Local Stores on North Shore
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Massachusetts

Old 03-20-2011, 11:47 PM   #1
neophytes
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Local Stores on North Shore

I am coming back to aquariums after 45 years, and of course the great old Greek guy in the overcrowded, dingy, glorious little fish store down behind Woolworths is long gone. I've been searching around the internet, and I keep coming up with 5 stores (Skiptons, Uncle Ned, Tropic Isle, Lovely Pets and All Things Fishy). None of these are very convenient for a quick trip from Lynn.

Where do all you North Shore people shop?
neophytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2011, 04:35 AM   #2
mickmac247
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)

There is one on the Lynway and they have at least one other in Suagus with another opening soon at libertry mall northshore area
Old 03-22-2011, 05:43 AM   #3
shortsboy
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)

Really? Where / what are they called?

I'm in Melrose and anything close would be a pleasant find. I've been going to Tropic Isle for all my plants and livestock (save for shrimp which are preposterously overpriced), and have been very satisfied with what I've picked up - just got 9 cory punctatus who are as healthy and playful as I've ever seen corys. Plus, there's one of the main workers who recognizes me now and sneaks me plants from the display tank whenever I ask, so love the full-grown stalks I've picked up.
shortsboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:28 PM   #4
SBPyro
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (31/100%)

I'm also in Melrose
The place in lynn is call pet express.
I'm gonna stop by their danvers store tonight and let you know.
There is Boston Pets in peabody. They have a limited fish and no plants.
If you are looking for shrimp talk to leo1234 here he is in lynn and I picked up some nice yellow shrimp from him.
SBPyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 03:15 AM   #5
shortsboy
Planted Member

Ah, so he's the one posting on craigslist. Figured it'd be someone in the community somehow.

I had one batch of RCS shipped in from Epicfish, who are now happily living in my 30g medium tech, but just got the go-ahead tonight from my wife to convert an adopted 10g clown-puke tetra tank into a shrimper, so we'll see what I end up with when the tank stabilizes.

BTW, Tropic Isle just got in a bunch of really nice stems. Still short on crypts and anubias, but the plant row was as good as I've seen when I was down on Saturday.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:52 PM   #6
SBPyro
Planted Tank Obsessed

So went to pet express in Danvers last night. It is all puppies. I've heard that their Lynn store ain't that good but haven't been there myself. I know Leo doing a shrimp room so hopefully he'll have some culls soon.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:08 AM   #7
shortsboy
Planted Member

I work in Salem NH, and was laughing today when I saw a new independent fish store going in on Rt 28 just north of the Mass border... mostly because it advertises itself as all-reef... another bloody reef store in the area (Aqua Addicts is literally 1 mile from there), and I can't find any good fw places.

Thanks for scouting the Pet Express. That saves me a trip to Lynn (which I've found is always a good thing).
Old 03-26-2011, 12:00 PM   #8
leo1234
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)

Yeah pet express in danvers is all puppies the one on the lynnway doesn't have anything much to choose from. Maybe just supplies, no plants, and the fishes could be better. You are better of in the swap and shop here. Tropic aile does have a nice selection of plants. But it just to far of a drive from lynn to pick up a couple of things.
leo1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 02:25 PM   #9
shortsboy
Planted Member

Yeah, I don't get over there often. My sister-in-law's out by Worcester, so my wife will suggest a trip to Tropic Isle to sweeten the deal for me. Otherwise I've been doing really well in the S&S too.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:00 PM   #10
Neya
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Since PJ pets left.... Sigh.

Im in Worcester now, and out in Melrose a good deal of the time also. Both areas from what I can tell are pretty barren for FW (save for tropic isle, I don't purchase shrimp from them either).
Neya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:31 PM   #11
psalm18.2
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

There's a place in Quincy. I'm lucky living on the border of NH. We have several. Salem, NH has Petsmart. I always buy my fish from Zoo Creatures in Plaistow, NH. A bit of a way from Lynn, sorry.
Old 04-16-2011, 04:00 AM   #12
mickmac247
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)

Ya I miss PJs also always got a good deal. Will check out Zoo Creatures sometime for a road trip.. Do people still go to Petsmart??? ok ok j/k but havent bought much maybe some flake food from their. Been years since I bought anything from Petco or Petsmart that leaves ina bag with water in it.lol Tanks are healthier and less stress on me. TY for he Zoo heads up.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:30 PM   #13
SBPyro
Planted Tank Obsessed

I stopped by Boston Pets in Peabody the other day and they really started to improve their freshwater stuff. I saw bamboo, amano, & crs there. Talking with the owner and he was open to ordering stuff on Mondays.