Overdriving 18" F15T8 bulbs... - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 11-06-2002, 05:37 PM   #16
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

Never apologize for asking questions. The dumbest questions are the ones you kept to yourself.

I'd suggest sticking with the 18" bulbs. My 20g High tank is 24" long and a set of 24" bulbs would definitely hang off the edge of the tank. The bulbs themselves are 24" long, and the sockets and hood material would quickly make them 26"+.

The standard fluorescent sockets will work fine. They are the same size for T8 and T12 bulbs, so don't worry. Face Mount have screw tabs so you can mount them to a board or your gutter material. Snap in have ribs to slide onto a slot cut out of reflector material. I'd suggest the face mount, and screw them together.

This is definitely doable. All you'll need is some wire caps to hold your wire connections together. Or you could use bullet connectors, solder/heatshrink, whichever method you feel most comfortable with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2002, 06:17 PM   #17
mik3yy
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Cool.. I'm gonna go for it. Wire caps are the little things used to twist 2 electrical wires together right ? Would it be safe to use at 2x using 2 of the 4 pair of wires ?
mik3yy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 02:13 PM   #18
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

Yep, those are wire caps. I am actually currently using the 2x since I couldn't find a 4x ballast at Home Depot. I eventually found a 4x ballast at Lowes (It wasn't Advance or GE, but an OSRAM ballast, which is still really good). So I have been thinking of trying the two 18" bulbs in series driven 4x. You should go ahead and try it! At 2x, it is only pulling less than 0.4 amps, so there is plenty of room for more current. Try hooking all four wires and if the bulbs get too warm for you, go back to two.
Old 11-10-2002, 04:00 AM   #19
NFish
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Location: Colorado, USA, North America, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

I don't total understand all this OD, but it sure sounds good! I have a 20 long (30" long) than would take 24 inch bulbs. I was thinking 2 bulbs ODNO.(how many watts would that be?) I would be doing this from scratch (no reftrofitting). I would get a glass top and buy which ballast? (could you be specific--where to buy, website would be nice) What endcaps/fixture to buy; any extra wires I need? I have had some very limited experience with some elctrical re-wiring of aquarium lights, but still don't really know what I'm doing. Then, how could I apply this to a 55 gallon tank (currently 2 24in bulbs)

Thanks
NFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 06:01 PM   #20
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

I'll be doing a complete step-by-step writeup on how to do this in a few weeks, along with pictures and everything.

It's really simple, but fairly risky if you don't wire it up right.