Thinking about starting a 5 gallon planted, any suggestions?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 02-18-2005, 04:56 PM   #1
Canoe2Can
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Thinking about starting a 5 gallon planted, any suggestions?

I'm thinking about starting a 5.5 gallon nano for my office, and I'm hoping to get some expert advice, never having done a nano before. My plans right now are:
regular 5.5 tank (16 x 8 x 10)
14W NO flourescent (probably a 9325K)
20 lbs of Eco-Complete (maybe I'll throw in this box of Terralit I have sitting around)
Plants would be Anubia nana and some Java moss on driftwood, not really sure what else would work well in a tank this size.
Fish??? Maybe some small colorful tetras. No more guppies for sure.

Never done a nano before, so any broad helpful advice would be appreciated. Thanks much,

C2C
Canoe2Can is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2005, 03:11 AM   #2
Thanks
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoe2Can
I'm thinking about starting a 5.5 gallon nano for my office, and I'm hoping to get some expert advice, never having done a nano before. My plans right now are:
regular 5.5 tank (16 x 8 x 10)
14W NO flourescent (probably a 9325K)
20 lbs of Eco-Complete (maybe I'll throw in this box of Terralit I have sitting around)
Plants would be Anubia nana and some Java moss on driftwood, not really sure what else would work well in a tank this size.
Fish??? Maybe some small colorful tetras. No more guppies for sure.

Never done a nano before, so any broad helpful advice would be appreciated. Thanks much,

C2C
youre on the right track, but if you only want to go for Anubias nana and Java moss, then there is no need for the Eco-Complete, regular sand will be fine. You could go for riccia, glosso, hairgrass, or other small plants if you want to go for some more diversity. If you get glosso or hairgrass, you will need the eco complete... go ahead and get it anyway, in case you decide on some heavier root feeders later.

Neons would be great for this tank, or white clouds, or other small tetras which i cant think of now. Also, cherry shrimp would look great here! Whatever you decide, good luck with it and have fun!
Old 02-20-2005, 07:56 PM   #3
Canoe2Can
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for the input so far, but I am starting to wonder if anyone ever visits this section of the forum. One reply in three days!

I was under the impression from my plant books that Anubias require rich substrate. Is this not the case? And how much light does hairgrass require? I don't want this to be a high light tank, so I'll stay away from the glosso.

Any suggestions for a filter? I was thinking of the Azoo Palm filter. I don't want anything with too much current, and it seems like I have a hard time finding anything else with less than 100 gph flow rate.

As for fish, I've done neons, and I don't care for white clouds. I'd like to have something kinda unusual.
Old 02-20-2005, 08:06 PM   #4
Thanks
Planted Tank Enthusiast

well... for unusual fish, i dont know... in such a small tank, i would go for neons, or cherry shrimp. Anything else is kinda risky... maybe you could get away with a single ram, but nothing else. You will need Ottos, get 2 or 3, they look kinda unusual...

ask around in the 'fish' section.

Filter sounds good, and for hairgrass, 2-2.5 wpg is fine. Anubias nana can grow on driftwood; its roots are mainly for anchoring, as with java fern. I have a bunch of anubias growing in the substrate and moving halfway up some wood, and surprisingly, the 'wood' anubias grows faster, and 2 of them have flowers.
Old 02-20-2005, 08:17 PM   #5
hoffboy
Planted Tank Obsessed

What do you have against White Clouds? I think they're lovely, and they are VERY tough.
hoffboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2005, 11:18 PM   #6
Steven_Chong
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

H. Amandae (ember tetra), is a gorgeous, and risiliant little fish that grows to be less than an inch long. You could also try some dwarf killifish like A. normani (lamp eye killi).
Old 02-20-2005, 11:20 PM   #7
Kris
Planted Tank Enthusiast

if you did a tank this size, could you get away with ambient light?

30 gallon tall, pressurized CO2...killer lights
50 gallon long, killer filtration, low tech otherwise
Kris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2005, 02:06 AM   #8
Canoe2Can
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ember tetra, eh? Sounds interesting. I think I've seen someone else here on the forum talk about them. Small, colorful, and not something that I see all the time, that's pretty much what I'd like.

As for white clouds, they meet the first two criteria but not the third. Same with neons. I'd thought about the killifish as well, especially since a lot of them are native to West Africa. I always try to match the plants and the fish to the same region as much as possible.

I'd be afraid to use ambient light since it's not nearly as controllable. I'd be afraid of ending up with a green soup or, given the fact that this is Western PA, dead plants from lack of light (solar power will not catch on around here anytime soon).
Old 02-21-2005, 03:54 AM   #9
Thanks
Planted Tank Enthusiast

yea, ambient light= nono.

in the carribean, maybe. in PA, nono.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.