sam (GulfCoastAquarian) ... ? about your 2.5 nano tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 01-03-2003, 07:12 PM   #1
southflmom
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Can you tell me more about it? I'm trying to start my 2g planted tank for a betta and can find very little info on small planted tanks. Thanks! (beautiful website BTW!)

Dawn
----
29g planted community tank with mulitiple tetras, striped raphael, cories and a krib

2g hex with a betta .... currently trying to plant it
southflmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2003, 09:20 PM   #2
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

Nano planted tanks utilize the same principles as standard planted tanks - light, CO2, nutrients. The primary difference is that balance is a bit more difficult to achieve. When plants are growing well, they can deplete the tank of nutrients in very short order. Another problem I've run into is temperature. The thermostatic heaters you tend to find are too large for nano tanks. I've seen temperature fluctuations as far as plus or minus 5 degrees, stressing my fish and ultimately killing a few. I switched to a small 7.5W non-thermostatic heater I actually found at Wal-Mart and the temperature remains a relatively constant 5 degrees above room temperature (which is a relatively constant 69-74 degrees).

Anything else in particular you'd like to know, just ask. I've got some tips for lighting these small tanks (don't I always?) but I'm out of time. I'll check back on Monday.
Old 01-06-2003, 05:16 PM   #3
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

I'm back! Thanks for the comments on the website! It's in dire need of updating, though!
Old 05-30-2003, 02:41 AM   #4
anonapersona
Wannabe Guru

Hey, Gulf Coast, how about that lighting info? I just found out that my daughter bought a betta and a 2 1/2 gallon tank and wants to get some plants. I told her I'd send her a crypt wendti and some java moss and she could buy an anubias nana -- will those actually work? What sort of light will she need? Just how big is a 2.5 anyhow?
anonapersona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 01:02 PM   #5
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

The 2.5g is (whips out measuring tape) 12 x 6 x 8. They are the neatest little things. Hard to find, though!

The light I use is a swing-arm reading light powered by a 13 watt PL-type CF bulb. I got it at Home Depot for about $20 five years ago.
The bulb is either a 4100K, or even worse, a 3000K and grows quite a bit of algae if used full strength (5.2wpg!). So I covered the glass cover in a blue Wal-Mart bag and improved the color and reduced output. I've got Hygro polysperma, crypts and java moss in there right now. The Hygro is growing slowly and somewhat small. Typical of a low-light environment. I'm planning on changing the bulb to a 6500K 13w PL from bulbs.com to increase output without introducing too much yellow light.
Here's a picture...
Old 05-30-2003, 03:17 PM   #6
anonapersona
Wannabe Guru

That looks nice, I can send her crypts and java moss and hygro.

Can she add another fish to this? What would work with a betta in that size tank?
anonapersona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 03:26 PM   #7
digger
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to digger

Not much. The beta will harass anything else in the tank.
digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 04:05 PM   #8
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

Yeah, I've been thinking about getting rid of the guppies and going with a red Betta instead. The Betta would tear those guppies up pretty quick. I do have a few oto's in there, though. I'm thinking they will get along ok.
Old 07-11-2003, 07:43 PM   #9
titan848
Algae Grower

Send a message via MSN to titan848

I think i see a DIY CO2 system in there correct? Can you explain how you made it? I have a 2.5 gallon as well but im using a power head and slightly larger piece of the siphon. How do you get the CO2 to diffuse into the water? Mine takes up so much space in my tank.
Old 07-11-2003, 09:30 PM   #10
jonah
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by GulfCoastAquarian
The 2.5g is (whips out measuring tape) 12 x 6 x 8. They are the neatest little things. Hard to find, though!
They sell AGA bowfront 2.5g's at the WalMart here for about $25. I set up a 5g nano for one of my son's and now the daughter wants one. I'm thinking of setting up a 2.5 for her.

Just rambling through. :lol:
jonah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 05:51 AM   #11
Pooky125
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Pooky125 Send a message via MSN to Pooky125 Send a message via Yahoo to Pooky125 Send a message via Skype™ to Pooky125

I have one of the 5g planted AGA tanks next to my bed. Love it. Upgraded the light to a 13 watt pc tho. Grows crypts good! Might want to consiter that...
Pooky125 is offline   Reply With Quote