Does anybody else feel like this hobby is a double-edged sword? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Old 04-04-2011, 11:45 AM   #16
soc200
Planted Member

PTrader: (16/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by macclellan View Post
I agree. The same could be said for keeping other animals, child-rearing to a certain extent too. The fact is most people don't know nearly enough about the needs of the creatures they keep, humans included.

I agree. The same could be said for keeping other animals, child-rearing to a certain extent too. The fact is most people don't CARE nearly enough about the needs of the creatures they keep, humans included.

Fixed! Ignorance is a choice. There have been public libraries since the 17th century and the internet is free.
soc200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2011, 12:05 PM   #17
VaultBoy
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
On the other side of the hobby is us, the people who measure TDS and pH and gH and kH and temperature and ammonia and nitrites and nitrates to make sure our animals aren't suffering in any way. It's pretty much the same with any animal, there are (for lack of a better term) ignorant people who don't know what they should be doing and don't care enough to find out.
I rarely test for anything in my tanks but everything is happy, growing and breeding. Am I ignorant?
VaultBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 02:10 PM   #18
houseofcards
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (54/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaultBoy View Post
I rarely test for anything in my tanks but everything is happy, growing and breeding. Am I ignorant?
The short answer is No.

I think there's a big difference between someone that learns about something and doesn't need to test as opposed to someone that goes into Petsmart and buys a clown fish after seeing Finding Nemo" and doesn't know anything about saltwater fish and doesn't test before purchasing.
houseofcards is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 02:16 PM   #19
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaultBoy View Post
"Ignorant" would only apply to someone who makes no attempt at all to learn about what their livestock and plants need, and refuses to bother to learn after purchase, either- even when problems develop and they're offered resources.

I rarely test my tanks either, once they're established- but I do monitor them just about daily for problems and I know how to do tests or research if I do happen to find any issues.
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, August 11, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

lauraleellbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 05:28 PM   #20
Reginald2
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by soc200 View Post

I agree. The same could be said for keeping other animals, child-rearing to a certain extent too. The fact is most people don't CARE nearly enough about the needs of the creatures they keep, humans included.
I completely agree.

Humans have a really complicated place in nature, and I'm not too sure that we have precisely defined where, and how, we will choose to interact with it. I'm really only comforted by the fact that this is a pretty new problem for us.

If I think about it in the time span of the history of human life. We fought and scratched and, out of necessity, thought and lived our roles in a completely different light. We were low on the totem pole and had to think about things in terms of survival. What utility could we get, how could we bend nature to accommodate us, and would we have enough. We simply are not in the role that we were however many years ago.

I think one of the dangers that we face is to re-use thinking that has become outdated or to trade one devil for another. I would venture to say that one of the problems that we face is blind messages to consume all that we can. Consumerism and education do not often go hand in hand.

The 50 Gallon Experiment- retired
Reginald2 is online now   Reply With Quote