Is it ok to...
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 02-20-2005, 02:34 AM   #1
ronin
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question

Is it ok to...

leave the small metal strips that most LFS' use to keep a bunch of stem plants together on when I plant them in my tank? Cause I have the darndest time trying to plant stem plants without them. Keeps floating up at any disturbance. Any trick to planting stuff with very thin stems like baby's tears?
ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2005, 02:42 AM   #2
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)

I would remove the weights. For one, with the plants all bunched together, the weights tend to lead to the bottoms of the plants rotting away. If that happens, the plants may never send out a good set of roots. They will eventually float off. Secondly the plants will also suffer from the crowding above the substrate. The light ill have a difficult time reaching to the bottom of the stems. The stems will more than likely remain bare and could also rot away due to lack of light.

To plant things with small stems, use a thiner tweezer. I have found that makes a huge difference. the thinner tweezer makes it easier to hold the plant and stick the stem into the substrate. Thinner tweezers make the process of planting a large mass of small stems easier because of the thin profile they cut down on pulling up already planted stems. I use a thin tweezer and love it. There was a time when I would trim my Baby Tears and wind up replanting up to 125 stems. It was boring, but it would have been frustrating without a thin pair of tweezers.

Mike
Old 02-20-2005, 03:45 PM   #3
Creedog
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

To me, it depends on the subrate that you are using and the plant itself on how you plant it. Lets take moneywort for example. Thin plant with a strong stem. I split each bunch into two and cut the weight in half and wrap each bunch and plant.

The factor for me is usually keeping the plant in the ground. You can usually get one in there fine, but try planting a few right around it and one is bound to float away. At least this is how this happens for me. I am a bull in a china shop, btw.

Once the plants grow a few roots then you have what you need to plant them how you need to plant them.

I find that keeping them in small bunches untill they start to establish makes my work easier.
Creedog is offline   Reply With Quote