Planting Stem Plants
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 02-26-2005, 06:53 PM   #1
Anthony
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Planting Stem Plants

When you plant stem plants, is it true that you have to plant every stem individually, or can you plant a couple stems bunched together.
Filstar pimp #53

How comes shoppings so stupid, looks at all this stuff I haves, what do I do's with it.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2005, 09:39 PM   #2
BSS
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

I've done both. Typically with really small leaved plants (such as H. micranthmoides...pearlweed, baby tears) I'll grab 3-5 stems and stick them in the ground. With bigger leaved plants like a L. repens, I'll go individual.
Old 02-26-2005, 10:15 PM   #3
glass-gardens.com
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

I generally try to plant them seperately initially, otherwise I end up with a lot of dead leaves on the lower stems from lack of light but that's just a personal preference. Some stem plants do seem to do better when planted seperately, I think they also get a better start in general because light can reach the whole stem.
glass-gardens.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 10:17 PM   #4
Kris
Planted Tank Enthusiast

i just rescaped (and bleach dipped the plants and the driftwood and the rocks...) and the stem plants were really bare from the midpoint down. i had planted them as a big bunch (tied together loosely). i replanted them individually and while they look funny now, i think that each stem will fill out nicely now.
we'll see.

30 gallon tall, pressurized CO2...killer lights
50 gallon long, killer filtration, low tech otherwise
Kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 11:50 PM   #5
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (3/100%)

Freshly cut stems will do best if seperated and they get light right to the base, once they get established you can easily just push them towards each other using what we call affectionately... The Bulldozer Method

Works great... just put your fingers into the sub a little bit and slide the plant over substrate and all. You can easily tighten up a patch of stem plants this way. Just do it slowly and its easy.

I have moved plants 2-3" this way.
Old 02-27-2005, 12:07 AM   #6
shalu
Wannabe Guru

Can you tell I am using plant weights in this pic? I grow most stem plants with plant weight. they don't use the substrate much because they hardly have time to grow roots before the next pruning is due. Anybody want to buy my used Flourite?
10gallon Tonina tank, 2x15w T6 ODNO 4x
---------------------
I will do aquascapes after I collect all the plant species and grow them to perfection.
shalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 02:01 AM   #7
glass-gardens.com
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I like Buck's "bulldozer" idea, might have to try it sometime.

I usually just use the prunings to fill in bare areas, and pruning the plants seems to make them branch out better.

I just planted about 20 stems of rotala about a week ago, they'd been in the store long enough to develop roots on each stem, just plugged them into the substrate and I've got about 4 inches of growth, I'll be pruning them sometime next week at which point I'll use the trimmings to fill in the patch.

Usually with stem plants, I like to let them float for a few days before I plant them, sometimes longer. I've had a lot better results getting them to root that way. Lead weights get tossed immediately, all I get from them is a bunch of floating plants and broken rotted stems wrapped in lead at the bottom.
glass-gardens.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 01:52 PM   #8
lowcoaster
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

I use weights (basically thin lead wire) with all of the bunch plants I get in and, for the most part, get nice rooted bunches. The key is not to bind them too tightly---there is a fine line between secure and constricted.