Low Tech 75G Using 3x54 t5ho
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 06-24-2011, 01:04 AM   #1
jrl2112
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Low Tech 75G Using 3x54 t5ho

I am researching everything before putting my 75G low tech together. The lighting seems to be the hardest part. If I get low enough lighting I will have a small light strip that I don't think will have enough spread unless I buy two light strips. My question is could I buy the Catalina 3x54 with two switches? I could run the 54watt in the middle for one period and run the two outside lights for 108watts together during a much shorter period. This would not be suspended. My thinking is it would allow me to get the spread I need but not have to much light over all. Would that work or is it to much light no matter how I look at it? Its an idea that I was thinking may keep me from having to upgrade if were to start using co2. The other option for about the same price is a pair of 2x28 T5no coralifes. I am not sure of the quality and if I started using co2 I may have to buy something else. I think I get more and better for the money as well as not having to possibly upgrade getting the Catalina. At the same time I do not want to get the wrong thing and have massive algae problems. What ever input I get will be appreciated.
jrl2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2011, 03:46 AM   #2
The Dude
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)

I have that fixture over my 75g. I use the 2 54w lights for about 8-10 hours and the 54w for an hour before bed. I have pressurized C02 and algae, but my snails, ottos, and soone Amanos should take care of that. Mine is mounted with the legs. Your photoperiod with the 2 bulbs probably should be more than a couple hours, but it's a quality fixture at a great price with room to upgrade.
The Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 03:49 AM   #3
MartyD
Algae Grower

PTrader: (9/100%)

It's a nice fixture. I run it with two bulbs on my 55g and it works great.
MartyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 07:39 AM   #4
jrl2112
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

MartyD do you use co2 injection? If this works I was thinking about getting 2 67k lights and 1 10k with the assembly or should I get all 67k?
jrl2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 02:39 PM   #5
Jim Miller
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

The Catalina has very good reflectors and as a result you will be pumping a lot of energy into an 18" high water column even with just two T5HO.

It will be a challenge without CO2.

Consider replacing the HO bulbs with NO ones which will work fine in the Catalina fixture.

I run 2 T5NO most of the time on my 90g which is 24" high. The light is 24" above the substrate.

Jim
Old 06-25-2011, 04:08 PM   #6
wkndracer
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)

Used a single T5HO 65k bulb with a good reflector over a 55g (same depth as 75g) within an inch of the top for a few months on a non injected tank. Didn't see the colors I should out of the plants so I changed things up. Algae was not an issue at all.

I changed fixtures to add spectrum with dual bulbs and now I'm raising the light trying to find the sweet spot without putting the gas to it. With 2xT5HO close to the tank GDA was an issue. Currently 5" off the tank w/10K and a flora pink bulb in the fixture. Only had it up for a week so to soon to tell if I'll raise it again.
2-75g planted, 5-55g planted, 5-20g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 8-10g, Refugium, doghouse/newbie
2012 update adding table top pleco pans & a 90g (Nutz)
wkndracer is offline   Reply With Quote