Suga Shack - 55 gallon - Where is my algae hiding? :( (56K) - Page 90
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 03-30-2011, 08:12 AM   #1336
chad320
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)

And my sympathies to Earl, you had to put up with this mess......

Old 03-30-2011, 07:13 PM   #1337
Karackle
Woah, I'm a Guru?!

PTrader: (16/100%)

I'm so sorry about the fish Sara!!! How is everyone doing today? Your CPD cost $200?! or was that a typo? or did I misread something?

I wish my CPDs would breed so I could send you some babies!!! Anyone know how to get the lil buggers to breed?

An iron furnace!!! I was sort of close! either way, it's very cool!

Also, I actually didn't look too bad after fishing Leo out of the mud, he was closed enough to the boards that I was able to lean over and scoop him out without actually having to get into the mud myself (though I would have if I'd had to of course ) so he's a good boy for at least not wandering too far!!! HAHAHA
I enjoy having a zoo to care for!
20gH Planted tank,5g Planted Betta Tank
Karackle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2011, 07:32 PM   #1338
sewingalot
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad320 View Post
And my sympathies to Earl, you had to put up with this mess......
Hush, you. Sticking up for the boy, I see. LOL, he went to bed early. (But he was the kind gravedigger.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karackle View Post
I'm so sorry about the fish Sara!!! How is everyone doing today? Your CPD cost $200?! or was that a typo? or did I misread something?

I wish my CPDs would breed so I could send you some babies!!! Anyone know how to get the lil buggers to breed?

An iron furnace!!! I was sort of close! either way, it's very cool!
Yup, you were very close. That's just a small bit of whats left. This place is full of iron coal. When it rains, parts of the rocks will turn orange. It's quite pretty, actually.

If you figure in the cost of all the CPDs I bought and factor in I got one baby, $200. So, unless she dies, she's the most expensive fish I've ever owned..... The best success I had was to remove the adults after watching the female closely go from plump to skinny. Easy to breed, not so easy to grow. I've found it's very easy to over feed the fry and they will often die. This one survivor actually wasn't intentional. I was tearing down a tank like 3 weeks later and found her. She ate microorganisms. I probably won't buy CPDs again. If I do, they will have to be tank raised.

As far as the tank is concerned.....5 more dead - 4 rasboras and the male CPD. I couldn't see much in the tank, but will look again when it has light on it. I want to minimize stress as long as possible, so the lights are staying off. So far the parameters are still good. Zero across the board. I'm not even fertilizing. But I plan to do some small water changes to clear it up some more.

So the million dollar question is - should I find a home for the other fish before more die? I am thinking strongly about this. I'll make up my mind soon. I'm a jerk. Poor fish. I really want to hang up my net for good after this one. My thought is to remove all the fish but a few and to let it sit for a while before I do anything. And then I'll add fish back AFTER quarantine.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:29 PM   #1339
Karackle
Woah, I'm a Guru?!

Oh no! I'm sorry to hear about more deaths Don't hang up the net though! We all make mistakes, this is by far the hardest kind to make (when you're a fish lover) but don't give up!

At this point, I would probably just let everyone that can / will recover in the tank, netting them and putting them in a new tank might be more stressful at this point, you know? But definitely quarantine new recruits

And WOW that really IS an expensive fish then! I guess I don't watch them close enough to see chubby ladies....maybe I should keep an eye out for that and see if I can get some babies. It's definitely really easy to overfeed babies, but I actually do have experience raising fry so maybe I could do it. Maybe I should move the CPDs to the 10g. Wonder if they'd be happier in there. (sorry for the thread jack lol)

VERY cool about the orange when it rains on the iron furnace!
Old 03-30-2011, 09:19 PM   #1340
msjinkzd
Rachel O'Leary

PTrader: (205/100%)
Send a message via AIM to msjinkzd

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewingalot View Post
If you figure in the cost of all the CPDs I bought and factor in I got one baby, $200. So, unless she dies, she's the most expensive fish I've ever owned..... The best success I had was to remove the adults after watching the female closely go from plump to skinny. Easy to breed, not so easy to grow. I've found it's very easy to over feed the fry and they will often die. This one survivor actually wasn't intentional. I was tearing down a tank like 3 weeks later and found her. She ate microorganisms. I probably won't buy CPDs again. If I do, they will have to be tank raised.

So the million dollar question is - should I find a home for the other fish before more die? I am thinking strongly about this. I'll make up my mind soon. I'm a jerk. Poor fish. I really want to hang up my net for good after this one. My thought is to remove all the fish but a few and to let it sit for a while before I do anything. And then I'll add fish back AFTER quarantine.
No, because thy are carrying disease.

Also, I ordered more cpd's and will replace those you lost at cost (cheap) if you like. I can also walk you through breeding them easier and feeding them easier. Just let me know when you are ready.

I like to use yarn mops, pull the mops about a day after you see mass chasing subside and place it into a small (5g or so) tank with just sponge filtration. After I see wigglers at the top (smaller than eyelashes), I will start to feed microworms. At this time, I also add an apple snail (mystery snail, pomacea diffusa). They eat uneaten foods, leave the fry alone, and their slime is basically infusoria which is a great first food.
msjinkzd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2011, 10:54 PM   #1341
sewingalot
I ♥ BBA!

Found the issue! Wnkdracer suggested flubendazole and I thought I had that on hand. It was in a small jar I got from the vet and only had dewormer written on it. So......I called up the vet that I got it from and asked them. They gave me fenbendazole. I assumed it was flu, not fen. My horrible bad. To confirm without going into details, I found a small pebble of it in one of the fish I had die today. So apparently, it didn't dissolve like I was expecting, I left the room and when the lights came on, they ate it. It was too much for them to handle. You can actually feel the bulges in some of the fish. If you look at the poor CPD in the middle, you can actually see it quite well. That explains why it failed this time but worked for everything else. So make sure you are using the right medication! (In addition to quarantine.)

Final death toll: 35 and suspecting at least two more. I am down to four rasboras. This hurts more than a bit. They are schooling fish and they are not happy. All the CPDs are gone now. Two extraordinary ordinary common guppies MIA I tore the tank apart, took all the plants out rinsed them well and didn't find them.

Well, pictures now that it is put back together. Doesn't look too bad, I actually think it has some real potential. So, Amy you are correct. At least I got to rescape.

And here are the most recently fallen fish. (If this bothers anyone, please let me know and I'll remove it.)

Onto good news!
There is no sign of ich whatsoever.

Despite beaten plants from being uprooted, co2 off and no fertilizers, all but a few plants made it. The lily is shedding leaves, but it always does that when moved around. I only have a few stems of each of the lindernia species left, but they are in good shape. MU is gone. But that's fine with me I secretly despised that plant. Erio is a little banged up, but I have plenty of it in another tank, so I'm happy.

Also, the otos are doing fabulous. They are spawning! I can't get a good picture of the eggs because of the air bubbles, from the water, but if there is any left over (not eaten), I'll be sure to snap some pics. Probably from the the massive water changes.

So between the 20+ fry I took into the store to start the disaster and the 35 dead, at least I don't have to worry about where to put them when I change out the substrate/fix the silicone. And the tank is officially no longer overstocked. So that much is good.

Kara, my dear, you can thread-jack my threads at any time. I really don't care. It's conversation, no? (And at least it's fish related unlike my off-topic monologues in here ) Once you get used to seeing the CPDs spawning behavior, it's pretty easy to notice the subtle differences in the belly size. I am sad that I have no more CPDs, but I am done with them for now. Time to let the tank rest and balance out.

Rachel, thank you for the generous offer! But I'd pay you going rate gladly. If I ever decide what to get, that is. I'll keep this in mind.

But I saved the best news for last! You will all be glad to hear that the BBA is all safe and sound. Not one fluffy hair was harmed in this process.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:52 PM   #1342
msjinkzd
Rachel O'Leary

PTrader: (205/100%)
Send a message via AIM to msjinkzd

bwahahahah! heaven forbid the bba be effected!!!!

I am so sorry for all your losses, but commend you on your exceptional attitude!
msjinkzd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2011, 12:33 AM   #1343
!shadow!
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

Sorry about your losses. I know how you feel, I just had a year old ram just randomly pass away yesterday. That was my longest kept fish I've had. Hope everything goes well down the road.

!shadow! is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2011, 01:32 AM   #1344
sewingalot
I ♥ BBA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by msjinkzd View Post
bwahahahah! heaven forbid the bba be effected!!!!

I am so sorry for all your losses, but commend you on your exceptional attitude!
Thanks. You can mourn your losses, but you have to keep moving forward while you do so. I fall down, I get up. I fall down, I get up. True failure is staying down. Mistakes happen to the best of us.

If my poor BBA was effected, I would have simply had to cut my losses in the hobby and went back to sewing. What would I use for my new setup? Nobody better mess will my algae.

Quote:
Originally Posted by !shadow! View Post
Sorry about your losses. I know how you feel, I just had a year old ram just randomly pass away yesterday. That was my longest kept fish I've had. Hope everything goes well down the road.
Thanks and sorry about your ram. It's always heartbreaking for me to loose fish. They become part of the family and each have their own little quirks and beauty.

I honestly do this for the fish, not the plants. That's why I am converting over to MTS/soil/clay/whatever else I think of between now and then method. I never understood the fish = accent pieces. Some people own fish. Fish own me.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:38 AM   #1345
SkyGrl
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

bwa hahahahaha that BBA can survive anything.. make a bomb shelter and youll be safe from the nuclear holocost!! hahaha.

that sucks that you have so many fish that died. but the rescape looks great. i think you need some color. like red ludwigia . it stays red in my no dose tank even.. i found dried amano on my floor now too.. what is going on!!! im doing a w/c tonight. maybe that will help.

ooohhhh cute cute the otos are spawning!! they are so adorable when they get so fat! hehehehe.

down with bad labels!!! bbboooooooooooo

Amy
Old 03-31-2011, 01:57 AM   #1346
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)

Oh Sara I'm so sorry about your fish!

I get those two mixed up ALL the time! on your vet for not labelling what they gave you properly, though!
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

lauraleellbp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2011, 02:45 AM   #1347
Karackle
Woah, I'm a Guru?!

well thank goodness the BBA is ok! Heaven forbid! I agree, I too am in admiration of your attitude and I agree with you, the true failure would be to stay down.

The new scape it looking lovely, it definitely has lots of potential! Can't wait to see it with the new dirt/mud/clay/etc substrate
Old 03-31-2011, 03:51 AM   #1348
sewingalot
I ♥ BBA!

37 dead and counting. Otos are spawning away like there is nothing going on.

Amy, there are actually a few stems in there that are supposed to be orange and pink, but with the lower light levels, they are all green. *grumble*

My poor little rasboras in there little school of three. One of them expired just moments ago. So the deaths may not be over yet. There is a guppy doing that shimmy shake, so I don't think she'll last. And the male isn't doing much better. I changed another large portion of water but with our possible water problems....

That's the main benefit of growing up a poor hillbilly. You learn to keep moving forward even when it hurts.

And the BBA is alive so I must embrace that.....Right?

On there behalf, the little pill bottle said see insert for ingredients. I'm the one that didn't keep the box and insert.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:08 PM   #1349
Chaos_Being
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Oh no, I'm sorry to hear about the mix-up with the medication! I can definitely see how that would be easy to do though with those similar names...I probably would have done the same thing

On the other hand, the re-scape does look like it will grow in nicely (and shouldn't take long I would think seeing how stuff grows in your tank.) And, I guess the silver lining is that you are basically being given a fresh start. You could do something completely new with your tank- anything that you've wanted to do, but couldn't because of the types of fish you had in there before?
Chaos_Being is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2011, 11:12 PM   #1350
sewingalot
I ♥ BBA!

39 and counting. There are more looking really sick. I am now starting to question whether or not to euthanize them as soon as they get that noticeble shake....I don't want to, though! They may pull through. Today I lost the guppy adult and a platty juvie. Looks like the almost adult platty is struggling. The smallest babies are doing well. I think the pieces of med was too big for them. Oto fish are still behaving normal and the three rasboras are schooling just fine. But the larger guppies and platies are struggling to pull through. I am suspecting I'll loose most of the fish. Between the trade ins and the deaths, 59 fish are gone from the tank.

I really think this is the most devastating experience I've ever faced. I know it wasn't intentional and it was an accident, but I still feel rotten. I am seriously struggling with the guilt I feel. I should have kept the box or at least the insert or I should have at least marked the bottle. But hindsight is always 20/20. I'm going to mourn my fish and learn a way to cope with this experience.

After all, like you said, I can try any fish I've been wanting but haven't because of the live bearers. Only, I'll have to think of an another name for the tank. It's given name is no longer a fit. I feel sad, but at the same time, it would be more horrible if I didn't feel remorse and grief. I'm not able to put into words the emotions I am feeling over this.

Anyway, I'm thinking I need to put back on the co2 before I loose my plants, but I am hesitating on this. I don't want to add fuel to the flames. But at the same time, the plants are starting to show signs of no co2. What to do?

On the plus side, at least it'll be easy getting out the fish for the rebuild. At this rate, they'll all fit in a 10 gallon for a few days easy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.