Starting a 10 gallon - crit plant list?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 02-23-2005, 05:23 AM   #1
bpm2000
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

Starting a 10 gallon - crit plant list?

foreground: dwarf hairgrass (Acicularis)

mid: Anubias Nana and Java Fern (Pteropus)

Background: Limnophila Sessiliflora or Aquatica and Hygrophila Polysperma.

The tank is a 10 gallon standard.
Lighting is a coralife 28w 6700K.
Substrate is Eco-complete.

I'm planning on doing flourish excel instead of CO2 at this point, and not exactly sure what to do with other ferts yet (probably Flourish for micros..., not sure about macros).

The tank will house 3 dwarf puffers and some shrimp hopefully.

Does all this sound good, or anything I should know/be aware of?

thx!
bpm2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2005, 08:59 PM   #2
Steven_Chong
Wannabe Guru

It will house 3 dwarf puffers and some shrimp . . . wait, where did the shrimp go? Oh well, the tank houses 3 dwarf puffers . . .

Sounds fine dude, except for the shrimp becoming munchies but that's ok. Anyway, just want to remind you to think about hard scape, and to go heavy on stem plants near the beginning. good luck!
Old 02-23-2005, 09:06 PM   #3
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)

Welcome bpm2000! Glad you've joined the community here!

The puffers will pretty much devour the shrimp! They just can't help themselves!

I think a little more light might make growing those plants easier, but it is not required.

Your plant list sounds pretty good. The hairgrass may struggle a little under the lighting, but I still think you should give it a shot. I grew hairgrass in lower light pretty well, but nothing spectacular. Your stem plants should be good for a while. They are two fast growers which will be good as your new aquarium gets established, but may require frequent maintenance. Not that maintenance is a bad thing!

Mike
Old 02-23-2005, 09:43 PM   #4
tekknoschtev
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I'll vouch for the eating of the shrimp. Sometimes though if its planted enough you can get one or two to live for a while. Dont be surprised if it ends up missing.

Also, size means nothing. Dwarf puffers will eat things many time their size... it just takes time.

They are a fun fish though. Good luck with planting the tank. If you want to see my tank (3 DPs, 3 Ottos) go to ( http://puffer.proboards2.com/index.c...num=1108237095 )

Be sure to post pictures once you get going.
tekknoschtev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 10:37 PM   #5
BlueRam
Wannabe Guru

bpm2000:

Welcome! It is good to see plant people in our fair city of Seattle. If you would like some stem plant to get going just let me know. There are a number of us that trade with some regularity.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:57 PM   #6
Clone
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Where did you get a coralife with a 28w 6700K bulb? The ones I have found all had atinic bulbs. Did you find a fixture and change the bulb?
Old 02-23-2005, 11:54 PM   #7
Aphyosemion
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Aphyosemion

Here is a couple of things to keep in mind when arranging your tank. First of all, your java ferns will most likely make background plants, not midground. They grow rather slow, but they grow tall enough to stick out of the top of the water on a 10 gallon. Second, your Hygro is gonna grow like mad and try to take over the tank about once a day. It is either a great beginner's plant, or pure, refined evil, depending on how you look at it.
The only other thing I would say is, depending on whether you want puffers or shrimp more, you will need to pick one or the other. If you were to replace the puffers with something else small and attractive that isn't going to eat them, you would find some amano shrimp to be very interesting and helpful with getting rid of algae. They also are impressive to most visitors, who usually haven't seen freshwater shrimp in a fish tank before.
Lastly, arranging a 10 gallon tank is very difficult. I have had mine up for a year and I still can't figure out the best arrangement for it. I am pondering another change for it right now. Unless you use very small plants, you will find it kinda crowded in there.
Oh, and welcome to the forum!
-Aphyosemion
Old 02-24-2005, 12:15 AM   #8
bpm2000
Planted Member

Clone: The light is http://www.hellolights.com/201xcoraqpch.html
Here is the replacement bulb (yes, the light came with a 50/50 and i bought a replacement bulb for it)
http://www.hellolights.com/28wat671116j.html

As for the puffers/shrimp, I had read of a few (luck?) people having made it work. I guess it would be better to not take the risk and waste the money on shrimp (my last tank was a marine nano-reef for my mantis shrimp, so I've had my fill of crazy shrimp for a bit!). The tank is first and foremost a puffer tank so they will still be in there - guess I'll go with otos or something for algae control. As for the hardscape, there will be a driftwood stumpish looking thing in there that I plan on scaping around.

tekknoschtev: seen your tank a few times now across different boards - looks great!
With 6 fish, how is the bioload? I am thinking of 1 oto, maybe 2, but is 3 doing well in there? Do you have to supplement them with wafers or veggies?

BlueRam: thx for the welcome - I am close to ordering some plants soon, but I just might check with the locals first and see what i can get.

Aphyosemion: thx, this is the kind of stuff I really wanted to hear. Do you (or anyone else?) have any suggestions for plants that might work well as background plants that don't grow at such an alarming rate? I thought the hygros would be good since it should compete with algae, right? But perhaps they might be more trouble than its worth. How is the growth rate on the lymnophilas?
I think I am going to stick with the anubias nana and the hairgrass up front/middle for sure. The background is what is really making me ponder... I'd like to not have to prune every other day, but I don't want something that takes forever to grow and fill out the back either.

thx for all the help thus far everyone
Old 02-24-2005, 12:29 AM   #9
tekknoschtev
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpm2000
As for the puffers/shrimp, I had read of a few (luck?) people having made it work. I guess it would be better to not take the risk and waste the money on shrimp (my last tank was a marine nano-reef for my mantis shrimp, so I've had my fill of crazy shrimp for a bit!). The tank is first and foremost a puffer tank so they will still be in there - guess I'll go with otos or something for algae control. As for the hardscape, there will be a driftwood stumpish looking thing in there that I plan on scaping around.

tekknoschtev: seen your tank a few times now across different boards - looks great!
With 6 fish, how is the bioload? I am thinking of 1 oto, maybe 2, but is 3 doing well in there? Do you have to supplement them with wafers or veggies?
Well, depends on what kind of shrimp you are talking. Ghost shrimp kinda look good, and sometimes survive. I had one mysteriously appear (i think it was a hictch hiker on a plant of mine) and its been in there for about 3 weeks now with no problem. More expensive shrimp might not be worth the risk. I have heard people keep amano shrimp with luck consistently.

The bioload is pretty good. I have a Whisper Powerfilter 2 or 3 on it, and it works great. It gets a 50% water change ever to every-other week, maybe that helps. The tank other than water changes and feeding is pretty self-sufficient. The most important thing to consider is that puffers are messy, and dont over feed. I think by not overfeeding I have been keeping the bioload in check.

Ottos, I have been told, are better in groups. I havent had to suppliment veggies, but I do have a small/baby Pleco in there to combat the hair algae, and its doing its job great. Once the hair algae is gone, so is the pleco, off to a better tank.

Thanks for the compliments on the tank. The aquascaping is never really done, infact im going to replace the blank black back of the tank with a Java Moss wall, and im getting some form of anubias for the piece of driftwood on the right.
tekknoschtev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 02:00 AM   #10
Aphyosemion
Wannabe Guru

Thumbs up

The anubias and hairgrass are perfect for a 10 gallon tank. I am actually keeping my eye out right now for some petite nana for my 10 gallon tank. Also, the long grass version of riccia looks very cool in a 10 gallon. If your lighting is high, glosso also works pretty well in the foreground, but it can also be a bit of a pain. It grows so aggressively sometimes, that it is hard to keep it from overwhelming the tank. I want to recommend Mayaca and baby's tears also as good background plants for small tanks. I have made them work rather to my satisfaction in my 1 gallon tank and am planning on trying them out in my 10 gallon as well. The cool thing about baby's tears is that you can trim it like a hedge and it will get thicker and thicker until you can shape it however you want. I have seen Takashi Amano shape it into very cool looking circles, but I am not THAT damn bored.
-Aphyosemion
Old 02-25-2005, 08:44 PM   #11
bpm2000
Planted Member

I think im going to avoid the glosso (for now at least). Im not going to supplement CO2, and I dont think my lighting is high enough to get the dense spread I'd like out of it. While this could be the same case for the hairgrass, I'll risk it there.

thx for the suggestions

ps what do you all think about brazilian pennywort in the back?
Old 03-09-2005, 07:01 PM   #12
Aphyosemion
Wannabe Guru

You can make most plants work in a 10 gallon tank, but the problem I'm having is KEEPING them working. Most stem plants seem to be able to grow to the top of my 75 gallon tank fairly well. In a 10 gallon tank you need to be in there constantly trimming and replanting or just trimming, because they outgrow their area very fast and they don't have much room to grow, vertically. I am thinking I am going to take all of my stem plants out of my 10 gallon and replace them with some petite nana and some baby's tears.
There has to be a way to make it all work that doesn't involve replanting all of the stem plants once a week. I had an easier time with my 1 gallon than my 10, cuz I KNEW that it was going to have next to no room.
-Aphyosemion
Old 03-09-2005, 10:08 PM   #13
SnyperP
Planted Member

your 28w should be enough for glosso if you get enough co2 running. I'm using 2x13w AHsupply lighting and it has no problem growing horizontally, well except in the shaded areas. The only thing i don't like about glosso is it's very invasive. I had more light but decided to run much less. I'm rather inexperienced with dosing the proper ferts and such. But all in all a 10g is a good tank to start with. You'll find out relatively fast that most standard background plants are too big for the tank. Stems are okay if you're okay with trimming weekly. Alot of people go with pure midground/foreground plants as a layout.
SnyperP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 05:18 AM   #14
bpm2000
Planted Member

Well I am definitely stuck on the idea for the hairgrass up front, and probably will have some baby's tears in the back. Everything else is pretty much a tossup at this point. Any other ideas for good background plants in a 10g? Eventually I would like to avoid the weekly pruning and have something that would grow a little slower, but it might be good to have in the beginning? How bout some crypts maybe?
Old 03-10-2005, 03:44 PM   #15
Aphyosemion
Wannabe Guru

Yeah, crypts are great. They grow relatively slowly and really don't care how much lighting you have in there. Also, like I mentioned baby's tears and petite nana would work well. The baby's tears make a good background plant, even though they are usually midground. I am trying them out in my 10 gal right now. I have made them work in my 1 gal, so I am pretty sure they will be great. Also, riccia looks great in there.
I replanted all the glosso in my 10 gal the other day, but I am debating switching it out for H. Callitrichoides. I think it would be less annoying and invasive.
-Aphyosemion