Ongoing algae problem
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 02-06-2011, 10:42 PM   #1
Daniel Powers

PTrader: (0/0%)

Ongoing algae problem

I need help. I've had aquariums for years with no major problems. But I can't figure this one out. I'm hoping someone can enlighten me.

I have a 65 gallon, tall, freshwater planted tank. It's been set up since May 2008. It's relatively heavily planted, with maybe a dozen fish. Fish and plants are healthy and thriving.

For two years the tank was beautiful and I did normal maintenance on it.

Than late late last spring (May?) the water in the tank turned milky/chalky, and then turned green. I figured it was algae and that I could get rid of it with some effort. Tested the water chemistry and everything was in normal ranges. I did appropriate water changes. Made sure that I wasn't overfeeding. Made sure there was no decaying plant matter. Did more water changes. Nothing helped.

In August (three months later) I replaced both compact flourescents (1 actinic 420nm 96w and 1 daylight 6700 96w), and continued with water changes, water tests, etc. The water stayed green.

In December (another four months later) I emptied the entire tank, replanted it, and it looked great for about three weeks. Then the water turned milky, then green, and my tank looks like the Emerald City again, and I'm finding that I'm no Oz.

I have an Eheim canister filter which pumps 250g/h.

Any ideas? I'm about to try replacing the actinic light with a second daylight bulb. Any thoughts? Recommendations?

Thanks for your help!
Daniel Powers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2011, 11:09 PM   #2
thewife
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

perhaps reduce your lighting and/or photoperiod, add flow, and regular water changes until it clears up. you haven't said what you've been doing for fertilizer + co2, but it may be possible that your plants aren't getting enough nutrients to outcompete the algae. that seems to be about the par-for-the-course solution around here
thewife is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2011, 12:26 AM   #3
DarkCobra
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

That is a lot of light. Can you run only one bulb? Or raise the fixture so the tank receives less light? If you can't do either, try adding a few layers of window screen to block some of it out.

Then hit the algae hard with a three day blackout. Perform a 50% water change each day to remove dead or dying algae and the nutrients/toxins it might release.

Hopefully this will be enough to loosen the greenwater's hold on your tank for good.
DarkCobra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2011, 02:38 AM   #4
tlawrenson
Algae Grower

Might seem a little simple but a friend of mine actually did this. He bought a coconut shell from a pet store assuming it was for a fish tank (its for a terrerium) after a few days he had a major algea bloom, worst i've ever seen infact. Now i'm not saying you've done exactly this but have a good look for anything along those lines, did you add any driftwood? If so was it properly prepared? Just a thought.
tlawrenson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2011, 09:53 PM   #5
Daniel Powers

Thanks for all of your posts. I appreciate you taking the time. I was sort of thinking that there wasn't enough light, that the plants (who are getting liquid fertilizer twice a week) weren't getting enough of the proper light, while the algae was thriving with measly light quality. I had reduced the amount of hours the lights were on, but it made no different. The idea of a three-day black out is about the only thing I haven't tried. I'll give it a go and see what happens.
Daniel Powers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2011, 09:54 PM   #6
Kibblemania1414
Planted Tank Enthusiast

i also like the flow idea. nice!
Kibblemania1414 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
65 gallon, algae, freshwater, lighting, planted tank

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.