Ohio!!! - Page 7
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Ohio

Old 02-03-2011, 06:01 PM   #91
Armonious
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

I would think that either of these two would work: http://www.greenleafaquariums.com/co...-splitter.html

or

http://www.greenleafaquariums.com/co...-manifold.html

Maybe give Orlando over at GLA a message or call to discuss the options. I'm no expert on this topic, so I don't want to lead your opionion one way or the other. I have spoken with Orlando over the phone, and he really is a great guy to deal with. I particularly like it when I don't get the 'salesman pitch' from somebody trying to get me to purchase a more expensive option. Orlando is a straight shooter, and will help analyze what will suit you best, which may differ from what may suit his wallet best. A top notch guy if you ask me.
Armonious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2011, 06:14 PM   #92
problemman
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (43/100%)

I will be sure to call him shortly thanks a ton. Let you know what he says ans what I offered lol
I sell plants but not green thumbs, sorry.
problemman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2011, 07:17 PM   #93
aman74
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armonious View Post
I don't have any direct experience, but if I had to give it a shot based on what I know about otehr CO2 setups, I would imagine that a 24 oz tank would give 3 months, possibly 4, at the rate that you are running it.

Honestly, at anything greater than a 29gal, my personal preferance is to use a 5# cylinder or larger. They tend to cost less to fill overall, and don't need to be filled as much. The initial investment is higher, but I think it is worth it.

However, if I had the choice again, I probably would go with a paintball setup on my 10gal. The 5# behemoth sitting in my stand takes up more room than I like. There is also the fact that it is cheaper overall, which is appealing as well.
Just wanted to get your thoughts as the last 2 paragraphs seem to contradict each other concerning fill costs.

Wouldn't the 5# or more setup cost less over time to fill? Also, above you recommended 2 20 oz. cylinders for less cost. Seems counterintuitive. Not saying your wrong, just trying to understand as I'm looking to do some setups as well.

Nice to see a fellow local. Let me know if you'd ever like to swap plants or stock sometime. I should be set-up in a couple months after I move.

-Anthony
aman74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2011, 07:49 AM   #94
Armonious
Planted Tank Obsessed

I suppose I was a bit contradictory in there. I didn't mean to be. Let me enumerate.

2.5# and up cylinders almost always cost less over time in terms of filling. Quite simply, welding shops tend to charge less per unit of CO2 filled than do places like paintball shops.

My reasoning in the last paragraph in the post you quoted was as follows: In the 60-P stand that I built, my CO2 setup takes up a relatively large amount of space. I would rather use this space to put in some shelving units or something similar to aid in storage of my fertilizers and other tank parts. A paintball setup is smaller than my current setup, so that would allow me to have built in shelving units to the stand.

It is more of a storage thing than anything else. I live in a college dorm, so space is pretty limited as it is. I a lucky enough to have enough room for my setup, so I just wish I was able to use the space in my stand a bit more effectively.

Sorry if I caused any confusion in the post you referenced.I hope it is clear now.

On another note, I would like to meet up with some locals some time. I am fairly minimalist when it comes to plant selection, so I probably won't have much variety. I tend to favor foreground plants, since my current tank is an iwagumi. I am going to try to do some immersed growth near the end of the school year and during the summer, so hopefully I would have at least a decent amount to trade by then.
Armonious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2011, 05:39 PM   #95
aman74
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks Armonious for the follow up. Practical considerations often come into play, not just bang for the buck.

I'm looking to meet up in the future as well so you or anybody else who's interested feel free to PM me. I just don't have anything going right now as I'm in the middle of a move.
aman74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2011, 04:33 AM   #96
TroutfishOhio
Algae Grower

Hi everyone,
I'm from North Baltimore OH (Between Bowling Green and Findlay). Haven't posted much, but have lurked and learned a lot from TPT, so Thanks!

I haven't personally been to or bought from Sweet Aquatics in Hamilton OH north of Cinci, but they specialize in planted tanks and their website looks good http://www.sweetaquatics.com/ Anyone dealt with them?

Currently looking for some RCS and Neolamp Multifasciatus that I can drive to pick up.

-Tim
TroutfishOhio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2011, 06:50 AM   #97
problemman
Planted Tank Guru

Have not delt with sweet aquatics personally but have heard good things but I'm a little sceptical. Either way you could try but I would try the swap and shop first.

As for fish greater akron aquarium society is having an auction march 6th it starts at 11 and they most likely will have what you want and more.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:02 AM   #98
justin182
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (56/100%)

Well, I couldn't find where Pinnacle Woods Pro Shop was, so I ended up getting a 24 oz tank at Synergy Paintball in Olmsted Falls. A new 24 oz tank filled at ~$35 after tax. You can also buy one from Amazon for $25 shipped, and it costs $3-4 to fill it up there. I just don't feel like waiting!

Time to rig it up!
justin182 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2011, 07:16 PM   #99
pweifan
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (54/100%)

I'm late finding this thread, but I'm hoping to revive it. I'm in South Euclid, near Cleveland. I'm starting a new 15 gallon tank right now using the Dry Start Method. When I fill it, I'll be setting up Paintball CO2. I'm just curious how everyone's has turned out? Did you do it all yourself, or did you buy a kit from jaggedfury?
pweifan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2011, 08:06 PM   #100
gnovince
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by pweifan View Post
I'm late finding this thread, but I'm hoping to revive it. I'm in South Euclid, near Cleveland. I'm starting a new 15 gallon tank right now using the Dry Start Method. When I fill it, I'll be setting up Paintball CO2. I'm just curious how everyone's has turned out? Did you do it all yourself, or did you buy a kit from jaggedfury?
I could not be any happier with the paintball setup! I've setup two of them by myself. I ordered the needlevalve from ebay and tank and gauge off of Amazon. I got the rest from homedepot. Whole setup cost me roughly $65 including tank! The only negative is I didn't know about this about 5 years ago! Changing DIY co2 every 1-2 weeks gets very old and now I don't have to worry about that anymore!!!! I highly, HIGHLY recommend!!!
gnovince is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2011, 08:14 PM   #101
problemman
Planted Tank Guru

Check craigslist in your area for paint ball stuff you can prob get a tank for cheap then go get it filled and buy the regulator setup from jaggedfurry be cheaper that way
Old 02-23-2011, 08:29 PM   #102
Burks
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Other than strictly paintball stores, anyone know some major shops (like Dicks/Wal-Mart/etc) that would fill paintball tanks? All the fields around here are closed.
Filstar Pimp #84
Burks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2011, 08:37 PM   #103
problemman
Planted Tank Guru

Dicks does for 4 bucks
Old 02-23-2011, 08:39 PM   #104
Loligo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Loligo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burks View Post
Other than strictly paintball stores, anyone know some major shops (like Dicks/Wal-Mart/etc) that would fill paintball tanks? All the fields around here are closed.
I get mine filled at Dick's. It's like $4 or $5 for a 24oz. And I think after 5 refills, the 6th is free.
Loligo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2011, 10:05 AM   #105
justin182
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (56/100%)

Good to know!!
justin182 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.