55g Tank (Updated 8/05/13)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 07-11-2011, 11:08 PM   #1
lamiskool
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

55g Tank (Updated 8/05/13)

Hi I am pretty new to this forum and have found it to be every every helpful. I started keeping fish since I was a kid and had two huge ponds in my backyard that I grew very large koi fish in. A few months ago i found a complete 10g tank that someone threw out so I took it and started to keep fish in it and loved it so much I went out and found a 55g tank so I could house more fish which I love. Still have to cycle the tank and all but here is the list of what I have for the tank, and intend on getting and could use some advice on anything which you guys would think be helpful/make a better/more beautiful tank. I intend to have live plants in it so advice on how to make my plants grow better is always appreciated. I know with the lighting I am getting I will probably have to also get a co2 injector but have NO experience with this...I will take pictures/post them hopefully next wednesday, on vacation till then =)

-Standard 55gallon tank
-
48" 260W PL Aquarium Light Reef Marine Fish Tank Hood Light 48" 260W PL Aquarium Light Reef Marine Fish Tank Hood Light
-Eco Complete Planted Black Aquarium Substrate
-Aqueon Submersible Aquarium Heaters 150watts
-Rena XP3 Canister Filter which I got off of craigslist
-Large piece of manzanita driftwood
-Just got myself a paintball co2 system which seems to be working fine

Fishes
1xRainbow Shark
7xTiger Barbs
6xRoseline Barbs
1xCommon Pleco

-i will update with pics of tank and as I slowly start to build it

ok so here are a few pics of the tank so far, will update it regularly as i add more parts/plants/fish =)

-Here are a few vids of my tank and my fish
-
-
g

Last edited by lamiskool; 08-05-2013 at 03:50 PM.. Reason: updated
lamiskool is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2011, 02:41 AM   #2
Chaos_Being
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Nice feeding video. I have thought about putting those two fish together in an all barb tank sometime in the future...they look good together
Chaos_Being is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:26 AM   #3
lamiskool
Wannabe Guru

thanks, i really appreciate it, this is more or less my first tank and is my first planted tank so trying my best. ill post a video and or pics of my new plants in a few days when i have time
Old 07-12-2011, 06:41 AM   #4
plecostomouse
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

nice tank man!
great fish.
you should put some crypts in there!
good luck.
plecostomouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:11 PM   #5
lamiskool
Wannabe Guru

thankyou! i think i actually do have some crypts in there now, planning on putting some blyxa hairgrass and stargrass in the tank. ill post pics when i can
Old 07-13-2011, 02:27 AM   #6
lamiskool
Wannabe Guru

heres an update with pics of a few new plants, still waiting on the blyxa and stargrass. enjoy and please leave any suggestions

Old 01-04-2013, 10:52 PM   #7
lamiskool
Wannabe Guru

Default 1/4/13 update!

Well I have not updated my tank in a LONG time haha kind of got to busy with college and life. I recently just graduated and moved so in the process had to move my fish tank. While doing so I decided to redo a few things. Since the last time I posted I became a little bit better at keeping fish and live plants thankfully haha. Anyways I got rid of my tiger barbs because I just thought they were a bit too aggressive. I also got ride of my commen pleco and replaced him with two Otos instead. New additions to the tank are the Vietnamese White Clouds (~45-50 of them), Odessa Barbs (7), Otocinclus (2), and some Amano shrimps. My Denison Barbs (7) are very large now. I started out with 5 and one of them jumped out of the tank and I decided to have a school of 7 when I went to get more. I have also since then made my on mesh cover so that it wont happen again. Also my Rainbow shark is now Huge and very fat....lol he mostly just stays in his cave all day, before I moved he didnt have a cave and swam around the tank and kind of bullied everyone around now and then but since I moved I dug out some room under the log on the right side of the tank where the Amano used to hide and now that he fits in there he has taken it as his home

In addition to the change in fish I also changed out a lot of the plants I had. I am hoping that the small plants in the front will start to carpet the front of the tank. The plants in the back I am hoping will grow taller and "thicker" and cover the back. Once more grows ill start to redistribute the stalk and cover the back of the tank hopefully. Any suggestions on how best to do this would be of use.

Now for the tank parameters. Its a 55 gallon tank that I keep at 72 degrees. The lighting on the tank is two 65Watt 6500K Fluorescent lights. It also is dosed with CO2. Before I moved I rarely dosed with CO2 and fertilized the water but now I just recently orderd some root tabs, micro, and macro nutrients that I well hopefully figure out how to dose... The the water parameters which I used easy strip 6-1 to test (which I dont know how accurate they really are but I am currently to broke to get a better testing kit for now) are: Total Harness of 75-100 (the fish dont seem to mind this and have grown very healthy but since I moved and have access to a RO/DI filter I might play around with mixing it with tap water to make "softer water" for my fish, is this advisable or should I just leave it as is?), a KH of about 50-70 i believe (is this ok?) and ph of about 7.0. Nitrate and Nitrite levels are fine so I wont list it. From the fish I have listed I have are the water parameters ok? Also again any help or tips on how to make the front plants carpet and the back ones grow taller and thicker would be great! Also I have pics of the plants if you guys dont mind telling me that they are that would be great....I kind of forgot what they were all called...silly me. Oh and ignore the algea in the back i can clean it but i like to leave it for the oto, amano shrimps and rainbow shark to munch on every now and then lol

what plant is this?

again waht pant is this?

these are the plants in the front which I hope to carpet the front with, what are they are will it be possible?

http://s160.beta.photobucket.com/use...a603a.jpg.html

no idea what this is...

are these water sprites?

here are the vietnamese white clouds, they are still fairly small and I hope the get a little bit bigger and less timid to go down further in the tank...

heres the awesome rainbow shark...if I had taken a side shot of him you would have seen how fat he is haha but hes a bit shy so was hard to take a good pic

heres a pic of the odessa barbs, they are really fast so they were also kind of hard to take a pic of

and heres a full pic of the tank as is, you can see the denison barbs happily swimming in the current
Old 03-23-2013, 11:34 PM   #8
lamiskool
Wannabe Guru

Finally got tired of how bad this tank looked and decided to finally try and fix it. Still a work in progress but heres its transformation so far! I still need to move the C.Balansae to the far left corner. I plan on adding some Amazon Swords in its place I hope, or is there any better suggestions?

FTS

Left Side

Right Side

Last edited by lamiskool; 03-24-2013 at 05:50 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 04-01-2013, 10:24 PM   #9
lamiskool
Wannabe Guru

another quick update! finally started playing around with camera settings lol

Old 04-28-2013, 02:44 AM   #10
lamiskool
Wannabe Guru

just another update, everything growing like crazy!

Old 04-28-2013, 04:35 AM   #11
Sparkyboy

Nice looking tank. Everything seems to be growing great!
Sparkyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:56 PM   #12
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

Great job, looks like everyone is happy in there!

MIAPG - Come join us - Plantedtank - MI - Greatlakesaquaria
GMYukonon24s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:00 PM   #13
Pablom
Algae Grower

Wow, amazing tank!
Old 06-12-2013, 05:22 AM   #14
lamiskool
Wannabe Guru

Quick update, I just moved so I decided to try out a dirted tank. At first it was extremely brown but after putting in I beilieve 100 micron pool filter into my canister filter, it has slowly started to get clearer!

ps. crappy iphone photo

Before

After
Old 06-17-2013, 02:13 AM   #15
lamiskool
Wannabe Guru

Water has finally completely cleared up and im happy/sad to say all the the fish have survived so far and I think there wont be any fish deaths after a huge move and addition of MTS but I did find a few dead Amano shrimps while doing a water change....I still have a lot of Amanos who made it so Im not too worried and the others ones are acting fine these past few days. Hopefully once everything starts to grow back out the tank will look a bit nicer.

ps. For some reason the Downoi took a big hit after the move which makes me really sad because they are my fav to look at but they seem to be recovering I think...