Compacta Sword baby plants
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 02-14-2005, 08:59 PM   #1
motifone
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Compacta Sword baby plants

I have 2 nice compacta swords, each of which has thrown up a verticle runner toward the surface, sprinkled with medium sized baby plants. Aside from the dangling roots, I don't mind the look of these plants on the vertical runner. I'm wondering, though, since it is a Sword, will these babies eventually die off if their roots can't reach the substrate. Is it essential I plant them? Or can I leave them on the runner, which is still attached to the mother plant. I'm somewhat tight on floor space.
motifone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2005, 09:19 PM   #2
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (8/100%)

They'll be fine on the runner. Just make sure that they're not pulling too much from the mother plant (give her a root tab every once in awhile). I've got some emersed ozelot sword babies that are without roots and the shoot flowers every few days. So far, no problems with either the plantlets or mother plant and this has been occurring since the shoot broke the water surface (over a month now).

Ibn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2005, 10:16 PM   #3
ringram
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (66/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram

Can't you either manually bury it in substrate if the runner stem is long enough, or detach it once roots are formed and plant it yourself? Just an idea, I don't know for sure.

SAPS member - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sacaquaticplant/
ringram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2005, 10:27 PM   #4
motifone
Planted Tank Enthusiast

thanks guys,

good to know.

yes, I could detach the babies and plant them. But at the moment I am short on ground space and they get more light now on the verticle runner than they would if I tried to plant them at the moment.
Old 02-16-2005, 03:09 AM   #5
motifone
Planted Tank Enthusiast

another afterthought --

when i got this plant (compacta sword), the leaves were oval in shape. The newer leaves on the mother plant and the babies have not been nearly as oval, much thinner. The light has become a touch shaded where they are planted. Just curious if anyone else has seen these leaf shapes...
Old 02-17-2005, 03:46 AM   #6
Anthony
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Yes, mine was shipped with 3 babies (yay!!) and all of them have much narrower leaves. I planted 2 of them shaded by stem plants, and 1 in a 5 gallon with 10 watts of light a month ago and all are doing fine.
Filstar pimp #53

How comes shoppings so stupid, looks at all this stuff I haves, what do I do's with it.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.