Really low light!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 06-18-2011, 02:08 AM   #1
jdm68
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Really low light!

So I've got a 45g standard tank(about 36x24x12) and only the standard hood with a 20w(maybe HO) bulb in it. I threw 4 Amazon Swords in pots, filled with org. potting soil and topped with play sand, into the tank a couple weeks ago, and they are actually growing and looking alright. No CO2, but the light runs 12-14 hours a day, looking to cut that back though.
When I do get a new light, probably a shop light with good bulbs, and maybe overdriven, what should I be looking to get as far as wattage? 36" lights are more expensive and harder to come by, but I don't really want a 48" hanging over the ends of the tank...
jdm68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2011, 02:35 AM   #2
BBradbury
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Low Light

Hello jdm...

Your swords will survive and even grow a little in the lower light and good substrate. The potting soil will provide the nutrients for the plants for several weeks, if not months, so there's no need for CO2 in my opinion.

If plants, in general, are going to do well long term, you'll need to provide at least one watt of light per gallon. Swords however, will need close to 3 wpg. Lighting in this range is good for the plants and good for algae growth.

Tropical plants are used to long hours of daylight, so putting your light on a timer makes good sense. I have mine set to 12 hours on and 12 off. More light than that will result in growth problems for the plants. If you have fish, long periods of light can affect their reproduction cycle.

These are some things to consider before you purchase your new light.

B
BBradbury is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
ho lights, light hood, lights, low light, low wattage