When Shall I add My Bacteria?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Ponds

Old 07-24-2011, 01:12 PM   #1
Swan900
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

When Shall I add My Bacteria?

I have been off the forum for ages due to my pond project. I have it all running now and ready to go. I have a good filter bacteria at hand, one that allows oxygen to enter and has a short expiry date to ensure 'living' bacteria. Problem is i cant think when to add it, it doesnt really say. I know from what to do with indoor tropical aquariums but I thought it would be safe to ask as its my first pond! My fish are going to be in there in 6 days time about 10 English Bred Koi at 4-6" in size. Thanks in advance.

P.S I havent added my pond dechloirnator in yet so shall i do that now? I cant belive how amateur I feel, been of the TPT for ages!

Swan

** Fluval Pimp #21 **

17 Gallon Planted Room Tank
6.3 Gallon Planted Nano
Swan900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2011, 02:39 PM   #2
FIT BMX
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Got any photos of the pond?
FIT BMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 03:01 PM   #3
Postal Penguin
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

You should only add the bacteria when you have a way of supplying the bacteria with ammonia, otherwise they may starve and die. If the pond is small enough, you can add the bacteria and then dose with household ammonia until the fish arrive.
Postal Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 06:35 PM   #4
Swan900
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postal Penguin View Post
You should only add the bacteria when you have a way of supplying the bacteria with ammonia, otherwise they may starve and die. If the pond is small enough, you can add the bacteria and then dose with household ammonia until the fish arrive.
Its 4800 litres, I have household ammonia, shall I add it and supply it with some of this? Thanks!

Swan

** Fluval Pimp #21 **

17 Gallon Planted Room Tank
6.3 Gallon Planted Nano
Swan900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 07:39 PM   #5
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (258/100%)

Add plants, there's your bacteria and loaded with them, and the way to remove any fish waste.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:33 PM   #6
Imaginary1226
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

When I set up my pond I threw in some seasoned filter material, some plants, and some dirty water from rinsing out a filter. Seemed to do the trick.
Imaginary1226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 06:24 AM   #7
adamprice271
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via AIM to adamprice271

Dechlorinate immediately, add the bacteria the night before Koi arrival. Get several floating plants (water lettuce, water Hyacinth) not sure if you call it the same over there. That will suffice for sure. I clean out my pond once a year, but gets a net over it for fall and winter. Pond is drained, Koi in a large tub with filter. Powerwashed, rinsed and refilled with tap water. Dechlorinated, add bacteria, add plants, add fish. Simple as that really. Koi and alot of goldfish are almost "bullet proof". I need to get some pics of my Koi up...can't find the camera cable
125g semi planted. 2 silver angels, 14 silver tips, 16 white fin ornatus tetras, pair of Nicaraguense, pair of nototus severums, trio of firemouth cichlids. 2 FX5s, 1 1500gph circ pump, 2 48" LED lighs, and a HUGE piece of driftwood.

650g fish room. 15 30g tanks, 150g sump.
adamprice271 is offline   Reply With Quote