i not have enough light on this tank?
i had a 23W (100w equivalent) on this tank 2 inches from the top. i figured it was super high light so i just increased the distance by another few inches.. or do i have too much light?
Old 08-02-2011, 03:59 PM   #25
firefiend
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

what's the lumens on the light?

23w for a 2.5 gallons, at only 2 inches from the water surface seems like it would be high-light. I would certainly raise the light a few inches, 8" - 10" above the waterline... maybe even 12".

I'm not familiar with glosso or minuta to help much there but keep it up... I like your tank is evolving and look forward to seeing more.
firefiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 04:14 PM   #26
gnod
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefiend View Post
what's the lumens on the light?

23w for a 2.5 gallons, at only 2 inches from the water surface seems like it would be high-light. I would certainly raise the light a few inches, 8" - 10" above the waterline... maybe even 12".

I'm not familiar with glosso or minuta to help much there but keep it up... I like your tank is evolving and look forward to seeing more.
thanks for ur comment!

i believe it's 1600lm based on home depot's specification info available on their website. i raised it because i realized that too much high light can actually be adverse for their growth, although i've got no scientific data like some experts have here.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:31 AM   #27
sampster5000
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)

I like the red plant by the rocks. Do you know what that is? The marsilea wont kick off for a few months so dont worry about it not doing much right now. When I started with my marsilea I had half of my portion die off. Took 2 1/2 months for it to start spreading and I ended up filling my whole 15 gallon with it. Very easy plant once its rooted in.
Raok Club #43

20 Gallon Shrimp

"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again."
sampster5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:44 PM   #28
Geniusdudekiran
Prodigious Plant Pundit

PTrader: (44/100%)

Hey, if we're still hatin' on shrimp stratum, lemme just say, it clouds like nobody's business. When I rescaped, it looked like muddy swamp water and killed my shrimp. Terrible.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:49 PM   #29
gnod
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampster5000 View Post
I like the red plant by the rocks. Do you know what that is? The marsilea wont kick off for a few months so dont worry about it not doing much right now. When I started with my marsilea I had half of my portion die off. Took 2 1/2 months for it to start spreading and I ended up filling my whole 15 gallon with it. Very easy plant once its rooted in.
haha i still have no idea! i just picked one up from my LFS a while ago, and it's turned out to be awesome. and i think the plant i have isn't m. minuta but m. quad-something or another.. it gave out 4 leaf, (not 3 like i said in above posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geniusdudekiran View Post
Hey, if we're still hatin' on shrimp stratum, lemme just say, it clouds like nobody's business. When I rescaped, it looked like muddy swamp water and killed my shrimp. Terrible.
seriously.. i think it's ok if it's used just for shrimps with little to no rescaping but... i'm a bit finicky with my scapes and like scaping so... i think ill be going back to eco complete.

quick update: i sold off the RCS colony in my other tank and still found couple hiding in my mosses even though i thought i got everything out. put them in the 2.5G and one is berried again. -___- put 3 otos in here too to clean with some micro bugs i found on the glass

fts soon hopefully.. hehe
Old 08-10-2011, 01:23 AM   #30
gnod
Wannabe Guru

BEFORE:

AFTER:

I took out all the m.m. or m.q. or whatever it was because.. i dont know, felt out of place to me.
i added a tree branch (preview of what i have for the 5.5G) and trimmed and replanted the glosso. i can't be sure if my glosso is carpeting but.. i feel like it's taking a while.. am i doing something wrong?

close up of the right:

i still don't know what that red plant is, but i think that may be my favorite.