9 Gallon African Biotype - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 11-07-2009, 08:22 PM   #16
macclellan
H+

PTrader: (208/100%)

A pair of kribs and school o' fish is an awful lot o' fish for a 9g tank (which is probably 7g water).
macclellan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2009, 08:47 PM   #17
Payara
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)

Yeah, you are right macclellan. The kribs are temporary they will be moved in a few months to my parents' 75 gallon tank. That's another reason why I am doing multiple and rather large water changes throughout the week. So far, they seem happy and adjusting well to my tank. I have also noticed courting behaviors from the female. Hopefully I'll have some F1 before I give them to my parents
Payara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 06:42 AM   #18
Payara
Algae Grower

Default Update:

My slender kribs have dramatically changed colors, especially the female. Her belly is now a bright cherry-red surrounded by a metallic blue-green cast. Her face also has this blue/green cast as well. Both the male and female are very territorial of the overhang created by the driftwood and lava rock. I also saw the female courting the male a few days ago! She curled her body into an S-shape and was shaking herself directly in his path. I am still doing large water changes (>50%) almost 3 times a week. I am feeding them multiple times a day, 5 days a week, hoping that will breed. Their main diet consists of: Color Supreme, frozen blood worms, and flakes. I have tried krill and squid but they don't seem to like it. Does anyone have any recomendations on my tank setup or breeding Pelvicachromis taeniatus?

I also got some plants coming in this week from 3 members. I am getting some African Fern from BruceWatts and bryony. Lnb has also sent me a beautiful Red Tiger Lotus. Can't wait till I get all of them. I'll be posting some pics very soon.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:46 PM   #19
Payara
Algae Grower

I just want to thank BruceWatts, bryony, and Lnb for the plants they gave me! They look great in the tank, thanks a lot!!!

UPDATE:
I have played with different positions for my plants and finally am happy with the overall look (I promise I'll take some pics this week with my friend's camera). I haven't had any major algae issues so far but I have noticed some brown algae on few Anubias barteri leaves. Any recommendation on combating this? I have reduced the photoperiod from eight hours to six hours and turned off one of the bulbs so I have a total of 16W on the tank so far. I will be adding a DIY CO2 very soon. I am still sticking to the WC schedule and recently I tested my water 2 days after a water change to see how bad the water actually gets after all the heavy feeding I do and with all the fish I have. I used API Freshwater Master Test kit and got the following readings

pH: 6.4
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0

I was really surprised, I thought the nitrite and nitrate would be a little bit higher. All the fish are eating like champs. I try to feed them several times throughout the day 5 days a week. Also after taking to several people, I have decided against getting the Norman's lampeyes. Instead I will be getting 3 Otos to help clear up the brown algae.

It's amazing how the fish have transformed their colors are intense and they have also become more territorial of the hang out. Past 2 weeks after each WC the female initiates courting behavior. She curls her body and shakes herself directly in the male's path. The male responded by "flexing" his fins and opening his mouth, I always thought such a pose was a threat display. I noticed the male chasing her several times after their displays without any harm. I also noticed that the female is excavating a lot, throughout the day, she brings gravel from somewhere and dumps it in the front of the tank.

Past few days they are rarely out and always in their cave, with the female being a bit bolder and traveling outside when she see me, otherwise, they only come out during feeding time. The males attitude has changed dramatically from the first week I had him, he is more territorial and chases the cories around during feeding time and when they approach his cave.

I added 4 trumpet snails and will be adding 3 otos. Pictures will be coming very soon, I am still waiting for my buddy to drop off his camera at my place.

-George
Old 11-28-2009, 03:44 AM   #20
Payara
Algae Grower

PICTURES:

FTS:

Fish:

Comments are more than welcomed.

-George
Old 11-28-2009, 07:42 PM   #21
F22
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

thats a pretty dope lil tank you got there... any breeding on the pelviachromis yet?
F22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 04:41 AM   #22
Payara
Algae Grower

I just wanted to thank all who helped me, commented, and followed the progress of this tank. But, this tank is no more. I went home for the Thanksgiving weekend, and my tank formed a crack on the side causing 80% of the water to leak out. My plants withered, my fish dead, and water all over the carpet.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:52 AM   #23
seds
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

OH NO dude that's bad...

It was looking pretty cool there.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:18 PM   #24
born2lovefish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)

Nice looking tank!
born2lovefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 12:28 PM   #25
!shadow!
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

ouch, sorry to hear about that, and l agree it was a nice little tank.

!shadow! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 02:53 AM   #26
TwoStrokeKing
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

this is the most amazing 9 gallon ever. update us on this tank!

You Hit The Power Band On A Two Stroke And Tell Me How You Feel.
TwoStrokeKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 04:43 PM   #27
Payara
Algae Grower

lol this tank is no more.

I was away for the weekend and some how the bottom of the tank cracked. Came back with all the water on the floor, plants dried up, and fish dead.