One good store in Auburn, AL
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Alabama

Old 08-24-2004, 01:49 AM   #1
Georgiadawgger
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

One good store in Auburn, AL

I don't have the phone number or the exact address but here is a good place:

Armchair safari pet center

They usually have a great selection of fish including rainbowfish, bristlenose plecos, live plants, amano shrimp, etc...plus some exotic animals like Bearded dragons (their male and female has had two clutches hatch), ferrets, chinchillas, etc.

Located in Opelika (Auburn) Alabama off Opelika Hwy. In the same shopping center as the old Office Depot next to City Trends.
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2004, 07:04 AM   #2
bab23
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Red face i am from auburn too.....

what is your opinion on the new Petco here? i have taken my water for them to test and they seem really short-staffed and like they are just reading the directions on the test kit and they don't really know any more than i do about fish. i do like that armchair petstore though, the owner is very funny!
bab23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 08:34 PM   #3
Georgiadawgger
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

Hey Bab. I'm not in Auburn anymore (yea!!!), but I did manage to stop by the petco when tiger town opened up. Stay away!! You could probably take their test kit and do your own since they have no clue what they're doing. Also another piece of advice...stay away from Tropicaquarium...those ladies are mean and have no clue what they're doing there.

Jawad and Robin know a lot about fish. Robin may seem like a know-it-all, but he really does know his stuff. Jawad just set up his main planted tank (the one in the front with all the rainbowfish) in January and I've seen it go from good-to bad-to good.

Tigerpets also has great deals sometimes. I got a bunch of true rummynose tetras there for $1.99 each...and I consider that cheap since I can't find them anywhere in Atlanta. If you want some, tell her that a "friend" got them there for 1.99 each and if she could order some for you!
Old 03-22-2005, 09:22 AM   #4
TrickyD119
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiadawgger
Hey Bab. I'm not in Auburn anymore (yea!!!), but I did manage to stop by the petco when tiger town opened up. Stay away!! You could probably take their test kit and do your own since they have no clue what they're doing. Also another piece of advice...stay away from Tropicaquarium...those ladies are mean and have no clue what they're doing there.
Tropaquarium is where I get a good deal of my fish and plants now. The Grandmother recently died and her son and grandson (who handled the Tropaquarium maintenance side of things before) now run the place.

Aside from their fondness of pushing chemical additives, the Dad really knows his stuff and will pick you up any type of fish you can think of basically when he makes his runs to SunPet Warehosue in Atlanta.

Quote:
Jawad and Robin know a lot about fish. Robin may seem like a know-it-all, but he really does know his stuff. Jawad just set up his main planted tank (the one in the front with all the rainbowfish) in January and I've seen it go from good-to bad-to good.
Jawad's planted tank is what inspired me to go with pressurized CO2 as the tank looks awesome nowadays. Robin does definitely have a standoffish attitude, but if you can get past that he always gives good advice. They are the only store Iíve ever been able to get healthy, sexable German Blue Rams at.
TrickyD119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 06:01 PM   #5
woodymdt
Algae Grower

Send a message via MSN to woodymdt Send a message via Yahoo to woodymdt

Tricky??

One question. Does the word Utopia mean anything to you??
woodymdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 06:12 AM   #6
Dolfan
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

I'm new to this forum and also live near Auburn. Petco prices are a rip-off. They charge almost double of what their own website charges. They just know that there isn't much comptetion so they can charge whatever they want. Armchair Safari is pretty good, they special ordered me a tank and stand for turtles. Decent prices as well. Only thing they don't carry anachris for my turtles. I haven't been able to find it anywhere locally. I found some on vacation a few weeks ago at a pond specialty store. It's real easy to grow, helps clean the water a bunch, and my turtles love it. I'm hoping with my "farm" tank that I can grow enough to not have to buy any more, I'll just keep growing. Also another thing I like to stock my tank with is feeder ghost shrimp. Every now and again walmart has some, usually close to death. The only other place is in Phenix City about 45 mins away. My turtles love them and they last awhile and help clean tank.
Dolfan is offline   Reply With Quote