My Review: SunSun "Outside Filter" HW-302 - Page 30
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 05-31-2011, 04:46 AM   #436
pupdawg
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gh0ul View Post
Yes! Finally I found out what the cannister I just bought off Ebay was. SunSun. and from what Im hearing.. Its one Helluva deal. I paid $50.38 total for this filter! That's it... You cant even DIY for that price, Hell just the pump will cost you more. Nothing gets to me more than Hobby Snobs. People that think because they have all ADA products or they spent more $ on theirs than yours they are better... Give ME A BREAK!!!

I saw a pair of curved SS Scissors on ADA for $120 last week... That is almost the stupidest thing ive ever seen..... I've been using the same pair of $8 scissors for 5 years now. Never sharpened them.... Does that mean the ADA's are better... Hell no! It's just a name you are paying for people!.
First of all, did you ever trim with ADA scissors?

I can feel the difference between ADA brand scissors and the "more affordable" Do-Aqua line (same company might I add, both ADA). If you ask me... the ADA scissors ARE BETTER than the Do-Aqua's.

If the Do-Aqua's felt the same then I would've bought those instead. Just buy what you can afford and you pay what you're willing to pay.

Quote:
Does that mean the ADA's are better... Hell no! It's just a name you are paying for people!.
Again, it's not always about the price. I payed like $80 for my ADA curved scissors because:

1) it's what my LFS has in stock and selling so I strive to support them as much as I can afford to. Without them, I wouldn't even have an aquarium.
2) $80??? I spend more on gas per week than that.
3) My hands were tired of getting raw from the curved $5 scissors. (you got ripped off gettin it for $8)
4) I figure if I don't want the scissors I can easily dump it for $30-$40... then I can spend it on gas for half a week.
5) Last but NOT least.... the nice ADA logo.

Last edited by Gatekeeper; 06-01-2011 at 11:43 AM.. Reason: Be nice
pupdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2011, 06:33 PM   #437
Justindew
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/61%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith View Post
And nothing gets me more than a hypocritical hobbiest doing the same thing except about how cheaply they got off filtering their tank for. But the difference between you and them (I) is that you have a sub standard piece of equipment holding 100g of water back and we (I) don't.

Who would you put your money on? I'll bet I can guess. Good luck you'll find out sooner than later why spending extra ALWAYS pays off in this hobby. Can't really compare a cheap pair of scissors rusting/breaking while trimming to an inch of standing water on your Oak floors.
Hey there no need to get all nasty with the guy. I have yet to find anyone who has had any kind of catastrophic failure with this line of Sunsun filters so your comments seem unwarranted. He was just excited about getting a great filter for cheap. He is right though there are way to many out there who think that more $$$ buys you a better filter.

I have personally owned over the years Fluval, Eheim, Marineland, and now Sunsun filters. Have to say the best of the three for me is the Sunsun hands down. It is not just the value either. It is just more durable then the eheim filters I have owned. I have had several of my eheim lids crack on me either at the inlet or outlet connection or where the clamps are on the sides. I have not had a single issue like this with my Sunsun filter. The only argument one could possibly make in my opinion for the Eheim over my Sunsun is the durability of the motor which only time will tell if that is even the case and with the cost of replacements being so low I guarantee my sunsun will last longer for the money because I can go through 3-6 comparable flow filters to every one of yours.

Now the one exception in my mind is the very upper end filters by Eheim and Fluval with computer hook ups and adjustable flow down to 1 gallon increments. Those filters are in a completely different category, but that being said most of us are not interested in spending the money on the bells and whistles we just want functionality.

As for the scissors I have not used either one but I can imagine that a nice pair of stainless steel scissors that will not rust should not cost upwards of a $100. There are members on here who sell nice ones for half that and they are just as high quality. I mean my wife is a Dentist and her stainless surgical tools don't cost that. ADA does not have some kind of special metal I can tell you that much.
Justindew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:47 PM   #438
bsmith
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)

I dont like hypocrites. Point blank.
bsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:17 PM   #439
Jeff5614
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)

I think I'll contribute a post to help this thread continue farther off topic. IMO, when someone, especially someone new, shows up and starts bashing equipment, methods or whatever that a lot of people use and like it can be a bit irritating. It also seems to me you'll find more negative comments towards higher end products than you will toward less expensive products and it seems the majority of these comments are made by those with no actual experience with those products. If someone buys a $1000 Superjet ES filter then I think that's great and I want to see pics and read a review. If someone buys a $60 filter because it was a great deal I also want pics and a review but don't start bashing the $1000 filter because it was expensive when your only experience with it is gasping at the price. Different things determine the value to different people. For some aesthetics are worth a premium, to others functionality, for some reputation and to others the level of support you have after a purchase is valuable. Most times you get what you pay for when you take those things into consideration.
Jeff5614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:07 PM   #440
Zac
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Yes! Finally I found out what the cannister I just bought off Ebay was. SunSun. and from what Im hearing.. Its one Helluva deal. I paid $50.38 total for this filter! That's it... You cant even DIY for that price, Hell just the pump will cost you more. Nothing gets to me more than Hobby Snobs. People that think because they have all ADA products or they spent more $ on theirs than yours they are better... Give ME A BREAK!!!

I saw a pair of curved SS Scissors on ADA for $120 last week... That is almost the stupidest thing ive ever seen..... I've been using the same pair of $8 scissors for 5 years now. Never sharpened them.... Does that mean the ADA's are better... Hell no! It's just a name you are paying for people!.

You are a fool with no knowledge of how business typically works. You are not simply paying for a name. Most companies mark up their costs based on percentages of what their manufacturer charges them. Now, while I do feel ADA prices are pricey, their quality control and material are top notch. Their equipment is not mass produced like many products out of China. I could go on about all these added costs.

Sun Sun is mass produced on a large scale which is great for our wallets. Go look for that same filter, tons of other companies carry that exact unit under a different name. I am not saying quality is comprised but that is the reason you are seeing more friendly prices compared to a product that is cut via CNC.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:30 PM   #441
mott
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

Try and get parts for the knockoffs, that's all I will add at the moment.

EHEIM Pimp Club Member #250 2217,2026,2236
mott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:33 PM   #442
Justindew
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff5614 View Post
I think I'll contribute a post to help this thread continue farther off topic. IMO, when someone, especially someone new, shows up and starts bashing equipment, methods or whatever that a lot of people use and like it can be a bit irritating. It also seems to me you'll find more negative comments towards higher end products than you will toward less expensive products and it seems the majority of these comments are made by those with no actual experience with those products. If someone buys a $1000 Superjet ES filter then I think that's great and I want to see pics and read a review. If someone buys a $60 filter because it was a great deal I also want pics and a review but don't start bashing the $1000 filter because it was expensive when your only experience with it is gasping at the price. Different things determine the value to different people. For some aesthetics are worth a premium, to others functionality, for some reputation and to others the level of support you have after a purchase is valuable. Most times you get what you pay for when you take those things into consideration.
You make some valid points that I wasn't thinking about one of which is customer service that is a biggie for some. For others such as myself I could really care less with something such as a filter. As far as looks go do any of us really have our filters on display? Also I don't want to come off as someone who was hating on eheim filters I think all filters have there advantages and disadvantages. However I don't think anyone should be made to believe that if they buy the cheaper filter (that in my opinion functions better) that they are going to have a catastrophic failure. When there is proof that is not the case as so many of us are happy with our Sunsun filters.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:35 PM   #443
Justindew
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mott View Post
Try and get parts for the knockoffs, that's all I will add at the moment.
You can get all the parts you need from the other major suppliers who rebrand the sunsun filters. Now on that note go and try to find a reasonable replacement part of any kind for less then the cost of an entire sunsun filter for an eheim. Thats all I will add at the moment.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:44 PM   #444
Justindew
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zac View Post
You are a fool with no knowledge of how business typically works. You are not simply paying for a name. Most companies mark up their costs based on percentages of what their manufacturer charges them. Now, while I do feel ADA prices are pricey, their quality control and material are top notch. Their equipment is not mass produced like many products out of China. I could go on about all these added costs.

Sun Sun is mass produced on a large scale which is great for our wallets. Go look for that same filter, tons of other companies carry that exact unit under a different name. I am not saying quality is comprised but that is the reason you are seeing more friendly prices compared to a product that is cut via CNC.
ADA tanks are top notch and I believe they are superior to most other tanks however when it comes to the tools they sell which he is referring to they are severely overpriced.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:49 PM   #445
mott
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justindew View Post
You can get all the parts you need from the other major suppliers who rebrand the sunsun filters. Now on that note go and try to find a reasonable replacement part of any kind for less then the cost of an entire sunsun filter for an eheim. Thats all I will add at the moment.
Which ones? my bud has a 302 that needs an impeller, care to share some insight???

EHEIM Pimp Club Member #250 2217,2026,2236
mott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:55 PM   #446
Crispino L Ramos
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (456/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zac View Post

Compared to Eheim, SunSun is inferior in durability, craftmanship and ease of use. The SunSun baskets don't fit well inside the canister, get stucked and hard to remove, basket handles come off, and the plastic gets brittle and breaks. The SunSun intake and output tubes aren't durable either, they easily crack when changing the tubing.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:58 PM   #447
Justindew
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mott View Post
Which ones? my bud has a 302 that needs an impeller, care to share some insight???
marineland c-series impellers are a perfect replacement
Old 06-01-2011, 09:05 PM   #448
Justindew
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispino Ramos View Post
Compared to Eheim, SunSun is inferior in durability, craftmanship and ease of use. The SunSun baskets don't fit well inside the canister, get stucked and hard to remove, basket handles come off, and the plastic gets brittle and breaks. The SunSun intake and output tubes aren't durable either, they easily crack when changing the tubing.
I would have to agree that the baskets are a bit to tight nothing a little vaseline doesn't fix. Also haven't had a handle break off on me however I could see it happening if you don't use vaseline and the intake and output tubes are not the greatest. However the lid and the intake and outlet on the top of the actual filter is far more durable then the 3 eheim filters I have owned. I would take a hard to work with basket over an actual leak any day of the week. Just my two cents though.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:17 PM   #449
Jeff5614
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justindew View Post
I would have to agree that the baskets are a bit to tight nothing a little vaseline doesn't fix. Also haven't had a handle break off on me however I could see it happening if you don't use vaseline and the intake and output tubes are not the greatest. However the lid and the intake and outlet on the top of the actual filter is far more durable then the 3 eheim filters I have owned. I would take a hard to work with basket over an actual leak any day of the week. Just my two cents though.
Hey, it looks like you're taking it on the chin for "Ghoul" who stirred up all the crap with his remarks about ADA products. Maybe you need to get him back so he can fight his own battles .
Jeff5614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:04 PM   #450
Justindew
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff5614 View Post
Hey, it looks like you're taking it on the chin for "Ghoul" who stirred up all the crap with his remarks about ADA products. Maybe you need to get him back so he can fight his own battles .
There is no battle to fight I wasn't starting anything with anyone just stating my opinion from my experience. I know that some who are new to keeping fish tanks or new to keeping plants like I am. Might want to find a good filter at a good price and feel like they are forced to purchase the expensive stuff to get something that works. When that is simply not the case. For someone to say your tank is going to siphon out onto the floor in your house or " I wouldn't bet my hardwood floors on it" they are obviously misinformed. As for the ADA products it is only my opinion they are overpriced im sure if they were priced twice as high as they are now there are people who would still buy.