g33tar's 12g Mr.Aqua -First planted tank - March 5th update - Page 5
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 11-04-2010, 08:19 PM   #61
Spachi
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Is it safe to say this is high light? I've got the same tank and am making a canopy using the same lights. I was planning on raising the canopy and pushing the lights closer together, about 20 inches above tank. I was hoping this would give me low to medium lighting. I have no interest in CO2 for this shrimp tank.
Spachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2010, 10:13 PM   #62
VadimShevchuk
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via AIM to VadimShevchuk Send a message via Skype™ to VadimShevchuk

You blyxa is looking very nice and healthy. How much did your co2 cost all together? I'm hoping to set up a 35"L 6"W 8'H by a window using only sun for lighting. I can also see that you have your tank next to a window. Is the amount of sun coming into the tank even sufficient?
VadimShevchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 01:00 AM   #63
g33tar
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Im not quite sure as to how this falls on a scale of low - high light rating, but id say its probably medium where its at right now. If you follow the watt per gallon rule on this tank its extremely high light, but I think that rule goes out the window on tanks of this aspect ratio. The lights are reasonably bright, but ive got them up high enough that it doesnt cause too many algae problems.

As for the window, i doubt it provides any amount of light that anything can grow from...its an eastern facing window so I like the fact that it gives the fish a gradual light increase in the morning until the lights turn on. By the time its 12ish or so, theres not too much light coming in. If it were a southern facing window with not as many trees outside of it...that may be a different story.

The co2 system cost me about 40 dollars. Somewhere around there. Probably the best 40 dollars Ive spent on this hobby so far. Props to Jaggedfury and his thread explaining how to set it up. Will forever be in debt to him. Ive had it up and running probably over a month now and the pressure hasn't dipped yet.
Old 03-06-2011, 03:27 AM   #64
g33tar
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Figured I'd do a quick update today of a few photos since I removed my rocks and re-cleaned them. I took all my Blyxa out a few weeks ago, replanted these, and sold the rest. The tank is generally algae free, except my rocks keep growing this green crap on them. I feel like I never see anyone elses rocks with this stuff all over it... Maybe its since I found these rocks in a river? Who knows. Im on the lookout for new rocks that dont grow crap on them every 4 months.

I threw one of the new GLA 45mm diffusers in there this week to compliment my Jaggedfury setup. So far its awesome. Annnd, I purchased a couple of my current dream fish - Celestial pearl danios....thats about as spendy as I think I can bring myself to get with fish. Heres a couple pictures I took over the course of today. Take care guys!

-Alex

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KYQDDBjX5s

Old 03-06-2011, 03:29 AM   #65
Jaggedfury
Twin Turbo Lexus SC300

PTrader: (135/100%)

Looking awesome. The tremendous growth of the plants are very noticeable.

Trim the blyxa plant and sell it, make your money back from the setup paintball co2 you purchased from me and the mind of having the paintball co2 setup paid for already is just an even better feeling!

Jaggedfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 11:54 PM   #66
g33tar
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Heres something I've been meaning to try for a while and I figured I'd give it a try and share it up on here. Its a stereoscopic photograph so if you look at it with your eyes crossed (like you would one of those magic eye pictures) the middle image that appears will look 3D.

Too bad I dont have one of those cool cameras that takes two simultaneous side-by-side photos to get exact time 3D...the fish would have been in the same place. Goodluck!

Old 03-07-2011, 12:43 AM   #67
wpgtank
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

You've done a great job with a fantastically proportioned tank. I thing the HOB at one end makes great sense. It compliments the visual movement with the rocks and makes the tank very stream like.
wpgtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:26 PM   #68
g33tar
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgtank View Post
You've done a great job with a fantastically proportioned tank. I thing the HOB at one end makes great sense. It compliments the visual movement with the rocks and makes the tank very stream like.
Thanks pal! I'd say the HOB filter also compliments my empty pockets as well.

Replacing that damn Aquaclear is going to be my next purchase. I try to pretend its not there when I look at my tank.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:40 AM   #69
yikesjason
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (71/100%)

I can't get my eyes to cross enough to make the 3d work.
But it is a great looking tank. I was planning on doing the same tank, but I changed my mind to make it my first saltwater tank.
yikesjason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:22 PM   #70
meowfish
Algae Grower

Whoa, cool stereoscopic photo! That's pretty sweet!
meowfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:31 PM   #71
JamesHockey
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yikesjason View Post
I can't get my eyes to cross enough to make the 3d work.
its ok jason,it looks blurry to me when i do it but it works

you just fail XD jk
SunSun Pimp #44- HW-302,
Eheim Pimp #457-2232,2213

My Nanos'
My Tanks Greater Than 10 Gallon

currently looking for a co2 system,i have plants,shrimp and live food cultures to trade
JamesHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 06:33 PM   #72
g33tar
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yea it takes a while to figure out how to focus the center image. Once you get the hang of it, it comes pretty quick.
Old 03-27-2011, 03:26 AM   #73
swoof
Planted Tank Obsessed

Tank looks awesome, love the stereoscopic pic. Man getting that center image hurts the head but looks soo good.
swoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 05:54 PM   #74
btimmer92
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (67/99%)

The stereo pic works! you have to get kinda far away to cross you eyes enough. Did you take the pictures about 3 inches apart from each other to simulate the difference each eye would see? If not try that, and it would look even cooler.

btimmer92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:17 AM   #75
phorty
Algae Grower

Love this tank! I'd like a 48" long version of it with perhaps a little more depth....
phorty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12 gallon, blyxa japonica, mr. aqua