shrimp?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Canada

Old 02-15-2011, 07:02 PM   #1
mindy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

shrimp?

i know this is not the best time of year to be shipping shrimp (or if that is even possible) but i was wondering if there is anyone in canada, preferably in the east, who sells shrimp?

i currently have 2 tiger shrimp in a planted 10 gallon with a betta. i would love to have more. i would have more now if i had taken the net from the employee at the store when i got my first shrimp! she just didn't get it and just couldn't get any more out of the tank...

i have called the store and tried to specifically order more but they can't get them in. they can only get "assorted" shrimp and i am pretty sure the last ones they got in were way to young to be shipped. the knowledgeable employee there (she is fantastic!) said that they were even too young to know what kind of shrimp they were and a bunch died since they arrived. they were about 1/2 inch long. poor things. the good employee said that since someone (hagen?) put out a specifically marketed for shrimp tank the suppliers have had trouble keeping up with the demand.

i would really like to get some more once the weather warms up. how long can a shrimp live in a box for shipping? i live in an out of the way place in newfoundland and if something were to be shipped priority it should get to me within a few days as long as it is not too far.

so, i am just thinking i would check out any possibilities now so i can be ready once it warms up
mindy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2011, 08:12 PM   #2
Jadelin
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)

Shrimps actually tend to weather shipping better if they're juveniles. Shipping cherry shrimp at 1/4 inch is rather common. But if they are 'assorted' shrimp and they are too young to identify, it is kind of silly. I've found that the LFS near me tends to be sloppy with their shrimp, and tends to have a hybrid mess because they just throw them all in one tank.

A styrofoam-lined box and a 48 or 72 hour heat pack can get your shrimps to you in good condition if you pay for fast shipping. As long as the mail is not stopped because of weather they should be okay. (I wouldn't buy any really expensive or delicate ones that way; tiger shrimps should be okay.)
Old 02-15-2011, 09:36 PM   #3
mindy
Wannabe Guru

thanks!

i don't think it is the fault of the lfs. they get their livestock from a place in montreal and i have spoken to the knowledgeable employee a few times about it. she was frustrated about it all.

that is good to know that the shrimp should be ok in the mail. i think that 3 days is not too much to ask canada post to do as long as it is coming from eastern canada (and i pay for fast shipping).
Old 03-13-2011, 07:54 AM   #4
Piphobbit
Algae Grower

Hey there Mindy,
I'm from Montreal and have found ads on Kijiji Montreal for yellow and blue pearl shrimp, but the seller is in Toronto.
http://montreal.kijiji.ca/c-pets-oth...AdIdZ264721197

The ad is in french unfortunately, but I'm sure if you email the guy he can respond in english I've personally never bought from him, but I've been thinking about it!

Hope this helps!
Piphobbit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2011, 02:01 PM   #5
mindy
Wannabe Guru

thanks!

since then my lfs has been able to get shrimp in. they had really nice, huge, yamato shrimp there the last time i was in. unfortunately my water was going haywire at the time and i wasn't able to get them. hopefully next weekend when i go into town again.

i will look for the guy you mentioned just in case though!
Old 03-15-2011, 02:34 AM   #6
Piphobbit
Algae Grower

Sure! No prob
Piphobbit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.