Is my car going to die - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Old 01-31-2011, 06:45 AM   #16
Sharkfood
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

My money is on CV joints or possibly a wheel bearing. Jack the car up, lock the steering, and see if you can wobble the wheel by hand (make sure the whole steering knuckle isn't moving. That's more about the tie rods.). If so, the bearing is shot. If it tends to click when you turn, it's more likely a cv joint. Warped rotors usually are only noticeable when you apply the brake. The fact that it changes frequency as you accelerate, means its most likely near the wheel. If it was engine related, it would change tempo or pitch with every shift of the transmission.

You could also have broken belts in your tire if they're severely worn, which can cause noise and wobbling.
Sharkfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2011, 06:47 AM   #17
Eden Marel
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (38/100%)

Yeah, it's been going on for at least 4 months now, hopefully isn't gonna blow up anytime soon.

Well now I told this all to my mom and she doesn't want me to drive the car, cuz she is afraid the tires might fly out and kill someone just like what happened to someone on the news. I filled out the form to see the service techs at the Dealer's, but my mom is gonna call them tomorrow and try to get me in ASAP.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:48 AM   #18
HypnoticAquatic
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

if your car is pulling when u stop it should be your brake system warn pad, warped rotor or calaper piston is sticking. if you open your hood and just grab the base of the fan u can pull on it up or down and it shouldnt move up or down should only spin, now after u say it pulls when u stop i belive its going to be your brakes its more of a wear part than your fan. if the car pulls to the side while ur driving to i would check the alignment and tire pressure.
if your tires arent balanced or the weight came off it can and will give u a tire wobble while u drive, it can be unnoticeable at lower speeds. its hard to say without listening to it or driving it but u now have some ideas on what it probably is(brakes) a dealership will charge alot more than a shop though just some food for thought norm there like 85+hr shop rate thats why i always go to a garage shop. hope it helps
HypnoticAquatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:51 AM   #19
Eden Marel
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkfood View Post
My money is on CV joints or possibly a wheel bearing. Jack the car up, lock the steering, and see if you can wobble the wheel by hand (make sure the whole steering knuckle isn't moving. That's more about the tie rods.). If so, the bearing is shot. If it tends to click when you turn, it's more likely a cv joint. Warped rotors usually are only noticeable when you apply the brake. The fact that it changes frequency as you accelerate, means its most likely near the wheel. If it was engine related, it would change tempo or pitch with every shift of the transmission.

You could also have broken belts in your tire if they're severly worn, which can cause noise and wobbling.

Ohh okay, well I'm not familiar with all that stuff. I only know how to change the tires (though it has been years since I've last done it) and pump the tires up with air, change headlights and fill the coolant and windshield wash, that's it. I'm not even sure my jack can lift up the car that high, does it need to be high? o_O
Old 01-31-2011, 06:59 AM   #20
kwangtzu
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Subarus have strong car clubs. This one is in Colorado: http://subieco.webs.com/ This one is national, but someone on there live in your area: www.nasioc.com

If you don't check your oil, I'm guessing you aren't going to jack up your car and check for bearing wear or a loose fan, but one of the people in the club might be able to tell you where to best get your car worked on and might even be willing to take a look at it for you. Looks like their next meeting is on the 4th, if you show up with your car, you could get better advise than any of us can give you.
kwangtzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:29 AM   #21
boringname
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eden Marel View Post
Yeah, it's been going on for at least 4 months now, hopefully isn't gonna blow up anytime soon.

Well now I told this all to my mom and she doesn't want me to drive the car, cuz she is afraid the tires might fly out and kill someone just like what happened to someone on the news. I filled out the form to see the service techs at the Dealer's, but my mom is gonna call them tomorrow and try to get me in ASAP.
If that other guy is right about the CV boot than maybe your mom's fears are well grounded. A leaking CV boot can cause one tire to slowly stop turning causing the car to veer to that side. But checking CV boots is easy and I think its part of a standard oil change. Or at least its checked during a tune up. When you get your oil change don't skimp by going to places that just change the oil, make sure you get the standard list of checks done.
boringname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:17 AM   #22
jreich
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

+1 for the cv boot, but it may be something very simple like the inside of the wheel well is rubbing on the tire. there is a piece of plastic that kind of snaps into the wheel well, make sure that is secure and not flopping around. i have had that before...
or if it sounds more like a rattleing noise it may be something like a heat shield is loose, both of these issues are very easy to fix, so it may not be as bad as you think it is.
jreich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:36 PM   #23
Eden Marel
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwangtzu View Post
Subarus have strong car clubs. This one is in Colorado: http://subieco.webs.com/ This one is national, but someone on there live in your area: www.nasioc.com

If you don't check your oil, I'm guessing you aren't going to jack up your car and check for bearing wear or a loose fan, but one of the people in the club might be able to tell you where to best get your car worked on and might even be willing to take a look at it for you. Looks like their next meeting is on the 4th, if you show up with your car, you could get better advise than any of us can give you.
Okay well, my mom scheduled to have me bring it to the Subaru Dealer on the 4th so I'm kinda outta luck. I'll keep those in mind next time when this car has a problem, which will probably be in a few month after this gets fixed. Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boringname View Post
If that other guy is right about the CV boot than maybe your mom's fears are well grounded. A leaking CV boot can cause one tire to slowly stop turning causing the car to veer to that side. But checking CV boots is easy and I think its part of a standard oil change. Or at least its checked during a tune up. When you get your oil change don't skimp by going to places that just change the oil, make sure you get the standard list of checks done.
Yea, sometime ago the new reported on an fatal accident regarding someone was driving on the highway, their wheel flew out and killed someone driving on the opposite side of the traffic.

I know for sure Oil Can Henry doesn't just change the oil when they do the change. They are always doing something UNDER the car, what exactly I don't know... o_O
http://www.oilcanhenrys.com/services...ice_oil_change

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreich View Post
+1 for the cv boot, but it may be something very simple like the inside of the wheel well is rubbing on the tire. there is a piece of plastic that kind of snaps into the wheel well, make sure that is secure and not flopping around. i have had that before...
or if it sounds more like a rattleing noise it may be something like a heat shield is loose, both of these issues are very easy to fix, so it may not be as bad as you think it is.
No not a rattling, definitely a humming weird helicopter-like sound, wom wom wom wom.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:42 PM   #24
Cuchulainn
Planted Tank Obsessed

Constant velocity joint is my guess as well. I suggest taking it to two different garages, have them test drive it with you in the vehicle with them. If it is a cv boot, they'll both tell you that right away. A good mechanic has an ear so to speak for these things.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:54 PM   #25
nalu86
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

Maybe gear broken in the gear box, explains the sound when you go over 35mph, second, check your belts! maybe your ac pump or alternator came loose...?

Oil was low in car, no red light came on?... for a 2003 car almost impossible,(or if the red light does not work, but you should have seen this when you put the key in the contact!) same for low in cooling fluid, your temp gauge should have told u that the car was overheating!!

If you would have a more ticking sound, its possible that your valves are bent from overheating when you were low in oil and cooling Fluid.

bring ur car in for maintainance asap!! go to a cheap one , they will know!

Also ask for alignment of your wheels, the one they put the sensors on the car, comp will tell how much the wheels are off of the scale (cost between $20 and $100)
nalu86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:03 PM   #26
Dave-H
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwangtzu View Post
Yea people in Colorado are crazy for Subaru's. When we move here, an incredibly amount of people insisted that we get a Subaru and were crazy for considering anything else. It started to get weird and cultish - people were to emotionally connected to their cars.

We bought a 2002 AWD Volvo station wagon for 7k and it's a trooper.

Eden, most auto repair shops will give a free estimate unless there are some extraordinary circumstances. Dealers really can be expensive so a local or alternative shop is probably a good idea.

"The fewer our wants, the nearer we resemble the gods." Socrates

Dave-H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:08 PM   #27
Svynx
Algae Grower

Coming from a subaru owner, I'd first check tires (tread, balance, alignment), then go to brakes (rotors, pads). Then check the wheel bearing. The mechanic only has to remove the hub and axle (very easily done...took mine off in about 15 minutes). The CV joints can be checked at that point as well.

You said your parent replaced the tires and rotated them at some point. Did they get all 4? These cars require buying all 4 at the same time. I know for my subaru I have to have less than 3/32" difference in tread from tire to tire otherwise it wears down on the 3 (yes three) differentials.

Also keep in mind that these cars are naturally louder.

And, as Kwangtzu said, there are a lot of forums out there strictly for your car. Look up "www.nasioc.com". That is a very common one that has a lot of good information on it.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:22 PM   #28
mattycakesclark
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)

Call Car Talk. They are great help lol
mattycakesclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:03 PM   #29
Eden Marel
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuchulainn View Post
Constant velocity joint is my guess as well. I suggest taking it to two different garages, have them test drive it with you in the vehicle with them. If it is a cv boot, they'll both tell you that right away. A good mechanic has an ear so to speak for these things.
Okay I will ask if they would like me to drive them around so they can hear the noise for themselves!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalu86 View Post
Maybe gear broken in the gear box, explains the sound when you go over 35mph, second, check your belts! maybe your ac pump or alternator came loose...?

Oil was low in car, no red light came on?... for a 2003 car almost impossible,(or if the red light does not work, but you should have seen this when you put the key in the contact!) same for low in cooling fluid, your temp gauge should have told u that the car was overheating!!

If you would have a more ticking sound, its possible that your valves are bent from overheating when you were low in oil and cooling Fluid.

bring ur car in for maintainance asap!! go to a cheap one , they will know!

Also ask for alignment of your wheels, the one they put the sensors on the car, comp will tell how much the wheels are off of the scale (cost between $20 and $100)
The lights do come up very short when you turn on the car, so yes the lights do work but I guess it wasn't low enough for the light to alert me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-H View Post
Yea people in Colorado are crazy for Subaru's. When we move here, an incredibly amount of people insisted that we get a Subaru and were crazy for considering anything else. It started to get weird and cultish - people were to emotionally connected to their cars.

We bought a 2002 AWD Volvo station wagon for 7k and it's a trooper.

Eden, most auto repair shops will give a free estimate unless there are some extraordinary circumstances. Dealers really can be expensive so a local or alternative shop is probably a good idea.
Okay I will try to find someone other than the dealer as well. Last time I had to have my Air Conditioner repaired the 3rd party cost $150 more than getting it done at the Dealer's...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svynx View Post
Coming from a subaru owner, I'd first check tires (tread, balance, alignment), then go to brakes (rotors, pads). Then check the wheel bearing. The mechanic only has to remove the hub and axle (very easily done...took mine off in about 15 minutes). The CV joints can be checked at that point as well.

You said your parent replaced the tires and rotated them at some point. Did they get all 4? These cars require buying all 4 at the same time. I know for my subaru I have to have less than 3/32" difference in tread from tire to tire otherwise it wears down on the 3 (yes three) differentials.

Also keep in mind that these cars are naturally louder.

And, as Kwangtzu said, there are a lot of forums out there strictly for your car. Look up "www.nasioc.com". That is a very common one that has a lot of good information on it.
I know they got all four rotated, but not sure about buying 4 NEW wheels... knowing them they could have just bought one or two new tires.

I had all four brakes plus some sort of belt changed late 2009 or early 2010 due to the BRAKE light lighting up when I was driving one very snowy day. But ever since they changed it, I always thought my wheels/brakes were a little..... off, to me at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattycakesclark View Post
Call Car Talk. They are great help lol
Umm lol o.o strange website
Old 01-31-2011, 10:41 PM   #30
elpezpr
Planted Member

As I have learned the hard way when a car is not functioning properly every mile you drive it turns into more cash for the repair. Something that might cost you $250 to fix could and will turn into a $500+ repair. My recommendation is to stop driving the car now.