Finally got a little bit of plants for 5 gallon
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 07-17-2003, 02:14 AM   #1
evan
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Finally got a little bit of plants for 5 gallon

i finally got plants. my dad would only let me buy 2 because he thought they might die. I got a crypt lutea i think and a small anubia. they are in a 5 gallon tank with a baby ryukin (i hope he does not destroy them). Good thing the crypt lutea was actually a bunch... like 4 of them so i planted them seperately. its too bad they grow slowly. i have 10 watts of lighting so its pretty low light. i also have laterite and the goldfish poop is pretty good fertilizer. im thinking about getting anacharis. im on a very tight budget because im just a kid. anacharis will make good floaters and good food for my goldfish. ye ye i know the 10 gallon per goldfish rule, but he is still small. today i also went to this saltwater fish store.... that place was so cool. i saw a bunch of cool fish and live rocks. the fish were like over 200 bucks. damn. o wel. this has kind of been a pointless post. :roll:
evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2003, 01:17 PM   #2
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

Not a pointless post at all. Welcome to the board and welcome to the world of planted tanks. I hope your little setup is successful! Ryukins can chew plants up pretty good, but I don't think he'll be able to do any damage to the Anubias. The crypt, I'm not sure, but if it grows well enough, it should be able to keep up. Did you see any Java Fern at your store. They are supposed to be distasteful to fish and usually end up left alone.
Old 07-17-2003, 05:29 PM   #3
evan
Planted Tank Obsessed

java fern im guessing sells pretty quick. ive been to 6 LFS and one not so local. i have a question... a lot of the LFS have plants that are covered in algae and some that have some light algae on it. so far i have not bought any plants with algae on them. if i do, will a bleach dip help get rid of the algae? or is the only way to pull of the algae-glazed leaf and stem? cuz if i could just do an algae dip to kill the algae... i would have a heavily planted nano in no time. what do u think? will a bleach dip help :?:
Old 07-17-2003, 06:09 PM   #4
titan848
Algae Grower

Send a message via MSN to titan848

i would only recommend a bleach dip if its your last resort. Try and get plants with little to no algae at all. If it is totally covered don't try and save it. You can always pull off the effected leaves, so long as you leave some others that arn't covered. But like i said if it is totally covered i wouldn't recommend it. You can always buy them online. Ive found that easier and cheaper (surprizingly). Unfortunatly most places have a minimum order price (but thats understandable). Try www.fishvet.com thats where i ordered my plants. I ordered 25 bucks (the minumum) for my 2.5 gallon tank.

What type of lighting do you have? You just said 10W. But unless its 10 W flourcent its pretty worthless. Is it an incandecent (like a lightbulb) light or a flourecent (white and curly (im assuming its a compact flourecent))
Old 07-17-2003, 07:40 PM   #5
evan
Planted Tank Obsessed

its fluorescent. 8)
Old 07-17-2003, 07:41 PM   #6
evan
Planted Tank Obsessed

my parents won't allow me to buy plants online. :evil:
Old 07-18-2003, 03:14 AM   #7
2la
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan
ye ye i know the 10 gallon per goldfish rule, but he is still small.
This is a bad rule, actually, and I hope it doesn't get perpetuated any further. Anyone who's seen a full-grown goldfish would be hard-pressed to justify keeping them in anything smaller than 20-25 gallons each long-term. And the longer you keep them in too small containers, the more stunting that occurs. Here's a picture of a foot-long (EXcluding tail) fancy goldfish (the orange one in the center!) from a local Chinese restaurant display tank, showing the magnificent potential of these all-too-often abused (albeit inadvertently) fish. Note that the proximity and angle of the camera makes the fish look significantly smaller than it actually is:

2la is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 04:43 AM   #8
evan
Planted Tank Obsessed

actually those look like common goldfish... fancy goldfish are egg shaped. but anyway i agree with what you have to say but not everyone has the money for larger tanks, but there still are limits to how small a tank should be. anyways i have a larger tank where i will be putting him.
Old 07-18-2003, 04:46 AM   #9
evan
Planted Tank Obsessed

common goldfish are normally used for ponds because they are a lot bigger, sleeker, and faster... thus they need a lot more space. in a pond... its like 1 fish per 30 gallons or more. i don't remember. maybe 50.
Old 07-18-2003, 05:31 AM   #10
2la
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for the correction, evan (you can see I'm hardly a goldfish connoisseur!). To your point about not everyone having the money to buy larger tanks, that doesn't justify buying fish that you can't accomodate long term. But I didn't write to berate or criticize you, but to warn you about the size these fish can attain. Even fancies can reach 8"-10" under appropriate conditions. Either way, I just wanted to voice my opionion that 10 gallons per fish is really pushing it, except for temporary housing. Good luck with the new plants, and I'm sure your goldie will appreciate the housing upgrade soon.
2la is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 01:52 AM   #11
evan
Planted Tank Obsessed

o wel. i bought a a couple plants today.... now my tank is 3/4 covered. i just need to get another lighting bulb and some otos and maybye some tetras.
Old 07-19-2003, 02:03 AM   #12
Pooky125
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Pooky125 Send a message via MSN to Pooky125 Send a message via Yahoo to Pooky125 Send a message via Skype™ to Pooky125

Sounds like a nice setup, don't suppose you have a picture, do u?
Pooky125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 06:02 AM   #13
evan
Planted Tank Obsessed

sorry. i don't have a camera or a scanner . besides... its nothing comparable to yal's tanks. :shock:
Old 07-19-2003, 11:11 AM   #14
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Don't be so hard on yourself. We all started out with pathetic tanks, I think. There's a lot to learn and a lot of mistakes to be made before things start running fairly smoothly. Even us so called experts get a wrench thrown in the machine once in a while. Time and patience are real important in this hobby. Before long, you'll have a beautiful tank too. Just stick with it.

Marcel
FILSTAR Pimp #2

75 gal heavily planted,50/50 Black beauty,Eco-complete substrate, Pressurised CO2 with solenoid, ph controller, AB Reactor 1000, 330 watts 9325K GE PC lighting,Ehiem Liquidoser, 2-Filstar xp3 canisters.
m.lemay is offline   Reply With Quote